Thread: Pocock key to Brown staying at Force

vCash

Pocock key to Brown staying at Force

The Western Force have Richard Brown's back-row teammate David Pocock to thank for the No.8 committing his future to the WA franchise.

The Wallabies international bucked the trend last week by agreeing a new deal with the Force, just as the likes of Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Ben Castle and Drew Mitchell are heading for the exit door.

“The reason is my curly, blond-haired friend over there (Pocock) – and it is also the place I’ve grown up, grown as a player and grown as a person, and I didn’t want to change that,” Brown said when asked the reason behind his staying at the Force.

“I probably wish it had been over and done with sooner because it is another thing that weighs on your shoulders at practice and in games and life in general.”

Pocock returned the compliment to his good mate as the two fronted the media as the Australian Rugby Union launched ticket sales to the Australia v South Africa Tri-Nations Test in Perth on August 29.

“It’s massive for the Force – Browny he was at the very first training session for the Force and he’s put his heart and soul into it over the past four years,” Pocock said.

“So to see him stay is really good for the guys that are staying and I think for the guys that haven’t signed yet, it is also a good sign.

“Obviously we really enjoy playing together and we enjoy each others company off the field, so it was a big bonus for me.”

The duo’s pairing in the back row is one of the success stories of Force’s short history. Both have gone on to represent Australia after beginning their careers in Perth.

Brown says that despite feeling a tinge of sadness at the imminent departure of star backs Giteau and Mitchell and a host of others, the Force are positive about what lies ahead.

“I think that no one is irreplaceable, it think we saw that when Rocky Elsom left the Wallabies last year. But success does come if players grow up and take that responsibility.”

PERTH
    CLINT THOMAS

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    There is the video interview of it here:

Can a mod/Coach please fix it so the video shows up please, thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 13-05-09 at 22:17. Reason: sure :)