Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheehan signs with the Force to chase starting role

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sheehan signs with the Force to chase starting role

Rupert Guinness | May 6, 2009

WARATAHS halfback Brett Sheehan has broken the run of player re-signings at NSW by committing to the Western Force for two years.

"It s a very tough decision, weighing up a lot of options, but at the end it seemed like the right choice from a football point of view," Sheehan said. "I still feel like I am a starting halfback. I think I have an opportunity to do that at the Force. It will be hard leaving NSW. I have played with the likes of Phil Waugh since I was 13 and I have some great mates here. [But] Luke Burgess is the future of this club, and I am open to a new experience and looking forward to that challenge."

Sheehan's switch to the Force, who are losing halfback Josh Valentine to the Brumbies, came as he was named on the NSW bench to play the Sharks on Saturday. The No.9 jersey has gone back to Burgess, who has been the reserve halfback for the past two games. His selection is one of two changes the back line.
    Rob Horne returns to the run-on side from a hamstring injury but has been named on the wing, not in the centres.

As expected Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has kept the combination of Daniel Halangahu, Kurtley Beale and Timana Tahu that showed so much promise against the Cheetahs. And Lachie Turner has once more been listed at fullback. Peter Playford returns to the bench and Matt Carraro slips out of the 22.

Lote Tuqiri (knee) and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau (ankle) were also named, despite being in doubt after NSW's 18-10 win over the Cheetahs.

Sam Norton-Knight was not considered and has yet to fully recover from the back spasm he sustained in the captain's run just before the Bloemfontein encounter.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...289173807.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well welcome aboard Brett, poor old O young to miss out again.

Player
    vCash
    softens the blow of valo leaving i suppose.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    A 2 year contract also - I'm not a fan of the 12 month contract...

vCash
    Should not be loosing Josh, but at least we are getting someone descent to replace. two years is good too.

Would have to think with Josh followings Gits now what are the chances of retaining JOC?

Champion
    vCash
    Something good about him, he was a brisbane bronco under wayne bennett.

Also maybe a committer. 2 years I like it.

heard he is coming over Cause he DOESN'T want to play with GITEAU (hehehe)

vCash
    From the press statements over the past few months it would apppear that Brett was the number one scrum half option for the Force and therefore I suspect Josh had to look elsewhere.

It is great to have a terrier like scrumhalf to back up Pockock and Brown, terriers themselves. I am exicited about next year already (Hopefully Brown now stays with a great prop and half back on board in the course of a week)

Unfortunately for Josh it looks like he could have a case of Deva ju with Holmes and Phibbs probaly with a bit of an inside rail to a starting berth.

Any way welcome aboard Brett anoth great signing!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    I couldn't be happier if Valentine was 2nd in line at the brumbies.. might not have the chance to play with GLORY BOY GITEAU

vCash
    great to see Sheehan with us. he is gutsy. i hope, though, that c o'y gets some decent time because he damn well deserves it.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Welcome Aboard the Force Express Brett.....

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    not a bad replacent, more time for CO'Y on the bench next season.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I couldn't be happier if Valentine was 2nd in line at the brumbies.. might not have the chance to play with GLORY BOY GITEAU
    yeh i tell u Josh is going to get ear full from me on the side line next week. EWF got him back on his feet now he is pissing off there is no loyality these days.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    great to see Sheehan with us. he is gutsy. i hope, though, that c o'y gets some decent time because he damn well deserves it.
    Professional rugby is hard aye minf u he still gets paid sitting on the bench. We have three great halfbacks with JT now we need someone to pass to.

vCash
    Brett Sheehan
    Brett Sheehan
    Position: Scrumhalf
    Physical: 173cm, 90kg
    Born: 16.09.79, Geraldton WA
    Club: Warringah
    Provincial Caps: 54 [QLD 5, NSW 49]
    Provincial Points: 5 [1t]
    Provincial Debut: 2005 v Bulls [Queensland]
    Super 12/14 Caps: 48 [Reds 4, Waratahs 44]
    Super 12/14 Points 5 [1t]
    Super 12/14 Debut: 2005 v Bulls [Reds]
    Test Caps: 3
    Test Points: 0
    Test Debut: 2006 v South Africa

Brett Sheehan’s strength and sheer will to win are the key characteristics which have taken him to the heights in Rugby, seeing him play four seasons at Super 14 level and establishing himself as member of the Wallaby squad in 2008.

Born in Geraldton, Western Australia on 16 September 1979 and schooled at St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill, Sheehan signed on to play Rugby League with the Brisbane Broncos after school. Thus began a four-year odyssey that saw him play for the Broncos, Northern Eagles and South Sydney.

Returning to Rugby with Warringah in 2004, Sheehan’s no-nonsense style has won him many admirers and after playing four matches for the Reds in 2005, he headed back to NSW and is lining up for his fourth season with the Waratahs.

Sheehan earned his 50th provincial cap in the HSBC Waratahs win over the Blues in Auckland in round 7 of the 2009 Super 14.

good to see a West Australian in the run on side

vCash
    Media never mentions he is a WA boy, how convenient.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I llike him as he is talented , experienced and has that angry shortarse chip which you need from the scrummie. JM will kick him fair in the coit and get him focused. If O'Young stays, then 2 quality9"s. Hope the wheel has turned for the Force, at long last!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast