Thread: Giteau to hand O'Connor some pivotal secrets

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau to hand O'Connor some pivotal secrets

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | June 12, 2009

MATT GITEAU will take James O'Connor aside before his starting Test debut tomorrow night and advise him not to get over-excited nor overplay his hand against Italy.

The Wallabies five-eighth will tell the teenager to rely on his natural instincts instead.

However, Giteau, who has spent two seasons with O'Connor in the Western Force back line, said he had no concerns about the moment being too much for the 18-year-old. Giteau has already seen enough to believe O'Connor will make an impact at fullback.
    "There are huge expectations on James because he's had a pretty strong Super 14 season," Giteau said yesterday. "But as long as he plays the way he has through the Super 14, and not overplay his hand, he will be right because he is quite a good attacking player.

"Also, with the game plan we have, and the way we will be looking to use him, it will be pretty hard for him to overplay his hand. He doesn't generally show too many nerves, so he'll be fine on the weekend."

O'Connor, who has on several occasions played beside Giteau in the Force back line at inside-centre, is accustomed to asking the senior playmaker for advice.

"There were certainly times, especially when he was playing at inside-centre, that if I wanted him to run a certain line, or more talk from him, I would tell him," Giteau said.
    "I do explain certain things to him but he's quite smart and his general instincts are pretty much spot-on. So you don't want to bombard him with too much information. He's also very confident. I hope I wasn't that confident when I started. But he certainly has all the skills."

Of greater concern for Giteau is the need for the Wallabies to be patient and ruthless. Despite their 48-point defeat of the Barbarians last weekend, Giteau believes the Wallabies fell into their usual trap of wasting opportunities and going easy on their opponents.

"There were times when we were creating a lot, and because we could see a lot of holes, we were probably throwing too many 50-50 balls," Giteau said. "We didn't play at times as if it was a Test match. We didn't build the pressure, and didn't keep the pressure on. Coming into this Test, that is something we have worked on - building that momentum and not giving away possession. Once we get inside the opposition 22, we have to come away with points. So we have to be more ruthless as a side, and put oppositions away."

The Test will also mark Giteau's return to Canberra following three contentious years with the Force. His return to the Brumbies will see him join other 2010 big signings Rocky Elsom and Josh Valentine. "Rocky was a big signing, and I was a bit surprised when I heard he had joined the Brumbies," Giteau said.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...664795754.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Secret 1: Pisssst Rabbit pull you socks up.... its cold here....and don't drop the ball....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    dont suppose you are making the effort to go down the road for the match Muddie?

vCash
    don't hold your breath.....

vCash
    Well.... i was meant to go last weekend to see family but couldn't due to my mother-law in Canberra went into hospital... So it was postponed... So its hasn't been planned and I won't be there...

However I may get to see the Wallabies vs. France... in Sydney...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Mother in law? Married?

Thats practically a disguise.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Mother in law in hospital? Should have bought a lotto ticket as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Secret 2 from Pretorius..... Pissssst Kick the ball and they'll never know you can't break the line...

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Mother in law in hospital? Should have bought a lotto ticket as well
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yep I know.... but picked up at the TAB....