Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force pulls out all stops to keep James O'Connor

vCash

Western Force pulls out all stops to keep James O'Connor

THE Western Force yesterday enacted phase one of its master plan to retain teenage sensation James O'Connor by offering halfback Josh Valentine a new contract.

Phase two sounds even more exciting because it involves arguably the world's greatest rugby player, Dan Carter.

But before Force fans rush jubilantly into the streets of Perth to celebrate, it should be stressed the club is not attempting to recruit the All Blacks five-eighth.

Rather, the Force is closely monitoring which province Carter joins on his return from his rugby sabbatical with the French in Perpignan.

Almost certainly he will link again with the Crusaders -- in which case the Perth club would check out the availability of his understudy, Stephen Brett -- but in the event of Carter opting to follow his girlfriend, NZ hockey player Honor Dillon, to Auckland, the two players currently sharing the duties at 10 for the Blues, Jimmy Gopperth and Tasesa Lavea, would come on to the radar.

"It depends on what Carter does, but whichever province he joins he might push another good player out," Force high performance manager Mitch Hardy said.

Although rumours persist that O'Connor is poised to follow Matt Giteau to Canberra -- rumours that Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan denied yesterday -- Force officials are working overtime to retain him.

Now Drew Mitchell has confirmed he will play for the Waratahs next season, O'Connor, 18, has been offered his choice of either fullback or inside centre in 2010, but he is making no decisions, either on the position or the club, until the end of the Super 14 games to give the Force time to lock in a stellar replacement for Giteau at five-eighth.

The club has made approaches to some of the highest-profile five-eighths in world rugby in recent weeks, all to no avail.

Leicester-based Springboks number 10 Derick Hougaard knocked it back, as did All Blacks playmaker Nick Evans, now playing with Harlequins, while dual US World Cup five-eighth Mike Hercus -- now playing with the Sunshine Coast Stingrays in the QRU's Premier Rugby competition -- and Australian-born former Scotland five-eighth Dan Parks, dropped by Glasgow this week after he was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving, were considered but rejected.

Perhaps the most intriguing approach has been to former All Blacks maestro Carlos Spencer, 33, who announced this month he was only committed to Gloucester until the end of the British season -- despite the club announcing inFebruary he had signed on for 17months.

As far as Spencer is concerned, however, the deal was for five months only. "I've said to Gloucester, 'I just want to finish up the five months and see where it takes me'," Spencer told the British media recently. "I've got no plans. We'll just have to see what happens."

Although Spencer said his wife was "nagging" him every day that she wants to go home to New Zealand, the 35-Test veteran insists he is happy "cruising along".

Certainly, if he were to join the Western Force it would speak volumes for coach John Mitchell, because if there is one person Mitchell could blame for not getting the All Blacks coaching job it would be Spencer.

It was Spencer who threw the long pass that Stirling Mortlock intercepted to race away for the match-turning try in the 2003 World Cup semi-final against the Wallabies. The 22-10 defeat the All Blacks sustained that night sealed Mitchell's fate.

The offer of a one-year contract extension to Valentine is a deserved reward to the former Wallabies number nine after he outplayed all his rivals in the three Australian derbies this season.

But with the Force intent on reassuring O'Connor that he will have quality players inside him, Valentine will need to snap up the offer quickly or the club will refocus itsefforts on recruiting NSW halfback Brett Sheehan.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Western Force pulls out all stops to keep James O'Connor
    Wayne Smith | April 30, 2009
    The Australian

Certainly, if he were to join the Western Force it would speak volumes for coach John Mitchell, because if there is one person Mitchell could blame for not getting the All Blacks coaching job it would be Spencer.
    Let you in on a secret. He had the job, Wayne. That pass possibly lost it. But we know what you mean.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    The offer of a one-year contract extension to Valentine is a deserved reward.......
    Why only one year??.........deserved reward would imply more surely?

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Now Drew Mitchell has confirmed he will play for the Waratahs next season, O'Connor, 18, has been offered his choice of either fullback or inside centre in 2010
    Wonder what Cam Shepherd thinks of this??

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Shep always looks happy with the 11 on his back.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Champion
    vCash
    But no player should be promised a position, they should have to earn it. I still think Cam's best postion is fullback as far as Wallaby selection is concerned

vCash
    I think Sheps isnt bothered by where he plays. Even on the wing, he could show his great skills. And his try count this year is a great bonus of playing on the wing. I'd think JOC would choose to be 12 next year, as he looks very comfortable there and already looking at him play 12 this year, he's been doing wonders there.

vCash
    Couldn't agree more Perthgirl.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I think Sheps isnt bothered by where he plays. Even on the wing, he could show his great skills. And his try count this year is a great bonus of playing on the wing. I'd think JOC would choose to be 12 next year, as he looks very comfortable there and already looking at him play 12 this year, he's been doing wonders there.
    But Deans wants him at 15 doesn't he?

