Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force v Bulls, Saturday 25/03/06

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force v Bulls, Saturday 25/03/06

Western Force v Bulls, Saturday 25/03/06

Some interesting selections coming through this week.
    With injuries last week to Fava and Daruda and a dose of gastro for Cannon, we see the return of Hardy to the Loosehead and McIsaac moves to Hooker.
    Welborn has maintained his starting role and quite interestingly, one of our best so far this season, David Pusey replaces on the bench Doherty coming back from an ankle to the Blindside.
    O'Connor's impressive debut last week has seen him retain his position in the 22 with the return of Captain Sharpe to the starting 15.
    A major move is the testing of Hilgendorf at 5/8 which had been discussed during the week as a possibility. This will certainly involve him far more but hopefully it doesn't stifle the spark he has been bringing to the team from Fullback.
    This move sees Cameron Shepherd slide back to his favoured position following his return from Commonwealth Games duties.
    Sare also continues to retain his position in a dream season for an Apprentice.
    David Te Moana is set to miss his first match for the season after showing fantastic future potential on either side of the front row.
    Angus Scott will make his Force bench debut, bringing with him a wealth of knowledge from the Eastern States and some considerable bulk to fill the divot left by Te Moana!
    A great effort by Richard Brown over the last few games sees him as the preferred Number 8 again this week.
    There is still some doubt as to the reserve 5/8 which may not be known until Saturday afternoon as Daruda recovers from last week.
    Depending on Cannon's cannon, we may see yet another debut by the promising Luke Holmes who paid his dues for Warringah in the Sydney comp.
    And a welcome inclusion to the bench of Gavin De Bartolo will see yet another of our outside back young bucks blooded at the Super Rugby level.
    By my reckoning, after this weekend, there will be only nine players from the extended squad that hasn't worn the jersey in an official Super 14 fixture which is a fantastic development for the future.
    In all this is still a reasonable squad which should continue with the heart of the first five matches.
    Best wishes fellas, keep up the good fight, the results will come.
    GO FORCE!!!

The squad (to be finalised) is:
    1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Tai McIsaac
    3. David Fitter
    4. John Welborn
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Luke Doherty
    7. Matt Hodgson
    8. Richard Brown
    9. Matt Henjak
    10. James Hilgendorf
    11. Digby Ioane
    12. Scott Staniforth
    13. Josh Graham
    14. Haig Sare
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Brendan Cannon (Luke Holmes)
    17. Angus Scott
    18. Pat O’Connor
    19. David Pusey
    20. Chris O’Young
    21. Scott Daruda (Brock James)
    22. Gavin DeBartolo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Force can win this game, as the Bulls don't travel well, and are still riled by their TMO loss last weekend to the 'Canes, who monstered them in the forwards and backs.
    Just keep it simple guys.
    Catch the passes, keep possession/momentum/composure, and kick way over the sideline for touch!

I like the new number 10 move.
    Quality write up of team sheet Burgs!

Last edited by MysticBalls; 24-03-06 at 04:21.

vCash
    Quite a reshuffle in the pack. I suppose some of the selections are "horses for courses" but Canon and Pusey have both had a virus this week IIRC. Any thoughts/reasons on Te Moana not making the 22? Maybe lost some weight like Bill Young? Apparently Hardy has been doing strength work for a few weeks. He'll need it.

This will be the pigs' biggest test yet. Probably only the Crusaders pack are their equal IMHO. The Bulls really rely on the set piece (why wouldn't they with Matfield and Botha running the show) and Hougaard's kicking game. If our boys don't stand up it could get ugly.

Fingers crossed and greatly looking forward to the contest. I've been most happy with our pack so far. If they pass this test there can only be light at the end of our tunnel

vCash
    As long as there isn't a 80m try by Bryan Habana it will be a good night haha
    But I seriously believe there is a slight chance for the force, just need to clean up their game and think about their kicks...not just kicking for the hell of it cough Hilgendorf cough. But most of all they need to make sure their passes stick and don't drop easy balls.
    Come on boys put some tries on the board, reward the 20000 + committed members.

vCash
    As long as there isn't a 80m try by Bryan Habana it will be a good night haha
    Heh.. or two of them...

Ball security... That seems to be the biggest flaw for the Force at the moment.

Prospect
    vCash
    The don't look to bad tonight, confidence is high, Iwould not be suprised to see them steal the points tonight.

vCash
    So proud of you guys! Three tries in the second half to come right back at the Bulls. You earnt their respect in the forwards when they went for the easy penalty goal rather than the scrum win for a try.

Hilgendorf brilliant at 5/8, backline clicked. ( Great call Shasta on 18thMar- good reporting on radio stations too and good e-mail 'serves' fellas)

Depth is beginning to happen on bench. Every new debutante is a plus for Oz Rugby's 4th team.

The Bulls game has been a major step up. The team has found its feet and self belief, and Sharpie can smell that first victory. Did you see Cannon exhorting the forwards for that try from the scrum set 5m out!

Kicking far more effective, great passing rushes. Shephard solid at no. 15. Crowd got as fed up with ref and touchies as I did. Rugby is alive in WA. Force have forced the issue.

vCash
    Was a great performance by the Force....second half in particular.
    Nothing to be ashamed of at all as the Bulls tries were typical South African tries (intercepts, rolling mauls).
    Bring on the stormers next weekend I think we can definately salvage a win...I've tipped it and hopefully going by my weekends tipping results (100%), I am right.

vCash

Thumbs up Saturday night at Subi

Go the Force
    I sat in that crowd last night and wore my blue jersey with pride.
    I think the bulls were rattled by the class of the forces backline once the boys got the ball with NO help from Matt Henjack they provide the crowd with some orsome running rugby. Hilgendorf played a great game and controlled the hungry backs with great composure.
    I think that Chris O' Young needs to start a game and put Henjack on the bench.
    Digby and Cam Shephard both played a great role with Hilgendorf and Staniforth he ran around to give a extra man and they also supprted well.
    Not to take anything away from the loose forwards they also played well and I am sorry to have to say this but I do not feel Henjack is the right man for the job at the moment he has to concentrate on the game.
    I have been to a few rugby game in my time but the atmospere in the subi ground when the foce hit the line is deafening there is pride and passion in the fans
    The force is a team that will bring the bacon home and when they do boy what a party

vCash
    Well what about our forwards last night! Did they pass the test or what? It's what you'd expect from John Mitchell but we seem to have some real depth up front. They've been at least the equal of anyone they've faced so far. Winning the scrum feed from that line-out/maul on our goal-line in the first half was just MAGIC

John Welborne: you're fit enough for one more season off the bench when Vedelago returns.

Hilgandorf: what can I say. We finally saw some cohesion in the backs. Still a little erratic but there's hope now. Next year when Lachie, Junior and Co return we'll be getting some real depth here as well.

Shepherd: pretty obvious who's our 1st choice at 15 now, eh?

Henjak: sadly only good in patches. Even sadder the bad patches cost us. He's a class player no doubt, but he's out of form and showing a bit too much lair for an out-of-form player for mine. Giteau used to do that red/white shit in the hair last year - but he was on fire!

O'Young: deserves a shot. We were already on the front foot when he came into the game but he gave crisp accurate service and he looked comfortable. He didn't come west just to get some Jarrah splinters in his arse to go with the Ironwood.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    mowerman, i think your being a little harsh on Henjack. Sure he is know Nick Farr-Jones. But I thought he had a very solid game last night. His box kick over the top in the first half was damn near perfect. Sure he threw an intercept pass, but who hasnt?

In my opinion Henjacks game last night was the best he has played this season. I cant seeing him being dropped to the bench for that. Tho you may get your wish. Foxsports showed him limping from the field when O'Young replaced him.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Just so proud of the boys, almost feels like a victory. Bring on the Stormers.

They deserved their lap of honour last night.

Henjak's attitude pisses me off but I reckon he deserved his place last night. Some loose passes but a vast improvement on his previous performance.

It staggers me how John Mitchel has managed to produce a team with apparent depth against all odds.

Well done to John and the boys.

And to the detractors

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I saw Richard Brown run the ball many a time but surely there must be a question mark over his size??
    If you take a look at Brown in comparison to Fava, Lauauki, Lyons, Roe, Rodney Sooialo.....he is tiny!
    His runs were completely ineffective I felt, lost ground mostly every hit-up.
    Get into the gym more mate!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Haven't seen the match as yet but all of the above sounds pretty encouraging!
    Sounds as if we may have finally found the playmaker pairing in Hilgendorf and Staniforth?
    Fantastic that from most reports we gave a great showing in the forwards however I have read little on how our lineouts went, especially with Pusey on the bench?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    lineouts went something like this ...

forwards were pretty much as solid this week as in previous. wish spanky'd get that torrent up! I'm looking forward to watching the game from a better angle

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast