Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies urge James O'Connor to see move as long-term investment

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies urge James O'Connor to see move as long-term investment

| May 16, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Brumbies have urged teenage sensation James O'Connor to regard a move to Canberra as a long-term investment as opposed to a short-term grab for cash.

At only 18, O'Connor is the hottest property on the Australian rugby market and is trying to decide between remaining at Western Force or joining the Brumbies.

The Brumbies acknowledge they cannot compete with the Force financially, but they are trying to convince O'Connor he will make more money in the long run if he develops into the best player he can become.

With Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau moving back to Canberra from Perth next year to direct a slick Brumbies backline, there is some merit in the ACT side's argument.

O'Connor is more advanced than Giteau at the same age, but the key for his career is to continue his development.

Giteau is one of several backs who are leaving the Force after tonight's game against the Highlanders in Perth, including winger/fullback Drew Mitchell, utility back Scott Staniforth, halfback Josh Valentine and inside centre Junior Pelesasa.

The Force has signed Waratahs reserve halfback Brett Sheehan to replace Valentine, but it has so far been unable to find an import to take over from Giteau.

If the Force is unable to secure an experienced five-eighth, much of the responsibility for guiding the team around the field will fall on O'Connor's young shoulders. But the Force do have strong financial backing from several West Australian companies, which are keen to see O'Connor stay in Perth.

The ARU is also believed to be trying to talk O'Connor into staying to ensure the Force remains competitive.

There was speculation yesterday that O'Connor was leaning towards Canberra, but the Brumbies did not know anything about it.

"James is keen to make a decision in the not too distant future," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "The offers are quite different. The Force are offering a lot of money. I'm not feeling confident. While they continue to offer third-party money, it makes negotiations unpredictable. Players continue to compare apples with oranges.

"We have a compelling rugby argument for James to develop into the best player he can and be a dominant player for the Wallabies in 2011. He has to weigh that up against the financial incentives in the west.

"We are encouraging him to take a long-term view. His earning potential will be maximised by continuing to develop as a rugby player. We think he can do that best here."

A precocious talent, O'Connor became the second-youngest player to represent the Wallabies when he made his Test debut against Italy in Padua last November. Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is almost certain to pull him out of the Australian under-20s squad competing at the World Cup in Japan next month to include him in the senior national team.

O'Connor could start for the Wallabies at inside centre or fullback against the Barbarians in Sydney on June 6, but Deans sees him more as a number 15 at this stage of his career. At the very least O'Connor will command a place on the reserves' bench with his ability to play five-eighth, inside centre and fullback.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This article makes me VERY angry...

how dare they compare the Force and Brumbies in that light... no wonder people like Eddie #@$@#%head Jones calls us Cowboys! Sick & tired of this constant shallow spiteful naysaying from the eastern States.

Yes the Force have put a better offer on the table, that doesnt f()cking mean we dont have any other incentives for JOC to stay.. it may well mean that we have both developmental opportunity AND Money. We did just lose our biggest money drain (wonderboy Giteau) didnt we? of course we will have a bit of extra budget to use now! and JOC is worth it.

For all the boasting that the Brumbies have got the best developmental base of all the Super franchises in Aus i see very little in terms of stand out talent other than Giteau right now... and I could argue that he has developed more as a player over here in the west than he did in pollie land.

Fagan - just like the character in Oliver twist! Silky word spinner with nothing but bad intentions!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    If his development is the base of his decision, O'Connor should ask himself 2 questions.

1. How have I developed since starting with the Western Force
    2. If I had gone to the Brumbies instead of the Force, what would have been better?

Answers:
    1. He went from a potential prospect to playing Wallabies and becoming a starting player in a Super14 team
    2. Given point 1 above, probably nothing.

His development is obviously progressing well at the Force, and he is already a starter here. My advice: stick with the dog you know, they're obviously doing a good job. If he picks up a bit of extra pocket money, that's a bonus.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    This article makes me VERY angry...

For all the boasting that the Brumbies have got the best developmental base of all the Super franchises in Aus i see very little in terms of stand out talent other than Giteau right now... and I could argue that he has developed more as a player over here in the west than he did in pollie land.

