Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dogfight continues over rectangular stadium

vCash
    The Ak Reserve Project was the one that got canned due to toxic landfill etc....

The photos on that site are of the athletics and basketball side of things which are near complete.

I did a tour of the Athletics and basketball sites as part of work about 6 months ago and brought up the rugby issue basically DSR and RugbyWA were still in discussions over it.

My guess would be that it all gets done at UWA with a partnership with DSR, RugbyWA and UWA. I dont see why they cant throw the money into ME or a Rectangle stadium and make their training and admin headquaters there....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    that would seem like the most logical, and convienent option. so it will probably never happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    As far as I'm concered the Glory owes him shit, he left them in a lurch when the new A-League started up and it has taken them 4 years to recover from it
    Hmmmm. Did he? Or did he leave them with a favourable stadium deal that they don't want to give up? That's about the only reason I could think of for not moving to a new arena.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Hmmmm. Did he?
    Bloody oath he did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Bloody oath he did
    Then I too wonder why they would be keen to stay at MES if they had a better facility in the offing.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    To be honest, I think folk are misreading what he meant. As I see it, what he is saying is that a lot of work has been put in on the MES upgrade, Government buy-in is a couple of months away, but suddenly the FFA has stuck their oar in and demanded/proposed a new stadium (not sure who would be paying) that would definitely derail a rectangular stadium for the foreseeable future.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought it was just normal buisness jockeying for position- don't commit until you see detail, and you are in a much stronger bargining position if they feel they need to entice you to move. And never forget rule number one - price for a NO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    To be honest, I think folk are misreading what he meant................. but suddenly the FFA has stuck their oar in and demanded/proposed a new stadium
    Maybe, Andy. But it's still puzzling is why Glory would object. The current proposal for ToV and RugbyWA to do a temp expansion to 20-odd thousand, including extra corporates, would easily accommodate Glory's needs for the forseeable. So that even if a new arena takes years longer, Football fans would end up with a modern facility capable of hosting WC tournament matches, World Cup qualifiers and Asian Champs League etc.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps indicative of just how "band-aid" the temporary facilities will be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2