Thread: Round 9 Local Competition - Armageddon Revisited

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Round 9 Local Competition - Armageddon Revisited

Palmyra v Wanneroo.
    The clinical way Wanneroo took Associates apart last Saturday must be a matter of considerable concern to Palmyra coach Dave Ball. It appears Wanneroo have regrouped and their injured players are back on deck. In addition, the word is they have recruited another quality player.
    While reports of Perth's demolition of Palmyra's forward pack are more a figment of the fevered imagination of Perth's legion of supporters than based on reality, the truth is Palmyra's pack will have its first real test of the season next weekend. For only the second time this year also, Pally will come across a set of backs equal to or better than their own.
    Frankly I think the forward packs will nullify each other in the scrums, with the Dogs perhaps marginally having the advantage in the lineouts and Pally marginally in the back row.
    At the end of the day the outcome may just depend on the individual brilliance of a back or two in each side. I give it to Wanneroo by 12 points based on the outstanding running skills of KK and the fitness of his support runners.

Wests/Subiaco v Nedlands
    Nedlands are obviously a monty to win, and win handsomely. It might be a game to see though, if Neddies latest recruit, ex Hurricanes/new Force tighthead prop Fairbrother gets a run. Anyway, there is no way a club can be competitive the week following having 83 points scored against them. I should know, as anyone who has followed Pally over the last ten years does. Nedlands by 45 points. Just an after thought, who has snaffled Dunning?

Associates v Perth
    I think I'll let others wax lyrical on this. Perth have their best chance of the season so far to take a top four scalp. They will be desperate for a win after having been unceremoniously dumped into the mix for the battle for fourth place. Their top coach will surely be at the helm again, and that will make a difference. The return of midfield General Moon will also add some stiffness to their backs. Soaks loss to Wanneroo by such a margin (20 points) indicates that they have some mid season issues of their own, as all clubs do from time to time. The question is will they have fixed them in time for next Saturday? I think not. The shock to a club that still thinks it is top of the ladder three days after their huge loss (see their website) would indicate they will not. Perth by 15 points.

Rockingham v University
    Geez, I would love Rocky to win this. Both Uni and Rockingham have improved their games over their last few fixtures and their strength can be measured by their respectve results against Nedlands in consecutive weeks, Rocky won by a whisker and Uni lost by the same whisker. Both have good forward packs but nothing exceptional in the backs, other than Fournails for Rockingham and O'toole for University. I'm going for Rocky by five points on sentiment alone.

Kalamunda v Cottesloe
    Kala couldn't be coming up against Cott at a worse time. Kala will have its tail up after its flogging of the Wests schoolboys but it won't be prepared or organised enough to face the Cottesloe onslaught. Cott are currently the strongest, most balanced team in the Competition, and it will take more than a wobbly, inconsistent Kalamunda to change that. Cottesloe by 27 points.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dunning is staying in Sydney until next season Fulv.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Ah. Ok. I'll drop him a line and invite him, not forgetting to draw his attention to this website, and telling him none of the contibutors (apart from myself) are Pally supporters.

vCash
    From memory Dunning will barely be moving here next year anyway-read somewhere his family is not coming with him so I can't imagine he'd bother pretending to have a WA club, will skip back to Sydney as soon as possible.

Didn't know Fairbrother had adopted Neddies- hope he plays at Tompkins in a few weeks.

vCash
    Is Sammy Moon back for us this week?!? I'm pretty sure he is working away and won't be available for a while?? I think Pally will give it to Wanneroo, from what I saw on the weekend, and will see once again tonight, Pally are playing a good style of rugby and are deceptively fit!! The loosehead prop was probably the fittest in the comp, he was everywhere!! In my eyes Pally is the best team we have played this year, followed closely by Wanneroo... I don't know where Cott have found their form, but when we played them they were very average (something we have now become!) but they are in the mix which is what is important at this stage of the comp...

vCash
    Any truth in the rumour AJ Whalley is going to have a final run for Cott this weekend, just to soak up some final abuse??

vCash
    I thought AJ was playing for Warringah?!? At least he has been the last couple of weeks...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    From memory Dunning will barely be moving here next year anyway-
    Wonder what his obligations will be pre-season...?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So much material, so little time!

He may be in for a bit of a fitness boot camp though going on the fitness level Mitch demands of all his players.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    So much material, so little time!

He may be in for a bit of a fitness boot camp though going on the fitness level Mitch demands of all his players.
    Reckon we could sell tickets to Donut vs Haydn???

Would be a cracker!