Fagan - just like the character in Oliver twist! Silky word spinner with nothing but bad intentions!!
    giteau moved positions at the force but he went to the force to play 10 cos larkham was still at the brumbies. the reason he got 1.5 million (or was promised it) was becasue of how good a player he was already!

the argument about development is one we as fans cant really answer. one could argue for and against for every team in australia. only the players really know whats right for them.

i would love to see o'connor stay but at the same time, alot of people here have said that players came to perth to play with giteau. and then in relation to the development of player, the signing of ben castle was said to help the force front row develop. if some big name players dont get signed soon i could see JOC getting cold feet.

i think following the next world cup there is going to be alot of player movement and were going to lose a large number of wallabies overseas. JOC will only be 20, that should be his huge contract then. i agree that this one should be about him becoming that player that gets that money. just hope the force can get a 10 that tells him thats the force!

vCash
    This article riles me, what makes the brumbies a better bet than us.

When last did the Brumbies play semi final football, if memory serves me right not once since the super 14 expansion, when Force came into existence. The have have hovered at the top end of mid table and stayed their consistently with no real movement.

Force on the other hand despite all the obsticles put in the way, have gone from cellar dwellers to mid table to beating all Australian teams, and this year being more than competitive in almost all their games.

I ask where is the greatest development being shown and where is the stagnantion????

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    giteau moved positions at the force but he went to the force to play 10 cos larkham was still at the brumbies. the reason he got 1.5 million (or was promised it) was becasue of how good a player he was already!

Noones disputing he wasnt already a good player... he wouldntve been bought for 4.5million fat ones if he wasnt... but you are incorrect in saying he came over as a 10.. in fact he came over as a 12 ( And if memory serves me correctly 9 for the wallabies) and then moved to 10 halfway through his first season, displacing the talented Hilgendorf - theres development right there for you!!

So what Im saying is that that article says the Force are luring JOC for money alone and the Brumbies are luring him with development opportunities which is simply not true.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Noones disputing he wasnt already a good player... he wouldntve been bought for 4.5million fat ones if he wasnt... but you are incorrect in saying he came over as a 10.. in fact he came over as a 12 ( And if memory serves me correctly 9 for the wallabies) and then moved to 10 halfway through his first season, displacing the talented Hilgendorf - theres development right there for you!!

So what Im saying is that that article says the Force are luring JOC for money alone and the Brumbies are luring him with development opportunities which is simply not true.
    actually i said giteau moved to the force to play 10 cos he was behind larkham at the brumbies, he always wanted to play ten and signed with another team to do so, he had studied ten and played there when larkham was injured a few times. him being moved intot he position that was always his long term goal was a "developmenT" but the argument presented above was that the force developed him more than the brumbies did, which cannot be justified.

i want all four teams to do well but being blind to the fact that in buying giteau the force brought success doesnt help. i just hope the force board sees what has happened and finds players that are loyal and will stick by the jersey rather than cut and run at the end of every contract so we can build a team over 5 years or so than have to support new players every two years!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If you read Gits article in todays West rrg you will find that you are wrong.

Rookie
    vCash
    have you got a link?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    no...NSW sacked him.

Rookie
    vCash
    right, so you dont have a link?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No worries young lady.....but key points of what he says are

"Coming to Perth was the best thing for me."

"I have grown a lot and I am going to make it my home outside Rugby."

"In Canberra I was playing behind Larkham and tended to relax more"

"As a player I have gone from a #12 who didn't like making the calls to a #10 who wouldnt want it any other way"

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 16-05-09 at 12:09.

Rookie
    vCash
    so he said what i said? that he came to perth to play 10 cos he was behind larkham?
    the growing part can mean anything, remember to, he lived with his folks in canberra so it was his first time away from home so to speak being in perth, you would hope anyone would grow in that situation!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No Miss...he was 12 at the Brumbies. And 12 when he got here. ANd at the TWF awards night in early 2008 he acknowledged that he would have to move into 10 to allow for Stanners to be at 12.

vCash
    the most concerning bit in the article is "players threatened a revolt at the meeting the day before the match against queensland in brisbane in april, although they agreed to do the right thing and not fake injuries, the unhappiness spilled on to the pitch and the forces semi-final chances were terminally damaged in a 29-12 upset loss."

so the players hearts weren't really in it, so much for playing for the jumper!!...
    the sooner we get rid of these unsettling influences in our team the better..
    roll on next season, new ground new team and hopefully new outlook!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast