Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PALY FACE ACID TEST AGAINST WEAKENED PERTH-BAYSWATER

vCash

PALY FACE ACID TEST AGAINST WEAKENED PERTH-BAYSWATER

The season isn’t yet half over but there’s a lot on the line when second-placed Palmyra take on fifth-placed Perth-Bayswater at Pat O’Hara Reserve on Saturday in the Rugby WA club competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Following a healthy recruiting program in the off season, Palmyra has enjoyed a meteoric rise from the wooden spoon in 2008 to be firmly on track for a place in the finals in 2009. But early wins over Kalamunda and Nedlands haven’t been quite the achievements they once were, and the Melville club won’t really know where it stands until it has faced heavyweights Perth-Bayswater, and Wanneroo the week after.

Palmyra lost in the dying minutes of their game against the season’s other surprise package, Cottesloe, three weeks ago but bounced back to impressively defeat the competition front-runner, Associates. With both Perth-Bayswater and Wanneroo vulnerable through a run of injuries, the timing could not be better for Palmyra to set up a winning path to the finals in September.

For Perth-Bayswater, the final weeks of the draw were supposed to be a cruise home. They had all their tough games set up in the early weeks, facing Nedlands, Kalamunda and Wanneroo in the first four weeks. But Nedlands' and Kalamunda’s fall from grace makes the Morley club's loss and a draw from the set something of a disappointment, and now the mid-season wobbles have set in and the men in black have slipped to fifth on the table after their surprise defeat by an under-rated University team last week. This leaves Perth-Bayswater facing the competition’s top two teams to wind up the draw, and they will be desperate to stay in touch with the top four while carrying a worrying sick list.

Despite the setbacks, Perth-Bayswater first grade coach Lex Wilson is confident of the team’s ability to adapt.

Wing Nathan Hunt and hooker Ash Murphy return to the team, and lock Jock Stanley is back from suspension but backline general Sam Moon has a neck injury.

“The guys we’ve brought in will step up,” Wilson said.

“We’re going in as underdogs and we realise that, but it’s our home track and we’ve got a point to prove.”

Wilson was disappointed with the team’s performance against University but hoped to get the season back on track with a return to form against Palmyra.

“It’s been a week of home truths,” Wilson said.

“We just want to execute our plays and play the style we know we can. We want to play what we train and not stray from the pattern.

“We’ve fallen away in the last couple of weeks and we want to put that back in place.”

Wilson gave credit to Palmyra for their achievements but maintained his focus was on his own team.

“Paly are playing a good brand of rugby, they’re adventurous, they’re a proud club and they’re up there again, which is good for Western Australian rugby,” he said.

“But we’ve gone away from looking at the opposition at the moment; we just want to reinforce what we’re doing.

“We want to be proactive, and we haven’t done that recently. We just need to pick our whole game up across the paddock.

“We’ve taken games for granted and it’s cost us points.”

The second big game of the weekend pits 2008 grand finalist Wanneroo against competition leaders Associates at Kingsway with similar importance riding on the outcome. Third-placed Wanneroo will be desperate to recover from their shock 51-5 hiding by dark horses Cottesloe last week, while Associates need to improve after a lucky escape against Kalamunda at Hartfield.

In other games, Kalamunda must forget the heartbreak and build on a positive performance against Soaks last week when they face a developing Wests-Subiaco at Rosalie Park, while a shell-shocked Nedlands face another potential nightmare when they meet a steadily improving University team at McGillivray Oval. Finally, Cottesloe will be set on continuing a three-game winning streak that has seen them storm into the top four when they host Rockingham at Harvey Field

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55861.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    WTF? Have Perth sacked the wunder coach? Who the hell is this Wilson dude who pops up out of nowhere and pontificates about what other clubs are doing or not doing?

If any other club swapped coaches mid season it would be the rugby story of the year. Suddenly its Perth coach Wilson without missing a beat? Pull the other one.

But I do love it when the contradictory messages appear in the same article. Palmyra faces an "acid" test againt a team that are "weakened" because apparently they can't keep their coach?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Perth and its players and supporters. But I do object to the odour of flatulence being presented as eau de cologne.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 12-06-09 at 01:16.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Save it for the game

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    WTF? Have Perth sacked the wunder coach? Who the hell is this Wilson dude who pops up out of nowhere and pontificates about what other clubs are doing or not doing?

If any other club swapped coaches mid season it would be the rugby story of the year. Suddenly its Perth coach Wilson without missing a beat? Pull the other one.

But I do love it when the contradictory messages appear in the same article. Palmyra faces an "acid" test against a team that are "weakened" because apparently they can't keep their coach?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Perth and its players and supporters. But I do object to the odour of flatulence being presented as eau de cologne.
    Just show you guys how little you know down there in Pally land. Lex Wilson has been prems coach since the beginning of the year JT Tailor(Last year's coach is ) Is still head coach but oversee the whole clubs coaching and assist other coaches at all levels. Lex Wilson has been around Perth Bayswater for ever being under 20 coach in 2008 he has also been assistant coach for the prems in previous years.
    If you really interested you will able to research it all if you follow the link and look at the past years coaches

Perth Bayswater management

vCash
    To be fair, Pieter, almost all of the press has been quoting JT in the past couple of seasons, so those not as intimately associated with P/Bays would have drawn the conclusion that JT is the Prems coach, and has been for ages.

vCash
    Even you own website - see the write up for the game on 26/04/2009.

vCash

But I do love it when the contradictory messages appear in the same article. Palmyra faces an "acid" test againt a team that are "weakened" because apparently they can't keep their coach?

Let me give you a little inside information, Frank. While JT is still head coach, Lex is being groomed to take over the reins. JT has had enough of me asking him annoying questions so he thought it was time Lex got to be irritated by know-nothing journos as well.

And as Lex said, Perth are underdogs for this game, but I don't imagine Dave Ball is taking his team into the game with any sort of complacency. Do you?

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    To be fair, Pieter, almost all of the press has been quoting JT in the past couple of seasons, so those not as intimately associated with P/Bays would have drawn the conclusion that JT is the Prems coach, and has been for ages.

You're right. I just didn't think it merited any special comment. Who the hell would care outside of Perth-Bayswater?

vCash
    Did somebody get thrown a deliberate v-hospital pass before the much anticipated clash?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Prospect
    vCash
    write the reports yourself then frank....
    no wonder nobody likes your club...the team is playing some of the best rugby in the comp and all we hear from the club is whinge whinge whinge....

good job rick....everybody else appreciates your effort!!

vCash
    Even you own website - see the write up for the game on 26/04/2009.

Sounds like Bayswater have a secret weapon and Palmyra did not know about it

Do I spot a bit of neviousness there Fulvio??

vCash
    We're doomed, doomed I tells ya!

vCash
    We're doomed, doomed I tells ya!
    remember this Fulvio Well you might recognise some of those guys in the picture and some of them you will see again on Saturday

May the best team WIN

vCash
    Handsome blighters they are too ...

vCash
    I'm always amazed that rugby players think tape will hold their knees together
    Body height is a massive problem for the defender
    He's about to end up on his @rse
    Closing your eyes isn't cool either. I see rugby WA's elite coaching has bypassed Perth grade rugby as well as the country

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was always told that tape was just a target for dirty opponents.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast