Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Logjam at Canberra to benefit Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Logjam at Canberra to benefit Force

Wayne Smith | May 18, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Brumbies might be prepared to release Matt Toomua or Christian Lealiifano to the Western Force if either player felt he was caught in a logjam of quality five-eighths next year following Matt Giteau's return to Canberra.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey confirmed yesterday that NSW had spoken to the Brumbies about the possibility of Toomua being released to them in the event of Daniel Halangahu deciding to accept an offer to play overseas.

Halangahu subsequently re-signed with the Waratahs and the tentative arrangements were never acted upon, but with the Western Force facing a crisis at five-eighth now that Giteau has played his last match for the Perth franchise, it is possible the deal could be tweaked.

Certainly the Brumbies will have an embarrassment of talent to cover the five-eighth position next year, with Giteau, Lealiifano, the first-choice playmaker this season until he strained his hamstring scoring the winning try against the Bulls, and his late-season replacement Toomua all on their books.

As well, their starting five-eighth last season, Julian Huxley, is investigating whether he will be allowed to play again next year after undergoing brain surgery last year to remove a tumour.

There is, as well, a very real prospect of the Brumbies luring teenage Wallaby James O'Connor to Canberra. Although he is being chased by the ACT primarily as a fullback or inside centre, few observers in Australian rugby are in any doubt that he could succeed Giteau as Wallabies five-eighth.

ACT Rugby boss Andrew Fagan said yesterday he had not talked to Lealiifano or Toomua about the possibility of them moving to another franchise to avoid being stuck in a queue in Canberra, and would not initiate such a move.
    "But it is a conversation I would be prepared to have, along with (head coach) Andy Friend," he said. "That doesn't mean I would release them. But if we felt we weren't doing the right thing by a player and they were ready to play Super 14, then we'd entertain the discussion, as long as it did not impact on any medium-term succession planning.

"We're not the sort of organisation that would look to warehouse players. If players aren't getting opportunities and it made sense to look at another province, then we'd at least talk about it. But there is no reason why Christian couldn't play 12 or 15 for us next season or why Matt couldn't be used at 12. You want depth in your squad."

Force chief executive Greg Harris has pinned his main hopes on securing Stormers playmaker Peter Grant as Giteau's replacement, but those plans might need to be shredded if Grant is named in the Springboks squad for next month's three-Test series against the British and Irish Lions.

After Grant, the Force hit list borders on whimsy, with even former French Test five-eighth Frederic Michelak's name under discussion, although Harris said no one in the organisation had any idea how rumours of 2003 England World Cup hero Jonny Wilkinson considering a move to Perth had begun circulating.

Even if Toomua does not seek a release to take a starring role for the Force, he has still performed a valuable service to the Perth club by demonstrating that a player of 19 - O'Connor - is not too young to run a Super 14 team.

Had the Brumbies scored the bonus point win they needed against the Chiefs to qualify for the finals - they lost instead 10-7 - it would have been Toomua who would have taken the playmaker's role in the semi-final against the Bulls in Pretoria next weekend.

"If he can do that as a 19-year-old, why can't James?" Harris asked yesterday. "Have a look at the way Matt Giteau developed as a player when he came to Perth to play five-eighth. Responsibility can have a big impact on how a player matures.
    "James is going to be the No1 bloke if he stays here in Perth or he can go there (to Canberra) to live in someone else's shadow.

"And it will be sad for Australian rugby if he goes to the Brumbies. What the game needs is a spread of talent across the provinces.

"But if he was to go, I'd like to think Lealiifano or Toomua might become available. That would be a wonderful thing."

The Force finished in eighth position, just one rung lower than the Brumbies, after holding on against a resurgent Highlanders on Saturday. For a moment, it seemed the Force was going to throw away another win just as it did when it lost to the Hurricanes after leading by 11 points with three minutes to play, but the Highlanders, down 0-23 at halftime, couldn't sustain their second-half charge and lost 33-28.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-2722,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Not as much a log jam as a squad with an abundance of youthful talent. Sounds like Brumbies CEO Fagan will only consider it if Lealiifano or Toomua request an early release… I expect they will have their eyes on Melbourne for 2011… Furthermore JOC might not even sign with the Brumbies…

vCash
    Given that they will both be competing for a bench spot that will probably get no game time, given that Gits can play out the full 80. Which one of the two has more utility value?

vCash
    Both... have plenty of value... look at the Crusaders their playing Flyhalfs throught the back this season...

vCash
    Something will give in the pecking order thats for sure. Lealifano might make a good fullback

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Not as much a log jam as a squad with an abundance of youthful talent.
    And they call Force supporters one eyed

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Player
    vCash
    Toomua would be a great pickup for the Force if O'Connor leaves. I have been absolutely stunned by his maturity and control at 10 since he came in. Better than Lealeifano (sp?) in his consistency at least and shown a great all-round game. He's a QLD boy and so would be less likely lured to Melbourne than Lealeifano for whom Melbourne is home. And QLD already have 3 great 10s, so he could become a long term prospect for the Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    Toomua would be a great pickup for the Force ....
    either would be a nice pick up (personally I prefer Lealiifano as I think he has a better all round game), but is either going to be better than the marquee we are looking for?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    either would be a nice pick up (personally I prefer Lealiifano as I think he has a better all round game), but is either going to be better than the marquee we are looking for?
    From what I've seen of Toomua in the last few weeks, I'd say he's already better than Grant... and he's only 19!

Anyway, could play Toomua at 12 in the way we did this season with O'Connor to let him develop. Or, we could grab a marquee 12!

vCash
    Not better than a marquee, and I think either would see O'Connor moving on.....I really think he's waiting to see who the Force can recruit at 10 to feed him ball....I think his confidence will be shaken if a developing player is given the slot.

C'mon the

vCash
    Christian Lealiifano
    he will be a great catch to, he played soo well this year
    man seriously yesterday was speaking to the father and said michlak should come west and we should try get Christian Lealiifano really wierd that fred was in paper today but good

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Player
    vCash
    If Matt Toomua is released from the Brumbies then the Force should chase him hard. Assuming O'Connor stays a combination with Toomua could be a very exciting thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    If Matt Toomua is released from the Brumbies then the Force should chase him hard. Assuming O'Connor stays a combination with Toomua could be a very exciting thing.
    We might get to see Toomua and JOC play alongside each other in the U20 RWC next month... could be very interesting... and Rob Horne outside.... baby Wallabies...

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    seriously yesterday was speaking to the father
    This a religious thing Lara??

vCash
    ahahah i ment dad

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast