Thread: Western Force's Finals Hopes Dashed by a Point in Cape Town

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force's Finals Hopes Dashed by a Point in Cape Town

The Stormers ended the Western Force's slim semifinals ambition in a 25-24 victory in Super 14 rugby at Newlands on Saturday.

The Force needed a bonus-point win to keep their outside hopes alive into the last round of the regular season next week but they could claim only a point from finishing within seven of the Stormers.

The Stormers, long eliminated from the playoff race, could have secured victory by halftime but they bombed two tries and led only 15-7. The Force rallied ahead at 17-15 just after the hour, but Willem de Waal's second penalty in the 66th minute put the Stormers ahead for good.

"We just lacked energy tonight, right across the board," said Nathan Sharpe.

"Full credit to the Stormers, they played very well but we just made far too many mistakes to be competitive."

"This was by far our worst performance of the year,"

"It's just one loss and we're certainly not going to throw the season away but sometimes you need a performance like that to spark you into gear and hopefully that's a wake up call for us."

Stormers 25 (Joe Pietersen 2, Willem de Waal tries; De Waal 2 penalties, conversion, Peter Grant conversion), Western Force 24 (Matt Giteau 2, James O'Connor tries; Giteau 3 conversions, penalty). Half Time Score: 15-7.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I cannot believe it

vCash
    NOt sure how you spell it, but: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHH

vCash
    how the hell did we lose to them!? HOW!? im yet to see the game. this is really disappointing. but hey, there is always next year. keep the faith, go the Force!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    how the hell did we lose to them!? HOW!? im yet to see the game. this is really disappointing. but hey, there is always next year. keep the faith, go the Force!
    This wouldnt have helped:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2565620.htm

"Visiting coaching staff gave the assistant referees a tongue-lashing for not bringing the alleged obstruction of Force centre Ryan Cross by Dylan Des Fountain to the attention of South African referee Marius Jonker.

The incident occurred as Cross and his team-mates tried to prevent full-back Joe Pietersen crossing for a 71st-minute try that centre Peter Grant converted to give Stormers a 25-17 advantage."

but apparently

"Force skipper and Wallaby lock Nathan Sharpe made no reference to the incident in his post-match interview and conceded that a poor first-half performance had cost the Perth franchise dearly.

"We played very badly during the opening 40 minutes, but let us take nothing away from a good display by the Stormers. The team must now head home and prepare to face the Highlanders in our final match," he said."

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    outstanding effort for Gits to pick up 19 pints... The difference was the unfortunate loss of Shep and Brown... The Force played some great rugby this year....

vCash
    we were playing touch Rugby last night, forcing passes that didn't need to be thrown. J'OC solo effort in picking up the ball after Sharpe forced a pass that went to ground was quality.

Unfortunately I fell asleep just after half time, luckily I taped the game so will have to watch it

vCash
    Joe Pietersen was such a good player!!!
    far out!!!
    hes soooo fast!
    the stormers team was pretty good, thought they werent going to do well but now i guess we cant write them off

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    dammit!

to top the loss off. mum told me the score this morning before i had a chance to watch it!

if i wasnt halfway through cooking her breakfast i would have made her get it herself...

hopefully the boys can give me a good birthday present next week and win. just like last year over the brumbies

vCash
    Bloody yellow jersey! I haven't seen the game so I put the loss down to the fact they wore a yellow jersey for an away game, its a losing combination even if it is our away jersey.
    Glad we still have Brownie and Shep on our books next year, it seems they're an integral part of our winning side.

She'll be right, there's still next week to finish on a high.

vCash
    They lost because they were chasing the four tries from the outset without laying the platform. They tried to shift the ball from the first whistle, taking low percentage options which created chances for the Stormers who snapped them up gratefully. But they needed to get the 5 points and had some of those rash decisions came off or Bam's toes not touched the chalk we would be celebrating. Credit where it's due, they did play some simply spectacular rugby and only just missed the bikkies

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    We lost - it was our own doing - they tried we wanted they really really wanted - what we want now is a solid foundation for next year - no more messing around next year.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The Force played some great rugby this year....
    Except the Hurricanes game but that didn't make to much of an effect on this years ladder.

vCash
    it was funny when the stormers player stuffed up the grounding of the ball, what a clown ....haig sare was giving it to him in heaps...!