Thread: Things starting to look up as Sheehan looks forward to run-on role

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Things starting to look up as Sheehan looks forward to run-on role

Rupert Guinness in Bloemfontein | May 1, 2009

THE 60-minute performance of Brett Sheehan in his return to the Waratahs' starting side against the Western Force two weeks ago was a rare high for NSW amid the angst of their one-point loss.

The halfback's passing was direct, he sniped well, his options were good and he provided the muscle needed for what Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said was the trademark arm wrestle in a rugby match before the last 20 minutes.

Now in his fifth season of Super rugby, the former rugby league player polled second behind Force winger Scott Staniforth as man of the match.

So when Hickey again named Sheehan, 29, as No.9 for the Waratahs' game against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Friday night (Saturday morning, Sydney time), he said it was on merit. It also proved that, while Luke Burgess is the Wallabies incumbent and very much valued by Hickey, the coach is unafraid of change.

He underlined that by making three back-line changes: naming Kurtley Beale at inside-centre, Peter Playford on the wing and Lachie Turner as fullback.

For Sheehan, also a member of the Wallabies spring tour last year as back-up to Burgess, his selection reassured him he still has much to offer Australian rugby.

"It's been a while since I have got two [selections] in a row starting," Sheehan said, referring to last year when he was the starting NSW halfback for the first seven rounds.

"I love being a starting player. It gives time to get into the game and work on facets of it that you usually don't get a chance to do when you come off the bench. Starting lets you settle.

"I loved [starting against the Force in round 10]. Everything felt right. The timing felt good with the passing and little runs. I am looking to doing better against the Cheetahs."

Sheehan is optimistic Beale's selection at No.12 as a second ball player to No.10 Daniel Halangahu will help his game and that of the team.

Sheehan sees the selection of two ball players as ideal, if only for their ability to run plays and be ready to do so within the split-second of a tackle that may rule one of them out.

"Daniel is going to be the main caller. So whatever he calls we will probably go with," Sheehan said. "Saying that, 'KB' can come in and take over when need be. There is no danger. Everyone knows their roles in the team, their position. KB knows that 'Hangas' is the five-eighth."

Sheehan was disappointed with the lack of game time he got on last year's Wallabies tour to Europe (one game against the Barbarians), but he said he had learned much from the experience. "It kind of spurs me on to continue playing good. I still feel I have a lot to offer rugby in Australia. I am always trying to improve myself in terms of playing," he said.

"It would have been awesome to get more game time, but learning off the way [Wallabies coach Robbie Deans] took sessions … there was a lot of ball work, and that was great."

The big question facing Sheehan now, though, is not so much his Wallabies future, but his fate in the Super 14. He has been negotiating with the Force and several French clubs.

A decision on Sheehan's future is imminent. That has been the case for weeks, but then, as he said, "something else pops up. It is a tough decision. I love it here at the Waratahs. Saying that, there are things I want to do overseas and play overseas.

"There are also talks with the Force. It's tough. One day I get close, then the next a different element comes.

"Hopefully, early next week I will be able to make a decision."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...982346309.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I am seriously tearing my hair out.

Josh Valentine.

That says it all. This young man came over here, after being behind this Sheenan guy and yes, I was a skeptic. I didn't have much belief in him and I was completely and utterly wrong. Josh has rung rings, I feel, around most of his opponents. A key, key factor to Giteau's sucess and will work with our next flyhalf I feel with just as much efficiency, possibly contributing more as our new flyhalf will probably rely on his support more than Giteau does. Josh has been amazing for our club this season and I will be absolutely heartbroken if we screw over another scrummie. Keep Josh please RWA. He'll be in the Wallabies squad without a doubt this year.

While Josh Valentine clearly states he wishes to continue his future at our club, that he wants to sort it out now and that he loves it here WHY are we going elsewhere? I'm really at a loss.

Have I missed something? I thought I'd been paying attention, but why do we need this guy suddenly?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    We don't, Josh needs to work on his passing a bit, but Sheehan does as well. I'd definately rate Josh ahead of Brett, the only possible advantage to Sheehan might just be a long term thing seing as he's originally a WA boy (But it didn't work for the flying Hyphen from the brumbies did it?)

C'mon the

vCash
    I think JV is a better option- As he settled in this form shot up. He should still improve more with a bit of stability. He could be good for another four or five years.

vCash
    I agree, I think Josh has done a great job this year, it would be great if we can get some consistancy and have him there a couple more years. How are we to build on momentum if there are continually changes to key positions?

vCash
    I agree with you all its Josh for me, dont fix whats not broke.

vCash
    RWA - Josh Valentine. Please.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    yeh good on you Sheehan, a great WA boy, but we have josh valentine now and he is doing a superb job for us, and it'd be even more unfair for poor C O'Y and Justin Turner..

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force