Thread: Japan Bledisloe fixture

Apprentice
    vCash

Japan Bledisloe fixture

Howdy guys!

I'm not sure if I'm just daft, but can't seem to find confirmation anywhere that the fourth Bledisloe fixture has been confirmed for October 31 in Tokyo despite reports in late April that they were being "rubber stamped" that week. Does anyone have any details? Am toying around with the thought of going or possibly combining with a trip to the States and stopping in Tokyo on the way back...

cheers
    Max

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Still "TBC" last I checked.

vCash
    This is the most recent info, nothing new since then..

Japan Bledisloe on October 31, says O'Neill
    NZPA - April 20, 2009, 5:37 pm

The All Blacks and Wallabies will play one another in Tokyo for the first time on October 31, pending rubber stamping this week, Australian Rugby Union (ARU) chief executive John O'Neill confirmed today.

O'Neill said the deal to play a fourth Bledisloe Cup test in Japan was "done and dusted" and the Australian and New Zealand unions were both content with the financial arrangements.

He said it would be a "similar outcome" financially to last year's test in Hong Kong, from which the New Zealand Rugby Union reportedly banked about $4 million.

"We're very happy with the negotiations, and the Japanese Rugby Union (JRU) is about to issue the invitation," O'Neill said.

"It'll be a great occasion and I think the JRU see this as another message that they're a serious player in world rugby."

O'Neill said the test would be played at Tokyo's Olympic Stadium, which has an official capacity of 57,000.

The test will begin the All Blacks' five-week end-of-year tour. Matches already confirmed are against Italy in Milan on November 14, England at Twickenham on November 21, France in Marseille on November 28 and the Barbarians at Twickenham on December 5.

Negotiations are continuing with the Welsh Rugby Union for a test in Cardiff on November 7.

O'Neill also confirmed the Wallabies were on the verge of confirming their own Grand Slam tour this year, for the first time since their successful 1984 trip.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans relished the extra challenge in a packed international programme of up to 15 tests this year.

"It's a great calendar, it's absolutely chocker in terms of opponents and there's few that we won't get to play -- essentially Argentina and the islands," Deans said.

"It's going to be fantastic, as a rugby player you couldn't ask for any more.

"The atmosphere (in Japan) I haven't experienced, but it'll be great out there on the ground and, as I said last year about Hong Kong, we don't really care where. It's a prospect we'll really look forward to."

The All Blacks won last year's Hong Kong test 19-14 to win the series 3-1, having already sealed the Bledisloe Cup in Brisbane.

While Deans felt the Wallabies were not playing too much rugby, O'Neill admitted the Australian and New Zealand unions were cramming their schedules largely due to financial reasons.

The Japan test, and Twickenham matches against England and the Barbarians, were hugely lucrative.

"In these tough economic times, as we did last year, we're playing extra games and the All Blacks are playing extra games.

"It's a bit of a dilemma. Both us and New Zealand are having to play extra games and being rewarded for them to make ends meet.

"Is that enduring? I don't think so. I don't think playing 15 test matches a year is right. It's too many.

"When you look at our circumstances and the strains that the business is under this year because of the recession, you have no choice. I wouldn't like to think we continue to play that many tests going forward."

O'Neill said the inbound winter tests in Australia and New Zealand would ideally be reduced from three to two, and the end-of-year tours would be reduced to "more income-producing games".

That would also depend on the revamped Super rugby competition which is still under negotiation.

The current International Rugby Board (IRB) international match schedule expires at the end of 2011, with a new schedule for 2012-2023 soon to be agreed on.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...31-says-oneill

Most recent updates will probably be here: http://rugby.com.au/fixtures_results...cup,21862.html

vCash
    One thing we do know it aint being played here in the West, God cannot even get Italy here just the same old boring S.A fixture

vCash
    next year we have a fixture against England, although I share your feelings about the SA fixture, France would have been slightly more exciting
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    If they sent their first team.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    next year we have a fixture against England, although I share your feelings about the SA fixture, France would have been slightly more exciting
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I actually thought last year's SA game was pretty game. Awesome atmosphere at Subi. Though it'd be interesting to have another side play over here. Next year's England test will be magic!

Thanks everyone for feedback re: Bledisloe game, will just wait to see what the go is before making any travel plans!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    We did play Fiji at Subi a couple of years ago...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    the fixture against the poms will be one to look forward to, i tend to agree about S.A.... every year is a bit much...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd sooner SA than either Fiji or Italy! At least it will be competitive - the Fiji match was attended like recent Force matches, with the whole crowd moving to the opposite end of the ground at half time.

vCash
    Its just to see a different type of Rugby played, not the same old thing and that BOK BOK BOK ringing in your ears all night. We see them all season in Super 14s at least let us see something diff just a thought what about the ALL Blacks ? No way even Japan gets them before us

Champion
    vCash
    Last years SA game was great. we had Dave Pocock sat with some mate a few rows in front of us and after the game I told him he would be playing in the same game next year (2009). He had better be!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've got no problem watching other styles of rugby, but if it is going to be Pacific or Asian teams it should be Aus A rather than the Wallabies. Better still, put them up against the Force if we can't have an ARC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I'd sooner SA than either Fiji or Italy! At least it will be competitive - the Fiji match was attended like recent Force matches, with the whole crowd moving to the opposite end of the ground at half time.
    Bring back Ireland!

Go The Force!

vCash
    Yes Irelands good see different style