Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Subi Stadium Dramas + Beer etc

vCash
    Looks like those "wankers at the AFL" are up to it again. Can't believe how much public money they think is justified to pour into an aging stadium.

$250m plan for Subiaco Oval
    The WA Football Commission has drawn up an ambitious $250 million master plan to develop Subiaco Oval into a world-class 60,000-seat venue in a bid to head off any rival stadium proposals being entertained by a State Government task force.

While details of the master plan are being kept confidential, The West Australian understands the WAFC wants to redevelop Subiaco Oval in four stages over the next four years, when the ultimate 60,000 capacity would be achieved.

Full article:
    http://thewest.com.au/20060331/news/...sto133819.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    There has been a big change in the WACA.

Firstly the Redevelopment brought grass banks, rectangular square wickets (it is now rectangular goal area if you situated a rugby field on the pitch) Demolished the Farley Stand, a new Players Pavillion was built and another stand next to the Lillee Marsh as well as the replacements of seats around the concourse and the Members moved over to the Lillee Marsh Stand.

It is much different to when i watched a League game when I was 11 in that temporary stand that went back a country mile.

The venues seats a massive and more leg room and the capacity is down to about 20,000 people.

Apprentice
    vCash
    A great deal of this debate seems to be based on a large WF membership. I reckon that the 22,000 who bought season tickets this year will be 12,000 0r so next year. This will be due to lack of success of the team, and the terrible venue. While the keen rugby nuts will be loyal, there is a large number of the curious and AFL fans who are trying out rugby. They will not be back with memberships, perhaps with 2 or 3 Super 14 matches in the season.

A 25,000 stadium would be adequate and a good intimate size. The blockbuster test matches will always need to be played at Subi I suppose.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'll accept but not agree with your point Vasco however, you build stadiums for the future not the next couple of seasons. Once the Force gets bedded in for a couple of seasons and the rugby population continues to grow we will certainly see a rapid rise in participation rates.
    There would be little point limiting yourself to a 25k stadium if it is outgrown within say five years.
    IMHO, Rugby WA would be better off seating all the crowd along the sidelines of a larger stadium until participation rises rather than have a full house with no room for bigger crowds.
    There is a big enough population of rugby supporters in this state and immigrating each year that our crowds on average are certain to expand over the next ten years.
    I certainly have not heard anyone who sits near me state that they are no going to renew their Memberships and for our category we are in pretty crumby seats.
    From a selfish point of view I hope the numbers do drop so I get better seats for when we get successful.
    I'm in it for the long haul, even if we play at Rugby Park!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3