Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barnes holds out for Reds' review

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Barnes holds out for Reds' review

Bret Harris | June 16, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WALLABIES inside centre Berrick Barnes will wait for the Queensland Reds to complete their end of season review before recommitting to the under-performing Super 14 team.

The review will involve a brain-storming session at Ballymore tomorrow night, involving almost every living ex-Reds coach, including John Connolly, Mark McBain, Andrew Slack and Jeff Miller.

Barnes has indicated his preference is to stay at the Reds, but he wants to see what changes the review recommends before he re-signs.

The Reds have finished in the bottom three every year since Barnes made his Super rugby debut against the Waratahs in 2006, which must be a source of frustration for such a great competitor.

"My manager Pete Rogers is just working things out at the moment," Barnes said. "I don't think we should be too far away.

"I'm looking to stay with Queensland ... We are just sorting things out.

"The review process and everything that's happening ... once they clear that up, hopefully I'll get a better picture of where things are going and make a decision."
    If Barnes was unhappy with the outcome of the Reds' review, he could always consider an offer from the Western Force.

"There has been a bit of talk, but I'm reasonably happy where I am at the moment," Barnes said.

Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis said Barnes had been heavily involved in the review process.

"Berrick is in the leadership group. He is a smart young man. He is keen to see that if we make any changes, they are the right changes," Lewis said.

"He has been very much part of the process."

Lewis said the Reds wanted to tap into the rugby intelligence of the team's past coaches at the meeting at Ballymore tomorrow night. "They have a lot of intellectual firepower to contribute, but there is no infrastructure to get them involved," Lewis said.

"It's crazy if we don't put some structures around them so their ideas can be funnelled to Queensland more formally."

While the Reds have failed to deliver, Barnes has enjoyed more success playing for the Wallabies. The kicking game of Barnes and five-eighth Matt Giteau was a feature of the Wallabies' 31-8 win against Italy in Canberra last Saturday night.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans began to develop a strategy based on playing for field position last year, but the players are executing the game plan much better this season.

"One of the things that has been pretty pleasing the last two weeks has been our kicking game," Barnes said.

"We've put ourselves in good positions of the field and we've limited the amount of time they've had down our end through our kicking game.

"That's been very pleasing. It just goes to show the practice we are doing. From nine to 15 everyone has been able to contribute in some way, shape or form in that aspect of the game.

"It's simple football, really. If you keep grinding sides out, you keep putting them back in their own half -- in the corners -- you build pressure.

"I definitely don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. If you can do that to the other side, it is definitely going to turn the screws."

Barnes said the cold, slippery conditions in Canberra also contributed to the Wallabies kicking the ball 37 times in general play.

"We are using the ball when we can," Barnes said. "In those conditions if you tried to run the ball from your own half, you were always going to make an error after two or three phases.

"That's why it wasn't such a flowing game. It was a cake of soap out there for a lot of it.

"We did use some ball. Our first phase set piece was pretty good."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He's just waiting to see where Rabbit goes...

vCash
    Barnes and JO'C would be a great combo....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If the Force picked up Barnes I wouldn't mind Rabbit going. If the Force picked up Barnes and Rabbit stayed I think we would be better off than we were this year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Barnes and O'Connor would make a sensational 10-12 combo. But I wouldn't like to se the Reds suffer yet another blow. Barnes is one of the only things holding them together :-/

vCash
    Interesting..Sheehan, Pretorius, Cummins, Barnes, Cross, Shepherd, J'OC..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In future News:

The opportunity to play inside James O'Connor was what finally swung me to sign with the Force.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The review will involve a brain-storming session at Ballymore tomorrow night, involving almost every living ex-Reds coach, including John Connolly, Mark McBain, Andrew Slack and Jeff Miller.
    Aww No Eddie Jones.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Aww No Eddie Jones.
    They said it was a brain stroming session not a cranial flatulence session, FT.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Barnes and JO'C would be a great combo....

...for the Reds....yes it would

Berrick isn't moving - put your tent on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    ...for the Reds....yes it would

Berrick isn't moving - put your tent on it.
    Barnes is a born & raised QLDer... He still thinks his coach has his passport and visa when interstate... He'll stay...

They really need to change the old board and create a new face of QLD rugby to start to encourage their talent to stay....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Of course we don't think Barnes will leave and for the good of Australian rugby at least half of me wouldn't want him to. But the other half recognises Barnes is a pretty superb rugby player and would be great to have in our team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's funny, I thought JO'C was a born and raised Queenslander too...

For what it's worth, as much as I would like him to head West, I don't think Barnes is going anywhere either. As for their other rising stars...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Barnes is a born & raised QLDer... He still thinks his coach has his passport and visa when interstate... He'll stay...

They really need to change the old board and create a new face of QLD rugby to start to encourage their talent to stay....

As a general rule, the last two years under Phil Mooney have seen most young Qld talent retained. That's one of Phil's strengths - he is very respected by the young blokes. Of course he now needs to get the win/loss ratio much improved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast