Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi golfer turns Wallaby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kiwi golfer turns Wallaby

Ten years ago Pekahou Cowan was striding the fairways at Wellington's Shandon club, hitting at driving ranges alongside Michael Campbell and eyeing a career as a golf pro.

But it was another Kiwi sporting icon who gave Cowan his biggest break this week, when Robbie Deans called to offer the 116kg prop a spot in his Wallabies squad.

Cowan, Pek to his mates, today joined his Western Force teammate Matt Hodgson as the two newest Wallabies when Deans unveiled his first 30-man squad of 2009.

Born and raised in the Hutt Valley, Cowan recalls being a year behind Hurricanes lock Jeremy Thrush at school, but rated golf as his first sporting love.

He first picked up a club at age seven, followed the spike marks of top professional Mark Brown at Shandon and was down to a four handicap by his 15th birthday.

"I was lucky enough to see (Campbell) play a few times and he was down at the driving range I used to go to. He was one of the guys I looked up to," Cowan said.
    "It's a really hard sport to crack into, and I did enjoy playing rugby and league a bit more. That was where my heart was.

"As a kid in New Zealand you can do everything, and golf was a little bit left field. I just found I was naturally good at it."

Cowan, now 22, moved to Sydney at 13 when his father changed jobs, and after taking a golf scholarship at Long Reef on the northern beaches, the oval ball beckoned.

He was a natural, making the Australian schoolboys team in 2003, the under-19s in 2004 and the under-21s in 2005. Making the Wallabies was his dream ever since.

But it still didn't ease the shock when Deans called last Monday and summoned Cowan from Perth to Sydney, having played all but one of the Force's Super 14 matches in 2009.

Cowan missed the initial call because he was driving, and didn't recognise Deans' number when he checked.

"The music was on really loud. I just put a new system into my car so I was trying it out.

"I think the song was Jason Mraz, I'm Yours. It will definitely go down as one of my favourites, my good luck song.

"I couldn't believe it. I was kind of shocked. I didn't check the message until I got inside and my partner

Megan was looking at me with this weird look. She said I looked white."

After three attempts, Deans finally answered.

"The first thing I said was sorry. I won't miss another call," Cowan said.

Cowan shifted to the Western Force in their inaugural year in 2006 but it was a big struggle.

He suffered a broken leg and went back to club rugby with Nedlands which he rated "about a Sydney third grade level".

"There were some trying times once I got injured and I was stuck there with my partner at the time, with no family.

"It was a little bit disheartening but I stuck to it, and got lucky with Gareth (Hardy) getting injured."

Hardy's misfortune gave Cowan his big chance at loosehead, and he snatched it.

The Force scrum was solid in 2009 and Mitchell, the former All Blacks coach, brought out the best in his compatriot.

"He's been massive, a fantastic coach. He's not a coach who will just pick who everyone expects him to pick. He's happy to give young guys a go," Cowan said.
    "He's a bit like Robbie Deans in a way, he'll go on form as opposed to who you are. That's given me the opportunity and brought me here today."

Cowan felt he always had the ability but Mitchell gave him the confidence. Now Deans has given Cowan a big chance to show his wares against the Barbarians, Italy and France in the absence of injured props
    Sekope Kepu and Matt Dunning.

Deans said Cowan was chosen with an eye for the future, but was more than ready. His general play and breakdown work had impressed.

"He did catch our eyes, particularly as the Super 14 went on and as the ante went up. He's really grown as a player and grown in belief. He's starting to impose himself on the game a lot more," Deans said.

"He has a history in playing both sides which is valuable. He just caught our eye as a bloke who wasn't daunted and was willing."

And the golfers in the Wallabies had better watch out in the coming weeks, Cowan warns, as they assemble in Sydney for the June Tests.

"I love to still play, I play the Force boys for a bit of cash. As soon as cash comes into play I make sure I bring my own clubs and putter, put my golf shoes on.

"The handicap's probably about 40 now. I can still hit a ball, it just doesn't go as straight."

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/kiwi-go...allaby-2751637

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    thats such a nice article!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    So 'DTE'

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    funny,I used to be a junior member of Shandon

many,many years ago now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    funny,I used to be a junior member of Shandon

many,many years ago now
    Country member now?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    The Force scrum was solid in 2009 and Mitchell, the former All Blacks coach, brought out the best in his compatriot.

"He's been massive, a fantastic coach. He's not a coach who will just pick who everyone expects him to pick. He's happy to give young guys a go," Cowan said.
    "He's a bit like Robbie Deans in a way, he'll go on form as opposed to who you are. That's given me the opportunity and brought me here today."
    Well if that isn’t a ringing endorsement of a coach I don’t know what is!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    So a part of Pek Cowan's selection thinking is to close the All Blacks future options on him... like JOC and Cooper last year...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That's correct Mudskipper, part of Pek Cowans selection as a Wallaby was to secure him as a Wallaby - go figure

Player
    vCash
    Playing Aus A last year had already made him ineligibile for ABs selection for 4 yrs,I really dont think dingos bases his selections on that criteria

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    thats such a nice article!
    Especially the bit about Nedlands ...

vCash
    So Perth 1st Grade comp is only Sydney 3rd grade?!? I find that hard to believe...

vCash
    see props can do anything

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    So a part of Pek Cowan's selection thinking is to close the All Blacks future options on him... like JOC and Cooper last year...
    I don't think that is anyway a negative comment about Pek Cowan... He's been chosen because he has long-term promise... As Deans said about both Cowan and Hodgson "We've chosen them with one eye on the future"…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    No, Pek's selection is based on his play in the S14. He's held down the starting prop's role in one of the best Australian packs. I'd have picked him ahead of Dunning anyway. Pek's been improving hugely over the last couple of seasons and if he's only 22 (I thought he was 24) he's probably got a decade of top-flight rugby ahead of him.

Give him a couple of years and he may be shoving the England pack around in New Zealand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    No, Pek's selection is based on his play in the S14. He's held down the starting prop's role in one of the best Australian packs. I'd have picked him ahead of Dunning anyway. Pek's been improving hugely over the last couple of seasons and if he's only 22 (I thought he was 24) he's probably got a decade of top-flight rugby ahead of him.

Give him a couple of years and he may be shoving the England pack around in New Zealand!
    Yes well thats why he in the Wallabies isn't it? Because they think he has promise... smote away girls...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast