Ireland A to face Saxons in Churchill final

(IRB.COM) Monday 15 June 2009
By Dave Barton, RFU
From Glendale, Colorado

Ireland A can wrestle the Churchill Cup crown from England Saxons when they meet in the Churchill Cup final at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, Denver next Sunday (21 June 21, 2.30pm local time).

Their 40-5 victory over a battling Georgian team at an Infinity Park, Glendale which flirted with tornado conditions - there were four warnings - secured their first ever final in a tournament won the last two years by the Saxons.

Canada will meet Argentina Jaguars in the Plate final (12.05pm) while USA face Georgia in the Bowl to complete a bumper triple header day at Dick's (4.45pm).

Ireland A, who have finished third for the past three years, now have a crack at the Saxons - 56-17 winners over the USA Eagles earlier in the day.

Fergus McFadden led the Irish scoring with two tries and a conversion, while there were also scores from John Murphy, giant prop Tony Buckley, debutant full back Felix Jones and Chris Henry, with Niall O'Connor kicking two penalties and a conversion.

Ireland man of the match Niall Ronan said: "We were happy with the first half but we need to step up next week. England have a lot of experienced players and we have to improve. We lost the ball at the breakdown too much and we didn't finish off a few chances. We need to be focused next Sunday."

Georgia coach Tim Lane had to settle for limiting Ireland A to 12 second half points after they trailed 28-5 at halftime.

Zviad Maisuradze scored their only try and Lane said: "The guys showed a lot more spirit today and we had a better defensive shape but we did give away four or five soft tries. It was an improvement but we need to wok on the basic things."

The ongoing French Top 14 Championship have denied Lane many of his front line players and he admitted: "I would have loved to bring a full team here but as a team we have come on over the past 12 months and there are some good young players to work with here."

Saxons too strong for USA

Earlier, the Saxons were ruthless in topping Pool A and putting seven tries past the USA Eagles from Nick Kennedy, Rob Weber, Mick Young, Tom Guest, Brad Barritt, Tom Varndell and electric wing Noah Cato.

Man of the match, fly-half Stephen Myler, who kicked 21 points, said: "We ran in a few tries which was pleasing, especially after last week against Argentina Jaguars (won 28-20). We tried to put that behind us and in training we identified a few things that we need to resolve and I think that showed in our performance this week.

"Kicking the points is part of my job description and I'm really looking forward to next week's final."

Mike Petri gave the US an early lead and replacement hooker Chris Biller also crossed for Mike Hercus to convert and also add a penalty but it was scant consolation for Head Coach Eddie O'Sullivan.

He said: "When you're facing this caliber of team, you can't give them anything, and you have to take advantage of every opportunity you have. Unfortunately, we did nearly the opposite and they made us pay the price.

"I am happy to see these guys were still giving it their all until the end and I think that our try late in the game was proof of that. I would say that this game was still another step up for the Eagles. England was another step up in competition and the better teams will make you pay bigger for your mistakes."

Churchill Cup finals day

June 21

Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City

Plate (3rd/4th place) final: Canada v Argentina Jaguars (12.05pm)

Cup (Championship) final: England Saxons v Ireland A (2.30pm)

Bowl (5th/6th place) final: USA v Georgia (4.45pm)