Thread: Brumbies forwards steam into contention

vCash

Thumbs up Brumbies forwards steam into contention

John-Paul Moloney, Canberra Times | May 4, 2009 - 2:33PM

There were four men aboard when the Benny Alexander Express finally came to a stop over the Queensland Reds' try line.

Three were hapless Queensland Reds defenders. The fourth was Peter Kimlin, and he was no passenger.

If a single moment in a Super 14 match can be an analogy for two players' Test hopes, ACT Brumbies loosehead prop Alexander's barging run on Saturday night with Kimlin hooked to his side, pumping his legs, was that moment.

The two Brumbies forwards are continuing their emergence from a place of near anonymity a year ago. They seem set to crash their way into Test action over the winter months with just as much force as they showed on Saturday night.

Alexander, who made his run-on debut for the Wallabies last year before he'd even started a match for the Brumbies, is threatening NSW Waratah Benn Robinson's Test incumbency with every strong performance.

And Kimlin, who won a place on last year's Wallabies spring tour but played only two minutes against the Barbarians, is forming his own very strong case for a major Test role this winter.

Since Mark Chisholm's season-ending hand injury on tour in South Africa, Kimlin has teamed up with Ben Hand in the second row and has grown in confidence.

On Saturday night he crossed for his third try of the year, taking a well-timed bullet pass from Patrick Phibbs close to the ruck to stroll through an embarrassingly weak Reds defence.

Kimlin admitted yesterday he had struggled with his own expectations at the start of the season. When forced into action as a starting player, he had rediscovered his form.

"I was a bit frustrated, coming back from the Wallabies tour expecting things when I probably shouldn't have," Kimlin said. "I've had to bide my time, but since Chiz was injured, God forbid, I've come on and done some good things for the team and hopefully I can continue that."

One of the quieter members of an understated but effective forward pack, Kimlin said he wasn't thinking where his Super 14 form might lead him.

"At the moment I'm not too worried about the exterior things, just the Brumbies and hopefully we make the finals," Kimlin said.

But teammate Adam Ashley-Cooper was less circumspect about the Test hopes of both Kimlin and Alexander.

"Benny A, he's a freak. Where'd he come from? If I can notice from the wing a prop playing so well, he must be doing something special," Ashley-Cooper said.

"I think [Kimlin and Alexander] are booming now. I've got no doubt Benny A will be starting Test rugby, he has to. And Kimmo, if he gets a chance he'll go through the roof."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...289088487.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ben Robinson for the Tahs is the best scrummager in Australian rugby. Alexanders go forward is absolutely awesome however. Isn't it great to at last have some world class props?

Can we play Fairbrother in the wallabies this year at tight head?

The planets are aligning for the wallaby 2011 RWC campaign

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Player
    vCash
    My only concern with fairbrother is that he has not had a lot of game time for the canes,and was easily released by nz,which could mean that they dont rate him.Otherwise they would try and keep him as they are also lacking good tightheads.

So Tim please prove the canes and the nzru wrong by making the best of your chances.On the plus side,dingo deans is keen to see you here.

Player
    vCash
    He was out injured the whole of last season I believe and so lost some momentum with regards to starting spot (ie it was pinched by Tialata in his absence), but I remember hearing a Kiwi commentator in one game remarking that he was very surprised Fairbrother wasn't starting.

vCash
    There was talk of Rocky being able to play for the Wallabies after playing club rugby in Oz, surely the same would apply for Tim.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Ben Robinson for the Tahs is the best scrummager in Australian rugby. Alexanders go forward is absolutely awesome however. Isn't it great to at last have some world class props?

Can we play Fairbrother in the wallabies this year at tight head?

The planets are aligning for the wallaby 2011 RWC campaign

Ben Alexander is a very good scrummager and a better all round player on the field than pocket prop Ben Robinson... He is also fitter and always makes it to the breakdown or in support play, he’s a try scoring machine… Shepherdson is a good chance of getting a Wallabies jersey and outing Baxter... But Deans did talk Baxter into staying in Australia so I wonder if he has promised him a jersey in the 22? It looks that way...

By the way... Fairbrother hasn't had much rugby this year with the Hurricanes...

The Brumbies had poor representation last year in the Wallabies I expect they’ll do better this year…

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Benny A, he's a freak. Where'd he come from? If I can notice from the wing a prop playing so well, he must be doing something special," Ashley-Cooper said.

Um, that would be the one year of the ARC, where the extra teams creating extra playing spots saw him picked out of second grade. No doubt he would have risen to the top though....eventually.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Coach with the amount of Brumbies Propaganda appearing on this site maybe you should change the site name to The Whole Force and a Bunch of Donkeys!!

Three threads on the Brumbies at once Muddy you are keen to instigate a riot aren’t you!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Coach with the amount of Brumbies Propaganda appearing on this site maybe you should change the site name to The Whole Force and a Bunch of Donkeys!!

Three threads on the Brumbies at once Muddy you are keen to instigate a riot aren’t you!!!
    No just posting rugby news... On all topics as well as the mighty wild horses...