Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Western Force v Bulls 25 March 2006

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_the_pom
    im right? dont hear that much on this website
    Sorry everyone - but when he is right you have to say so. I will try not to do it again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    Luke - you are right!! - a win is a win in this competition you have to take the win first and the bonus points second.
    Yeah but surely where they are placed in the competition the bonus points could mean the difference between a finals spot or not. That would indicate to me that they didn't have the belief in themselves to score and they believed there was a real possibility of losing to the lowest ranked team in the competition. I smell fear and you don't win competitions with that attitude.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Sorry everyone - but when he is right you have to say so. I will try not to do it again.
    i must admit, im not sure what to do with myself right now

maybe i should never talk again and go out on a HIGH

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

vCash
    Yeah Mambo, I was going to chastise you for that.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Yeah but surely where they are placed in the competition the bonus points could mean the difference between a finals spot or not. That would indicate to me that they didn't have the belief in themselves to score and they believed there was a real possibility of losing to the lowest ranked team in the competition. I smell fear and you don't win competitions with that attitude.
    so you would risk 3 definates points just to maybe have that 1 extra point?
    i think every1 would have done the same as the bulls did!
    they walked away with a rare win in Aust and left us to wallow in another defeat without even a bonus point - think they would be happy enough with the result in the end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Yeah Mambo, I was going to chastise you for that.
    Sorry. Back to your earlier points though Enforcer. We all have to look at the positives of sat nights result. The big word for me is "IMPROVEMENT". That is all that I ask for out of the Force this year and apart from the Chief's game we have shown it in every game. The backs have now had a few games together and it is starting to show in their combinations and their trust. Shepherd was hitting the line at the right time in the right place and they were holding onto the ball. Faith, belief and Improvement. They are all coming together. The same this week will put us in with a chance.

vCash
    Sorry. Back to your earlier points though Enforcer. We all have to look at the positives of sat nights result. The big word for me is "IMPROVEMENT". That is all that I ask for out of the Force this year and apart from the Chief's game we have shown it in every game. The backs have now had a few games together and it is starting to show in their combinations and their trust. Shepherd was hitting the line at the right time in the right place and they were holding onto the ball. Faith, belief and Improvement. They are all coming together. The same this week will put us in with a chance.

good call mate

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agree with you there Mambo, especially re the backs.
    You either have to off-load in the tackle or ensure you retain the ball until the forwards catch up to create the ruck or maul.
    In previous games this has not occurred with plenty of turnover ball going to the opposition immediately after an inspirational bit of play by our backs.
    There is a great shot of Staniforth off-loading under extreme duress in the article on the match on the ARU site. http://www.rugby.com.au/aru/photo.asp?id=43056
    I don't know if the pass stuck but is the kind of thing that you see ever week from the top sides but rarley from the Force, keeping the ball moving to keep the defensive line moving.
    The best example of it I have seen by the Force so far is in the build up to Fava's try against the Brumbies where we managed to string some great skill passes together to shatter any form of planned defensive effort.
    It is coming fellas, great to see so many of us preparred to voice their optimism because it is all too easy to get on the media band wagon and starting getting negative.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    so you would risk 3 definates points just to maybe have that 1 extra point?
    i think every1 would have done the same as the bulls did!
    they walked away with a rare win in Aust and left us to wallow in another defeat without even a bonus point - think they would be happy enough with the result in the end
    Agree to differ but come on Luke, I didn't see any wallowing on Saturday night. Get yourself off of the deck and get positive my boy.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    It is coming fellas, great to see so many of us preparred to voice their optimism because it is all too easy to get on the media band wagon and starting getting negative.
    Talking about which. Anyone else get the feeling the tide is turning in the media? That some are starting to realise that with all that's been stacked against our boys that they really have not been going too bad?

When you think of some of the monumental hidings that get dished out from time to time in Super Rugby to provinces with very long histories in first class matches, you might even say The Boys have done astonishingly well. I sure would.

vCash
    gutless? they were making sure of a win - smart play not gutless!

forward or not we got lucky with Staniforth's 2nd try, if they went upstairs im not sure it would have been paid - some decisions will go with ya and some wont

i think people are gettin carried away with the last 10minutes - wat bout the whole first half? it was pretty poor

hopefully we can put a full 80mins together and get the stormers this week!!!!

CARN THE FORCE
    They went for the penalty only to ensure that they won. They could have gone for the bonus point themselves with a 4th try... they had enough time.

I reckon that we will be able to put together 80 minutes this weekend

Once we get a win under our belts, then all the pressure is off the team and they can relax a little. The weight of expectation must be incredible for them...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Talking about which. Anyone else get the feeling the tide is turning in the media? That some are starting to realise that with all that's been stacked against our boys that they really have not been going too bad?

When you think of some of the monumental hidings that get dished out from time to time in Super Rugby to provinces with very long histories in first class matches, you might even say The Boys have done astonishingly well. I sure would.
    You're right, I've noticed a distinct change in attitude too. They deserve loads more praise that they've had up till now.

Just happy to be here

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The Bulls went for a penalty - it was the correct call by them. but I beleive it was for a different reason then has been suggested.

The facts are that the force put on 21 points in very quick succession. We were on a roll on and the Subi crowd were going off like a frog in a sock.

We gave away the penalty and straight away the point to the sticks - it was a no brainer. immediatly the crowd was taken out of the equation, and so was the our team. it wasted some time right at the end of the match. And it ensured that the Western Force went off the boil. Very smart move by the Bulls Captain in my opinion.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta

Yep, I would go with that shasta for sure, both the slowly changing media and re the scorelines.
    Even comparing this season we are well in front of some of the blow outs by other teams with the highest score against us being 32 by the Tahs and this week recording our highest score yet, 21!
    So far there has been eight other games were higher scores have been recorded than against the Force.
    Actually, if you check on Rugby WA at the moment apparently we won against the Bulls!!! http://www.rugbywa.com.au/wa/wa.rugby/page/30797

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2