Thread: Tim Fairbrother

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tim Fairbrother

Fairbrother seeks Wallaby berth

June 16, 2009 - 1:17PM

Imported Western Force recruit Tim Fairbrother has set his sights on earning a Wallabies call-up, but the New Zealand-born prop says he must first earn respect at his new Super 14 team.

Fairbrother, who played seven Super rugby seasons for the Wellington-based Hurricanes before being lured to the Force on a two-year deal, represented New Zealand at Under-19s and Under-21s level.

But his failure to break into the powerful All Blacks side, plus the fact he has Australian-born grandparents, means the 27-year-old, 119kg tighthead is eligible for Wallabies selection.

Fairbrother said the possibility of playing international rugby for Australia was a major factor in choosing to link up with the Force instead of taking up a lucrative deal in Europe.

"Yeah it is part of the plan but at the moment it's far from my line of thought," Fairbrother said.

"I just want to come over and play as good as I can, and if that (a Wallabies call-up) happens it happens.

"It would be a good thing if it happened.

"But I want to play well for the Force and earn my respect around here before I start throwing that around."

The recruitment of Fairbrother and Wallabies prop Matt Dunning bodes well for the Force's front row options, with Wallaby newcomer Pek Cowan, who will make his Test debut in Saturday's clash with Italy, a proven performer at loosehead.

"I think it's good, it creates a bit of competition between the three props we have here," Fairbrother said.

"That's healthy and in terms of Super 14 you can't get through with just two frontline props."

Fairbrother described 43-Test veteran Dunning as "another good, grizzly prop".

"I've played against him and he's quite good," Fairbrother said.

"Both of us are pretty experienced at this level and he's had Test match experience so it's a good thing for the club.

"Pek's playing well so it's only going to make us stronger."

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Welcome Tim!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    welcome
    you will dont worry......the force boys have a tendency of doing so

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White