Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Test caps key to O'Connor move

vCash

Post Test caps key to O'Connor move

By Iain Payten April 24, 2009 12:00am

TEENAGE Force star James O'Connor will make a decision on his future based on where he'll get the most caps - not the most cash.

So says the 18-year-old's father Warren O'Connor, who says James is weighing up life as a Force playmaker and a Brumbies role player, in terms of which will help him play Tests for the Wallabies.

O'Connor is the No. 1 priority signing for the Force to stem their exodus of Test talent, which began with Matt Giteau and continues today with Drew Mitchell.

The Force have a fight on their hands for O'Connor, who is being chased hard by the Brumbies.

Though there is now extra money freed up in third party sponsors in Perth, Warren O'Connor said that would not matter.

"It comes down to a long-term rugby decision," he said. "What is going to be best for him, as opposed to just a money decision."

The Brumbies are selling the Giteau factor to O'Connor and CEO Andrew Fagan has assured O'Connor he will have the No. 15 jersey in 2010.

"It is a good opportunity for James to be part of the Wallabies set-up regularly," Fagan said.

Warren O'Connor said the choice was being "thrown in at the deep end" as a playmaker with the Force or being groomed in a position elsewhere.

"Robbie Deans is talking about grooming him as the Wallabies 15," he said. "Where would that best happen? Does he go to another franchise? If you are the national coach and you have Giteau at 10 and James at 15 for the Brumbies, do you look at that and say, 'Hey, that's a pretty good combination'?"

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    that doesn't sound too good does it... Also, i don't think that who you play for is really going to matter. If your good your going to get a selection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Warren O'Connor said the choice was being "thrown in at the deep end" as a playmaker with the Force or being groomed in a position elsewhere.

"Robbie Deans is talking about grooming him as the Wallabies 15," he said. "Where would that best happen? Does he go to another franchise? If you are the national coach and you have Giteau at 10 and James at 15 for the Brumbies, do you look at that and say, 'Hey, that's a pretty good combination'?"
    not good.

vCash
    I thought we were chasing someone for the 10 jersey so that JO'C isn't thrown in at the deep end?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I thought we were chasing someone for the 10 jersey so that JO'C isn't thrown in at the deep end?

Me too. Problem is nobody seems to want to sign. Whatever, there are only so many places on Aussie rosters. We'll be OK. Bit of a shame to have to rebuild when they were just getting started, though.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Out of interest does James O’Connor have a manager or is it his father Warren? He must have someone behind the scenes providing professional and insightful guidance...

Today is the First time I've read that Brumbies CEO Fagan has offered JOC the fullback starting spot at the Brumbies. And on the day that Mark Gerrard announces he has signed with a Japanese club...likely for 2 years…

Reads like the race for JOC signature is about to intensify…

vCash
    It's time to develop our own players..........and raid South Africa. We love South Africans in the west. The women are sensational. The blokes are rugby and BBQ fanatics. Lets waive visa's for South Africans. It makes sense.

Rex for PM

Controversy corner

vCash
    Where better to become a Wallaby back than by playing for the ?

We have consistently shown courage and good judgment in developing players to international standard with players that previously were unwanted coming to the force and then getting a wallaby cap.

Which other team can boast an 'all wallaby backline'?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post

Which other team can boast an 'all wallaby backline'?
    I'm predicting you'll get an answer to that before long.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    would that be the only team that has NO yellow cards and are aussie triple crown holders?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that Warrn is James' manager, that means the comments about being thrown in the deep end at the force are worrying......I don't understand though when John Mitchell seems to be the only person who has been concerned about not overloading the guy.....even to say he's the starting #15 is more pressure than what Mitch has been saying (pretty much that he'll get game time when it's right for him, and he'll move around as he needs)

Warrne O'Connor needs to have a big talk with Mitch and get on the right page as to how the Force are going to manage the development of his son.

But if he goes, he goes!

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I've never seriously expected O'Connor to stay... It'd be nice, but he's still a kid and will do what his Dad says. Add in that his idol Giteau is at Brumbies and it seems pretty much like a done deal. But does he want to play full back?

vCash
    Warren seems to have very quickly forgotten that when his son joined the Force he said quite loudly that the Reds, Brumbies, Tahs and a bunch of NRL teams all told him James was too small to ever be a professional player.

Mitch was the only one who was prepared to take him on.

Where is the love?

vCash
    It would be great to retain him, but the words of his father are ominous. I would have hoped that he would show some loyalty to the team that provided him the opportunity to become a Wallaby, but perhaps that is asking too much.

vCash
    The Force need to starting signing new players... sending the message to the ones waiting to re-sign to who they will be playing alongside in 2010-11...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast