Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pretorius, Dunning set to sign with Force

vCash

Pretorius, Dunning set to sign with Force

The Western Force have sent former Springbok fly-half Andre Pretorius a contract for signature.

Negotiations to acquire an experienced replacement pivot for Matt Giteau progressed sufficiently well during the past week for the Force to submit a formal offer to Pretorius in Johannesburg.

“That’s coming along nicely,” said Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy last night. “I’m expecting an answer from him by Saturday.”

If the Force sign Pretorius to resolve their playmaking impasse, they believe it will lead to a decision by teenage phenomenon James O’Connor within a week.

The Australian Rugby Union are on the verge of making an offer to the Wallaby full-back.

Pretorius is understood to want out of the Lions because he is unhappy about the summary dismissal a fortnight ago of coach Loffie Eloff.

Team leaders Cobus Grobbelaar and Pretorius were so dissatisfied with the turbulence at the top of their union they threatened to lead a player strike ahead of the match against the touring British and Irish Lions side but Eloff persuaded them otherwise.

NSW prop Matt Dunning has also been sent a contract for signing.

“We heard nothing from him today but we’re still confident,” said Hardy, who confirmed the Force had completed formalities to bring to Perth junior international flanker Ben McCalman of Sydney University.

DAVE HUGHES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=147606

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 12-06-09 at 18:54.

vCash
    Two internationals (former?) who should provide experience to our younger guys. I hope that the first message they can pass on is: Don't take your foot of the gas with 35 minutes left in the game!

vCash
    Let's hope Dunning will leave the drop goals to Pretorius .........

[YOUTUBE]qAvMKkC1kjA[/YOUTUBE]

vCash
    if you got it

vCash
    I don't mind Pretorius - quality and experience.

vCash
    O'Connors manager is hoping to push up his price after the weekend Wallabies start at 15...

I really can't see why Pretorius would make it easier for J'OC to sign with the Force... I think he and his crew are just pumping the Force for every cent they can get...

Pretorius will be lucky to take the field more than 50% of the time... He's a 31 year old walking sack of injuries....

But perhaps JO'C can just take over and become the Forces full time playmaker... As he likely wont have a choice in the matter...

Lets hope he does well at 15 Saturday night.....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I can't say I have ever been a huge fan of either of them. Having said that both have at one point or another been the first choice in their position for their national team and those are two of the best national teams in World rugby.

You've got to keep an open mind about this kind of stuff. I mean this year alone we had both Ben Castle and Josh Valentine come to the Force as experienced players who some people thought were no good or bad recruitments or what have you but both players contributed a lot to the Force's season. I think Dunning and Pretorius could both contribute a lot to the Force.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    O'Connors manager is hoping to push up his price after the weekend Wallabies start at 15... .
    Based on?

I really can't see why Pretorius would make it easier for J'OC to sign with the Force... I think he and his crew are just pumping the Force for every cent they can get...
    Experienced 10 with 30 test caps?

Pretorius will be lucky to take the field more than 50% of the time... He's a 31 year old walking sack of injuries....
    Like the Wallaby skipper, you mean? Just 2 years younger.

But perhaps JO'C can just take over and become the Forces full time playmaker... As he likely wont have a choice in the matter...
    Pretorius played every S14 match for the Lions this season.

Lets hope he does well at 15 Saturday night....
    Bank on it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Pretorius could probably tell some of our delicate petals what a tough coaching set-up actually looks like, and what doing it hard really is!

vCash
    O'Connors’ circle are pushing the ARU for cash... and we know they have the Force administration on their knees next to a pile of cash...

Last time Pretorius played for the Boks was in 2006 and he got injured...

Yesterdays man with yesterdays game... agreed Pretorius played every S14 match for the Lions this season and the Lions lost 9 matches finishing as one of the cellar dwellers 12th...

But hey if you guys are happy with Andre sign him up... As he hasn’t seen the Western Forces training facilities yet…

Bank on it>>>> nice line>>>>.....James O’Connor just might bank on it…. Conversely James O'Connor may have such a good game and enjoy playing at fullback so much, he may sign with the Brumbies as a 15, once he settles his deal with the ARU... Robbie Deans definitely sees his immediate future as a fullback...

Its looking like the Brumbies have their on a young speedster in the AUS 20s side.... It also appears that they have kept Frankie, Alfi Mafi, Gene Fairbanks and Pete Betham....

Next week seems to be shaping up as JO'Cs week to choose.... I was hoping today as I vBet for a squillion....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yet he was good enough to play 81 minutes and lead the Lions to giving the Brumbies a touch-up...

vCash
    Brumbies sucked footy socks that week.... it cost them a semis spot... They failed to respect the opposition... big mistake....

Are you talking yourself into supporting a yarpie has been next year?

What a sad state of affairs for Australian rugby... when the Force in their 5 year haven't developed a player to step up as S14 Flyhalf...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    What a sad state of affairs for Australian rugby... when the Force in their 5 year haven't developed a player to step up as S14 Flyhalf...
    If only we had a competition to develop these players, like the ARC.

OR

It could be suggested that the Brumbies have locked away 3 possible 10's as bench warmers and water runners for the next season or two and have no interest in letting another Australian Province have them.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "sucked footy socks" - nice, haven't heard that before.

I support the team, it is on the players to impress me (and I'm sure the burden weighs heavy ). If he were to play well, then good luck to him.

Agree on the development of a flyhalf, but then we have played a big part in developing one of the best. They can't all get game time, and Aus rugby has probably benefitted most by Giteau getting what we had available. The bigger shame might be seen as the Brumbies failing to do so, despite greater opportunity available for a new young player. Even more so when they won't release the players they've brought part of the way to get development and game time elsewhere now they've instead brought in the guy we supposedly weren't developing...

vCash
    Agree we need an ARC like comp back... back hey the Brumbies have developed all these guys into S14 players... Both can request a release if they like… But the real question is what has the force been doing? Because it looks like bugger all from here Ex... It sounds like your blaming the Brumbies for the Forces and John Mitchell lack of planning...

A Hypothetical here: What if Pretorius signs but JO'C still chooses the Brumbies next week? And you have to support a yarpie next year… will you all blame the Brumbies for the lack of personnel management by Coach Mitchell? That's hardly levelheaded…

And if so will Pretorius without JO'C pull the WA crowds back to the games?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast