Thread: 100 UP AND FAREWELL TO SPANNER

vCash

100 UP AND FAREWELL TO SPANNER

Scott Staniforth will play his 100th and final match for the Emirates Western Force on Saturday night and is glad to be finishing his career in good form.

After missing four of the first five games of the 2009 Investec Super 14 season battling back from a knee injury, Staniforth has returned to the wing for the Force and has been in tremendous form.

The 31-year-old will head to Japan to play in the future, but will still be based in Perth and is a little emotional ahead of his final game, although proud to reach 100 caps.

"I'm a little bit nervous, but am looking forward to finishing on a good note. It's the end of my Super 14 career, so there is a bit of sadness but there's an exciting challenge ahead," Staniforth said.

"It's certainly better than 99, which it looked like I mind end up on during the year. To finish on 100 is quite special. It's good to go out on a good note and I'll keep it this way or else they might be wheeling me out in a wheelchair next year."

Staniforth and the rest of the departing players make Saturday night's clash with the Highlanders at Subiaco Oval an emotional one, but despite those leaving he will continue to support a team that he believes has a bright future still.

"Whenever you get a big group of players like this leaving it is a bit emotional because it's the last chance to play together. We probably haven’t made the most of our talent as a team either, so we are looking forward to going out on a good note," he said.

"I'll be one of the boys in the stands next year cheering the boys on at Members Equity. There's a big future here and the young guys that have signed like (David) Pocock, (Richard) Brown and hopefully (James) O'Connor are the future of the club."

The Force have shown glimpses of brilliance this year from the impressive backline while the frontrow has improved tremendously, but Staniforth feels the team should at least still be in finals contention.

"We feel we could have done better this year," he said.

"Looking at my career, this is the most exciting backline I've ever been part of and we haven’t won the close games we could have."

Staniforth has also enjoyed playing in front of an enthusiastic Perth sporting public with the Force and wants to give something back to them on Saturday night.

"The boys really appreciate the Perth and WA support. The fans have been great and are a bit different than on the east coast," he said.

"They are more like the AFL crowd by wearing your colours and getting behind you. There are no golf clappers amongst them, so it's good."

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55706.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Presentation to former Wallaroo

Just on a different topic for Saturdays game, one of the girls we play Touch Rugby with is a former Wallaroo.
    As part of the half time entertainment, it's likely that she's going to be presented with her Wallaroo Cap by none other than Phil Kearns (they didn't present them to the girls at the time she played, so they are now all receiving them).
    It's supposed to be happening near the players race, so give the girls a big cheer if you see it happening (and an extra big cheer for Holly from our touch team). It's great to see the girls being recognised for their efforts.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer