Thread: McISAAC WANTS TO FINISH ON HIGH

vCash

McISAAC WANTS TO FINISH ON HIGH

Emirates Western Force hooker Tai McIsaac is the only player for the team to play all 50 of its Investec Super 14 matches and he desperately wants to finish his career with a finals appearance.

The Force will play their 50th match in the Super 14 competition this Saturday night against the Bulls in Pretoria and must win that, and the following two games against the Stormers and Highlanders, to be a chance of making the top-four for the first time.

At 34, McIsaac will leave the Force at season's end to take up a coaching role in Japan and would love nothing more than to finish on a high with finals action.

"I'm really enjoying this year knowing that it's my last so I have enjoyed every week. I'm just looking forward to the next few weeks and hoping the team get to where we need to be," McIsaac said.

"Playing a final would be everything to me and that's what you play for. The next three weeks are vitally important for us to make it, and if we do it will be a great way to finish."

While playing the second-placed Bulls at Loftus Versfield is intimidating for many visiting teams, the Force won their only match there in 2007 and have won five from eight games in South Africa, so McIsaac is confident of coming away victorious.

"We bond as a team when we are away and enjoy each other's company, so that is part of why we do well away," he said.

"All the boys are very positive and confident at this stage, but they are sensible enough to focus on a week by week basis because we know the Bulls are right up there and it's a big game. It's one of the biggest challenges because they are very strong at home, have a vocal crowd behind them and it's always hard to play at Loftus."

The Force's scrum is also in great form and McIsaac is backing it in against the big Bulls frontrow.

"At the moment, the boys are working well as a unit and have grown in confidence the last few weeks," he said.

"That will certainly help this week because the Bulls have a massive pack and we are looking forward to the challenge."

McIsaac was a late comer to rugby and believes that has helped him stay healthy later in his career, and he feels the time is now right to retire before anything turns sour.

"As a frontrower, it's helped that I haven’t had a lot of injuries at my age and because I started quite late. The young frontrowers tend to gain a lot of injures in scrimmaging, so I avoided that," he said.

"I'm not too sure I've had a secret, but age is probably the thing that's got me there. At my age, you have to prepare a little better than the young blokes. I've been fairly lucky with injuries as well and have only had a couple of niggling type things to deal with.

"I want to make sure I retire before things do start going wrong and I start suffering some injuries. I feel that you might as well give something up while you still enjoy it, and that's the case with me this year."

Coaching is something that McIsaac has only recently considered but he's excited about his new career path and as forwards coach in Japan, will plenty from what he has learned plenty from his Force boss John Mitchell.

"Initially I didn’t think I'd be a coach, but I have a teaching background and that held me in good stead to move into coaching," he said.

"I'm going to coach up in Japan and hopefully will carve out a career for myself. I'll start with the Honda Heat team in Suzuka and I'm looking forward to what that holds. I'll be the forwards coach and see what happens from there."

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55560.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    What an example of a genuinely nice guy and awesome representative player for the Force, I wish him the best of luck for his future.

I hope his 50th goes according to plan and I especially hope that he can rack up 54 caps!!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Player
    vCash
    Tai you're a true ledgend and genuine nice guy good luck for the future,50+ games in a row for the force will be hard to beat.

vCash
    Loved your work Tai...wish you could stay....
    I have to ask questions however...in your interview for FOX you embelished on the first 2 years being so good, and you were made to feel at home, and the support you received, etc etc...what happened to the last 2 years..did you not receive support, made to feel at home etc..or were you just regarded as being "home" and you were a senior player so therefore didn't need support, you gave it...???

All the very best for your new adventure...and I believe you will finish with the Force on a huge high...I have faith..

The Quiet Achiever..who gets the job done...

Last edited by hertryk; 29-04-09 at 15:42. Reason: Addition

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    An outstanding effort Tai
    This is certainly one player that can leave with his head held high as a true servant to our fledgling Club.
    He has held his own with young Props against some of the best Frontrows in World Rugby with barely any recognition over the last 49 matches, while not always coming out on top certainly always competitive.
    Here's to 3-5 more for the Force

Last edited by Burgs; 29-04-09 at 15:54.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'll always remember the "waterpolo pass" It says it all about the Taipan really! He's capable in the tough stuff, but exceptional in the finesse department!

C'mon the

vCash
    Tai is one of the most genuine blokes ever. was on the Rugby club last week, he is hilarious, a great player and a fantastic ambassador for WA and WA rugby. all the best with getting to the finals! and all the best in Japan!

Last edited by force addict; 29-04-09 at 17:25.
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Taipan may wish to end on a high - but to be honest there is very little that could change our opinion of a truly great sportsman and human - except perhaps appearing on the coaching staff of the tahs - certainly hope to see him back at the one day.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Yes Taipan you have the respect of us all

vCash
    He's going to be a forwards coach in Japan. He can come back and help our forwards any time he likes.

Champion
    vCash
    I think he is a bit of an unsung hero for the Force. Congrats Tai, have a great game. Perhaps he'll come back to the Force in a coaching capacity in the future