Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs still alive after bonus point win against the Lions

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Waratahs still alive after bonus point win against the Lions

The Waratahs have come from behind in the second half to score a bonus point victory over the Lions and keep their semi-final hopes alive.

The visitors scored four first half tries to take a commanding lead at the break, however it took a try five minutes from full-time to secure a 38-33 victory at Ellis Park, Johannesburg.

The result moves the HSBC Waratahs into third on the Super 14 ladder, however results in the Blues-Crusaders, Reds-Hurricanes and Sharks-Bulls clashes on Saturday will determine their semi-final fate.

NSW started in the best possible way when Lachie Turner scored after a Timana Tahu break in the fifth minute, and then went further ahead when Luke Burgess found space on the fringe of the ruck before offloading to Dean Mumm who crossed under the posts.

The Lions were quick to hit back, however, with an Andre Pretorius penalty in the 14th minute followed three minutes later by a converted try to Jano Vermaak which reduced the margin to four.

Pretorius then chanced his arm at a drop goal while referee Marius Jonker was playing advantage for a high tackle, reducing the margin to one.

NSW returned to their game plan and started making territorial inroads. The pressure resulted in the Lions going long on a 5m lineout, however captain Phil Waugh read the play beautifully to steal the throw and drop over the line to score in the 31st minute.

Three minutes later the Waratahs snared the four-try bonus point when a desperate pass by Burgess found Peter Playford who looked up to find a gaping hole which he went through and scored under the posts.

Daniel Halangahu's fourth conversion from as many attempts took the visitors to a 28-13 lead at the break.

The Lions were desperate to score first in the second half and Vermaak crossed for his second try in the 43rd minute, with the Pretorius' conversion closing the margin to eight.

The Lions skipper continued to apply pressure with the boot kicking another drop goal and another penalty inside the following ten minutes, taking the score to 28-26 just 12 minutes into the half.

In the 55th minute Timana Tahu was shown a yellow card for a high tackle, and the momentum continued the Lions way when Man of the Match Willem Alberts crossed five minutes later to put the home side in the lead for the first time.

Halangahu kicked his first penalty of the game in the 67th minute to take the score to 33-31, setting up a grandstand finish.

The Waratahs had to work hard for territory, then after recycling the ball over a series phases spread the ball wide to replacement Tom Carter who scored the fifth try of the night for the visitors.

Halangahu's conversion took the Waratahs to 38-33 advantage; a handy lead with five minutes remaining given Pretorius' great night with the boot.

As the clock wound down the Lions were not deterred and looked to have crossed just seconds before the siren however Jonker ruled the pass to Deon van Rensburg forward, breaking the hearts of the Ellis Park crowd and keeping NSW's semi-final hopes alive.

HSBC Waratahs 38 (Lachie Turner, Dean Mumm, Phil Waugh, Peter Playford, Tom Carter tries; Daniel Halangahu 5 cons, pen) d Lions 33 (Jano Vermaak 2, Willem Alberts tries; Andrew Pretorius 3 cons, 2 pens, 2 cons) at Ellis Park, Johannesburg. Half-time: HSBC Waratahs 28-13. Referee: Marius Jonker (RSA). Man of the Match: Willem Alberts (Lions).

BY THE CLOCK
    3rd minute - Lachie Turner try, Daniel Halangahu conversion; HSBC Waratahs 7-0.
    11th minute - Dean Mumm try, Daniel Halangahu conversion; HSBC Waratahs 14-0.
    14th minute - Andre Pretorius penalty goal; HSBC Waratahs 14-3.
    17th minute - Jano Vermaak try, Andre Pretorius conversion; HSBC Waratahs 14-10.
    24th minute - Andre Pretorius drop goal; HSBC Waratahs 14-13.
    31st minute - Phil Waugh try, Daniel Halangahu conversion; HSBC Waratahs 21-13.
    34th minute - Peter Playford try, Daniel Halangahu conversion; HSBC Waratahs 28-13.
    43rd minute - Jano Vermaak try, Andre Pretorius conversion; HSBC Waratahs 28-20.
    49th minute - Andre Pretorius drop goal; HSBC Waratahs 28-23.
    52nd minute - Andre Pretorius penalty goal; HSBC Waratahs 28-26.
    55th minute - Timana Tahu yellow card.
    58th minute - Willem Alberts try, Andre Pretorius conversion; Lions 33-28.
    67th minute - Daniel Halangahu penalty goal. Lions 33-31.
    75th minute - Tom Carter try, Daniel Halangahu conversion; HSBC Waratahs 38-33

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    I've just seen the 'forward' pass for the disallowed try (Lions) in the last couple of minutes.....another bewildering decision by Jonkers.....what does this idiot have to do to lose his spot as an officiating ref?!?!?!

What a joke!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What did you think of the after try antics of Carter?

Rookie
    vCash
    i watched the game last night and it was forward, a few replays showed it, although the tahs did deserve to win. jonkers worst decisions arnt showen in that video above. he was shocking for a while there. and his rulings seemed to come and go!

impressive tour by the tahs, 3 in a roq in south africa which apparantly is the first time ever by a kiwi or aus side. unfortunately it seems to be to little to late.

having to sit through tahs games while my brother goes bonkers made me wish that the had played hangers and beale at 10 & 12 for the whole season, makes the team alot better to watch! also good to see beale running and tackling a bit more, good for him!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't think the pass was forward, but did think Alberts's try was a double movement - swings and roundabouts. Pity the Waratahs couldn't play attacking football without shipping points though. Object lesson for all teams that fail to be ruthless and close out games (and who would I be thinking of.......?)

Rookie
    vCash
    thought it was nteresting with all the talk about the tahs being boring that the crusaders actually scored less points than them, just defended one try better. if the tahs are boring then the crusaders must have been to by proxy, yet they seemed to have been forgiven cos deans left.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It wasn't just that they didn't score a lot of tries, it was their style of play that was boring.

And their Captain was boring in his post match interviews. And their Coach was boring. And their crowds.

boring boring boring...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    And their crowds.

boring boring boring...

Dunno about that.

I reckon "Media Guy #7" thought the crowd was fairly amusing.

The rest of your assessment seems fair, and would go a long way to explaining what made 'Media Guy #7' such a star

Rookie
    vCash
    they had alot more people atend games than the force though! gotta give em credit for that! hopefully they put more seating at MES so it doesnt happen again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    they had alot more people atend games than the force though! gotta give em credit for that! hopefully they put more seating at MES so it doesnt happen again!
    got nothing to do with Sydney having 4 times the population though does it?

Rookie
    vCash
    not really! on here the tahs cop alot of critisism but yet, they dont actually deserve it, much like the brumbies and reds. alot of people here just jump on bandwagons cos its cool. it would be good if some people who cared about the force actually watched and enjoyed rugby in this country rather than just badmouthing it at every turn.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tahs deserve every bit of critisism we can dish out. After all they are the Tahs.

Rookie
    vCash
    yeah, i dont like em, and i have to watch em, but they have good players and do some good things. i would take the force winning 9 games anyway i could get it though so i can see were the tahs fans are coming from!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    thought it was nteresting with all the talk about the tahs being boring that the crusaders actually scored less points than them,

The crusaders also equalled the Tahs on the points ladder with the aid of a bunus point for losing 3-6 in Invercargill. How's that for boring? I hate to say it but it does lend some credence to Cro Mag's post match gripe about the bonus points system. I think there is some merit in the idea that there should be a try scoring requirement before gaining a losing bonus point.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast