Thread: Former Canadian International Rugby Union player..

vCash

Former Canadian International Rugby Union player..

Swans like Mike Pyke
    By Tim Morrissey
    August 14, 2008.

MEET Mike Pyke, the 24-year-old Canadian international rugby union player who is determined to force his way into the Sydney Swans AFL team.

As implausible as it sounds, the athletic 200cm full-back impressed the Swans enough during a secret two-week trial last month they offered him a two-year rookie contract.

The Canadian, who has been immortalised on YouTube for his amazing 80-metre intercept try against New Zealand in a lead-up match to the 2007 World Cup, decided to give footy a go after an Aussie mate told him he would be a natural.

After an injury-interrupted season at French rugby club Montauban, Pyke put together a DVD showcasing his rugby highlights and sent it to AFL player agent Michael Quinlan,
    who also has the Swans' Irish pair Tadhg Kennelly and Brendan Murphy on his books.

"My initial thoughts when I got an email out of the blue from Mike telling me he wants to switch codes was, 'Is this a joke, am I being had?," Quinlan said.

"But after talking to Mike on the phone I quickly realised he was serious and after what Tadhg has achieved and with Brendan coming along, I know anything is possible."

Sydney coach Paul Roos admits it's a gamble signing a rookie at his age with no Australian football experience, but one worth taking given Pyke's athleticism and size, which are suited to a ruck role.

"He knows it's an experiment and we are prepared to take the risk because he is such a good athlete," Roos said.

"The question is can he change to a different code he's never played and can he adapt to the skills.

"One thing that stood out was his marking when we bombed the ball up. He's got some work to do on his handballing but his kicking is adequate ... he's just got to adjust his technique."

Pyke has memories of watching Australian football in Canada as a kid.

"In Canada, everyone knows what Aussie rules is but they don't know much about it," Pyke said.

"They know it involves kicking and catching, but everyone thinks it's just one big punch-up. When you are younger everyone tells you there are no rules in Aussie rules and that's what makes it so good."

Pyke knows the odds of making it are stacked against him but he's determined to be playing senior football in two years, if not sooner.

That's why he's prepared to stay in Sydney during the AFL off-season and over the Christmas break working on improving his skills.

"I'm happy with the progress I'm making. In the back of my mind I have a goal of towards the end of next season to be in the same situation some of the rookies are now and making their senior debuts," Pyke said.

"Maybe that's a bit far-fetched, but if I get enough games in the reserves, by the end of the season maybe I could debut off the bench. It also depends on how my ruck work goes because it doesn't matter how well it goes with the coaches in practice, I have to prove myself in a game."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thats just Freaky! Why? I guess it makes a change from Japan or Europe...

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Mike Pyke to make his debut for Swans on sunday...

Canadian Pyke to make his 'crazy game' debut
    Richard Hinds | May 1, 2009

WHEN Mike Pyke told his mother that he was moving from France to Australia to further his football career, she was not totally surprised. The Canadian rugby international had played in Edinburgh for two years before joining French club side US Montauban, and so the move to Sydney did not seem unusual.

"I knew there were two types of rugby in Australia, league and union," said Christine Peterson who lives in Victoria, British Columbia. "I just thought he was going there to play one or the other. I really didn't think much about this crazy game you have."

The crazy game is Australian football and, at the SCG on Sunday, Mike Pyke will become one of its most exotic debutants. About 10 months after a friend who was working in Melbourne sent an email to an agent saying he knew someone "who might be pretty good", Pyke will pinch-hit in the ruck for Sydney against Richmond.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfn...982346036.html

coz Stone Cold says so