Thread: Brock James cracks the tonne

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brock James cracks the tonne

When Brock James left the Western Force to head to France to play for Clermont in the Top 14, it caused barely a ripple in Australian rugby circles. In the pre-Gits era of the Force, James, Scott Daruda and James Hilgendorf, had all been used as fly-halves without much success.

Leaving Australia as a failed Super 14 player at the age of 24, it was not expected that anymore would be heard of the former Sydney Uni/GPS (Brisbane) fly-half - but how times have changed.

With a penalty goal in Clermont’s loss to Perpignon in the final of this year’s Top 14, Brock James racked up 1000 points in the Clermont jersey, not bad when you consider it only took him three seasons to complete.

In fact, so prolific has James’ scoring been in France, he has lead the Top 14 points scorers every season since he joined in 2006, not bad for a bloke who was ass-holed from Australia.

His name can be added to the ever increasing list of ex-pats who have had to go overseas to gain employment as professional rugby players and have flourished under different conditions and styles of play.

Given the Super 15 expansion is under way, and more than likely the new team to be based in Melbourne, what a perfect fit for Victorian born Brock James to come home and be a foundation member of the new franchise.

Although the ARU has mooted a raid on the mungo ranks to fill some of the 30-odd spots for the new team, and a dearth of local rugby talent running around, let’s hope the ARU throw their cash his way instead of some ageing-mungo.

Gagger / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't say that there was no success with Hilgendorf or Daruda at 10. Hilgy was going great guns until Rua Tipoki cracked his eye socket and Daruda only played in four or five games before he got injured.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    maybe he could have another crack with the force.... obviously he has come on leaps and bounds since he has been in france???

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He probably is a fair bit better. Plus he wouldn't have to put up with Henjaks average service and he would get better ball from out set-piece and better ball from the breakdown. But the reality is that his style of play is more suited to Europe and between Giteau and Barnes he probably wouldn't get a look in at 10 with the Wallabies. So why take the massive pay cut?

Champion
    vCash
    Sorry , He has signed with ASM till 2012!

vCash
    He's far better than Barnes, Cooper or Beale.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jauzy19 View Post
    He's far better than Barnes, Cooper or Beale.
    Beale and Cooper I'd agree with but I think Barnes has a much more complete game than Brocky.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought I read somewhere too that he was planning to take citizenship and become eligible for France...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I thought I read somewhere too that he was planning to take citizenship and become eligible for France...?
    Is that a local rule? He'd qualify on residence by RWC 2011 under IRB rules wouldn't he? If he's a shot at the French squad he'd be insane to take a pay cut to come back here.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David