Thread: Brumbies send an SOS to former Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham

vCash

Post Brumbies send an SOS to former Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham

By Bret Harris
    April 24, 2009

The Brumbies' backline stocks are so low they approached former Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham to make a comeback as they continue their brave bid for a place in the play-offs.

Coach Andy Friend asked Larkham, who is in Canberra during the Japanese off-season, if he would sit on the reserves bench for three weeks until inside back Gene Fairbanks and fullback Mark Gerrard returned from injury.

Larkham was keen to pull on the Brumbies jersey once again, while Todd Louden, the Australian coach of his Japanese team, Ricoh, agreed to him playing.

But Ricoh indicated it would take three to four weeks to complete the necessary paperwork, which would effectively knock the idea on the head.

"Ricoh's administration said they were open to the idea, but they couldn't tick all the boxes in terms of legal and insurance so they declared it was not viable," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"We wanted Steve to provide coverage at 10 over the next few weeks. Steve was happy to put his hand up and help the team, but it was not an easy process."

Rookie five-eighth Matt Toomua, 19, will start for the Brumbies in the crucial playmaking position against the Hurricanes following injuries to Christian Lealiifano and Fairbanks.

The Brumbies are down to their last contracted backs for the Hurricanes game with third-string halfback James Stannard sitting on the bench as the back-up number 10. On the positive side, Alfi Mafi has returned from a groin strain to start on the left wing against the Hurricanes.

The Brumbies are in seventh position on the table with 27 points, only two behind the fourth-placed Hurricanes.

The Cake Tin is an intimidating venue and Toomua will be under tremendous pressure in his run-on debut.

"You can't deny that, but you've just got to focus on the things that you can control and from there hopefully a good performance will come, but it's all about controlling the controllables and that's what I'll be focusing on," Toomua said.

"Ever since I signed with the Brums I've dreamed about this moment. I've always wanted to wear that number 10.

"It's a dream come true, but I've got to focus on the little things and what I can control and get out there and hopefully we'll get the win against the Hurricanes."

Adding a touch of poignancy to the moment, Toomua will wear the No.10 jersey only three weeks after the death of his close friend, Brumbies forward Shawn Mackay, who he lived with in Canberra.

"The team's character has been tested a lot this year with close wins and what happened with Shawn," Toomua said.

"This is just another step that we have to overcome. Another hurdle. If the start of the season is anything to go by, I'm sure we'll come through it again."

Toomua expects to be targeted by the Hurricanes in defence.

"At 10 you have to make a lot of tackles and I'm sure being my first game they are going to see that as an area to attack," Toomua said.

"I just have to expect that and I've got to be up for it. I've got a lot of good guys around me who are going to help me out."

Meanwhile, the Brumbies are confident of finalising talks with several players, including George and Tyrone Smith, Salesi Ma'afu, Guy Shepherdson and Peter Kimlin over the next week or so.

The Brumbies are also awaiting an answer from Force back James O'Connor, but he is not expected to make a decision on his future until after the Super 14 series.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    #10 Gits
    #12 Tyrone
    Will be an interesting combination next year if they retain T.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Gee things are grim in Brumbyland!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    ^^^ Yeah, poor bastards - my heart bleeds for them.

Champion
    vCash
    I've heard that they want Giteau to be back in the centers with Leaefino.

9 - Holmes
    10 - Lee Lee
    11 - Rathbone
    12 - Giteau
    13 - Mortlock
    14 - ****
    15 - AAC

If they are hoping for "More Tap than a chemist" Larkham and then JOC, where are these two players going to fit into the team.

Next they be saying, not where's wally but "where gregan" and following that Rod Kafer,

It will be like over 35s rugby and playing rugby "TAG" when teams play against the brumbies.