Plus I think Barnes has 12 tatooed on his back for many years to come.

vCash
    I have to say, when i saw the name Dan Carter, I was pretty much stoked on having him. It'd be like a 'sucked in' to Matt Giteau. Give me DC anyday.

But I doubt Stephen Brett would want to play here, because he's still young and trying for a position in the All Blacks. Playing here won't help his selection availability, though his form this year hasn't been the best.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Agreed tic. I think Sheps will get the headstart at 15 over JOC. But JOC would want to be at a position where he can get more ball and more experience in. Currently at 12 for the force, he has been given a fair share of the ball and actually controls the plays quite a bit. I think throughout the season, its helped him develop as a player and gain more valuable experience. Playing at 12 for a couple more years might do him some good.

I don't think JOC is going to cement a spot down in the wallabies this year or even next year. I think Deans is going to use him as an impact bench player who can play various positions. Plus Barnes isn't the most injury free player, so JOC might get a good chance at 12 at some point during the season.

vCash
    What annoys me most about this story is the speculation. Find out some facts and report them, dont make up the most interesting sounding story and print it. Its bollocks and provides no 'news' to anyone. Of course the Force are going to pull out all stops, why wouldn't we?!

Anyway....

Sheps has been doing phenominally well at 11 but I think he still prefers 15, its just that his ankle isn't quite up to the kicking that comes with being a 15.
    JO'C is a great 12 and he played well at 15 but he hasn't got much of a Wallabies future at 12 (unless Barnes gets injured again) and if his goal is to continue in the green and gold, 15 is his only long-term option really. Sucks for Sheps but thats sport, if he performs better than JO'C he will be rewarded for it. Its better for us to have more players capable of the position than not enough!

Valentine being offered a one-year extension is a slap in the face! He's being doing so well as our scrummy and he's said how keen he is to stay and play for us. I really hope they offer him more than that before he signs.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Unless of course Valentine only wants a one year extension!! Can any one guess when either Holmes or Phibbs come out of contracts at the Brumbies, is it as I believe and that is next year!!!! If so that will allow Valentine to play rugby for us this year and then negotiate a deal with the Brumbies next year to take him into the world cup playing with Giteau who was one of the major reason he cited as coming across here in the first place. Obviously I am very cynical in my thinking!!

I reckon after reading a few speculative rugby contract stories maybe I should apply for a job at SMH and just quote Unnamed Sauces close to him (I live in the same city) believe this to be true!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I think we have to remember that JOC is only 18. He is not going to nail down a starting position in the wallabies for a while. He looks to be developing as a fantastic 12 and a future 10. If he keeps developing as he has this year - he will be the best 12 in the country by the end of next season - so does not matter if Barnes is still around JOC will get the gig. - don't see him as a long term prospect at 15 - I think Deans was just playing him there last year due to his youth.

Jasper

vCash
    Wow - big call, writing off Barnes within 12 months.

My 2 cents - Shepherd is a no.15 - superb if he can stay injury free. Best in Oz frankly.

If JOC stays at the Force then No.12 is his best option. In reality however, he wouldn't unseat Barnes who is getting better and better (view the Reds v. Blues tape if you have any doubt - even though he played most of the game at no.10).

BUT..... JOC would/should get plenty of bench action until RWC 2011 if he maintains form (remembering that he is still a baby and consistent form is yet to be proved). By that time, Gits will probably head off overseas, Berrick will play 10 and JOC at 12.

Problem solved. Ding. Next....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Inclined to agree...there are any number of players have started well, but the second year tells the tale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Unless of course Valentine only wants a one year extension!! Can any one guess when either Holmes or Phibbs come out of contracts at the Brumbies, is it as I believe and that is next year!!!! If so that will allow Valentine to play rugby for us this year and then negotiate a deal with the Brumbies next year to take him into the world cup playing with Giteau who was one of the major reason he cited as coming across here in the first place. Obviously I am very cynical in my thinking!!

I reckon after reading a few speculative rugby contract stories maybe I should apply for a job at SMH and just quote Unnamed Sauces close to him (I live in the same city) believe this to be true!!
    Then i'm a cynic too as I'm inclined to agree with you. Particularly in relation to him only wanting a one year contract. Though I would be inclined to think it may just because if he continues to play as is, he'll be worth a whole lot more money the following year which may enable him to negotiate a better contract elsewhere and be in a position to usurp scrummies in other teams. If he went now, he'd be playing second fiddle again.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    lock valo in until RWC. BUILD a team, not just a side for a year dammit!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast