Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Richard Brown Signs New 2 Year Deal With The Force

vCash

Richard Brown Signs New 2 Year Deal With The Force

Powerful Wallabies Number 8 Richard Brown will be calling Perth home for at least the next two years after signing off on a new contract to stay with the Emirates Western Force until the end of the 2011 season.

Brown confirmed the new deal whilst on tour with the WA side in South Africa.

‘Brown Dog’ has rapidly developed into one of the premier loose forwards in the country having arrived in Perth as a foundation squad member of the Emirates Western Force in 2006.

His watershed 2008 campaign with the Force earned him selection in the Wallabies winter Test squad, where he eventually broke through for his Test debut in the Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup ‘decider’ in his former home town of Brisbane.

But if 2008 was his coming of age, Brown has only built on that impressive platform with an outstanding 2009 campaign.

The damaging back rower has now extended his Super 14 experience to 39 caps and has matured into a key member of the team’s leadership group.

The Nudgee College product, who hails from the regional north Queensland town of Julia Creek, finished the year with five Test caps, including four appearances on the Wallabies Spring Tour.

Brown said he considered his future carefully before pledging his allegiance to the Emirates Western Force.

“I’m very happy with the decision I’ve made but it was important to weigh up all of my options in the contracting process,” he said.

“I feel that I play my best football when I’m enjoying the game and in the end it came down to where I was going to be happiest and where I feel I can develop the most as a player,” he said.

Having made his debut in the Force’s inaugural match against the Brumbies in 2006, Brown is hoping to share in more success as the team advances its standing in Australian and Super Rugby.

“There have already been some fantastic achievements, like our first win in 2006, first home win in 2007 and the triple crown this year. Being a part of those moments will be something I can eventually look back on and be proud of, but there’s definitely a lot more to achieve this year and over the next two years.”

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said securing the long-term services of the team’s star number 8 was a top priority for the organisation.

“Richard has been one of the biggest success stories in the short history of this team, making his debut in our first match and developing into a five-Test Wallaby within three years,” said Hardy.

“Browny is not only a talented rugby player but is a tremendous character in the group. We regard him a vital part of the future of the Emirates Western Force and we are delighted to have reached agreement to keep him at the club until the end of 2011.”

RugbyWA can also confirm that Hurricanes prop Tim Fairbrother has signed a two-year deal with the club.

The experienced 119kg, 27-year-old tighthead prop rejected lucrative European offers to join the WA side from 2010.

The former New Zealand Under 21s representative is eligible to play for the Wallabies due to his Australian grandparents and will not occupy either of the team’s two foreign player positions.

FACT FILES

Richard Brown
    Position: Number 8/Flanker
    Physical: 189cm, 103kg
    Super Caps: 39
    Super Points: 20 (4t)
    Super Debut: 2006 v Brumbies, Perth
    Test Caps: 5
    Test Points: 0
    Test Debut: 2008 v New Zealand, Brisbane
    Representative Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2001), Australian Sevens (2003-04), Australian Under 21s (2003-04), Wallabies (2008)

Tim Fairbrother
    Position: Prop
    Physical: 183cm, 119kg
    Super Caps: 58
    Super Points: 5 (1t)
    Super Debut: 2003 v Stormers (for Hurricanes)
    Representative Honours: New Zealand Under 16s (1998), New Zealand Under 19s (2001-02), New Zealand Under 21s (2002-03)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    happy days......

Rookie
    vCash
    great to hear!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    On ya Brownie......now for the other Nudgee boy

vCash
    This is good news
    Not only is Brown a top class performer, it will settle the nerves of those thinking about their future.

Time for JOC to step up. Grow some balls. WA is the future of Oz rugby

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash

Talking

Bloody wonderful news.

vCash
    The engineroom is looking really good for next year. Barring another injury plague like 2006, whoever we get at 10 will have enough strike weapons outside him to use it.

Onward & upward.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    onya Browine

weren't people saying we were screwed? Mass Exodus, blah blah blah??

vCash
    horahhhhhh

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    YAY!! Woohoo!! Good on ya Brownie

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Our standout for me has been our forward pack especially the Loosies and with the signing of Brown for 2 years it can only get better. What amazes me is that out of our regular starting forwards 5 of 8 are 25 years old or younger (Brown 25 Pocock 21, Wykes 21, Hockings 23 Cowan 23). Correct me if I am wrong but these guys are all signed until 2011, if so what an engine room of consistent young blokes that will all only get better with every game.

Just what the Force needed to shut the SMH up! Happy happy lala

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    yeeeehah -I just read the story in "The Age" The brown dog is truly an astute man of strong substance! Time to crack a bintang and celebrate.

Hah! so much for the alleged mass exodus..

Typically, in true east coast fashion, The Age article had to make mention of rotto. Bstards!

Champion
    vCash
    This is good news!

vCash
    Excellent news.

vCash
    Great news for the Force... Talk about being in the right place at the right time.... he must have got a excellent deal and he is worth it... I hope continues to well...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast