Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Test caps key to O'Connor move

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I think Ella is also referring to Kurtley Beale being rushed in last year and it didn't help his overall development but was just a last chance for Link to save his job...

But to be fair Mitchell has looked out for JAmes O'Connor and hasn't lined him up directly against larger backs at 12...
    So you reckon than Nonu isn't a 'larger back'?!?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Or become copycat p1ss takers with avatars of Won Casey

Copy cat piss taking and avatar swapping is OK, Rex. It's the multiple account piss takers that are a bit suss.

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    But to be fair Mitchell has looked out for JAmes O'Connor and hasn't lined him up directly against larger backs at 12...
    I noticed at least a couple of times during the Lions game that O'Connor dropped back to FB and Mitchell went to right wing in defensive scrum situations. Was that protecting O'Connor, making sure the full back does not miss vital tackles or just getting one of the great misdfield defenders (Spanner) where he's needed?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I noticed at least a couple of times during the Lions game that O'Connor dropped back to FB and Mitchell went to right wing in defensive scrum situations. Was that protecting O'Connor, making sure the full back does not miss vital tackles or just getting one of the great misdfield defenders (Spanner) where he's needed?
    Probably the latter 2 there shasta, I don't think protecting Rabbit in defence is the first priority at the moment.

I did notice that the team shuffled positions quite a lot in this game though, with different patterns being trialled both in defence and at the set piece. It makes sense to do that in the games where you have a cricket score early, as it mitigates risk. I hope it was part of an effort to show Rabbit that he's actually going to be developed over here rather than just being trundled out in the starting 15 like would happen at some other clubs.......that and I hope he realises what's going on before putting pen to paper!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Nothing to stop running him at 12 for the early part of the season then swap over to 15 as Wallaby time approaches (even first half at 12, second half 15). Obviously this means shuffling others around like Sheps to 11, 11 off and someone else to 12.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Saving him in defense also saves his engery for attack where he most dangerous... Dropping Spanner in there makes sense when possible... Oppositions scrums & lineouts... It dosn't mean the kid is not up to the task, I've never seen him stand back from a tackle and he takes most men down...

With younger players its about bone maturity... look at SBW he had many injury problems because he wasn't looked after... and like a rugby 12 was playing a defensive postion in the NRL (backrower)...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It also shows a confidence in each other that positional play in multiphase isn't that important.
    If there is time then back to your jersey position, if not then play on without losing any quality.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Nothing to stop running him at 12 for the early part of the season then swap over to 15 as Wallaby time approaches (even first half at 12, second half 15). Obviously this means shuffling others around like Sheps to 11, 11 off and someone else to 12.
    I don't think Deans will play JO'C as a starter until 2011 at the latest. Not in the big tests anyway. Against the second tieries maybe but Deans has a kid who can play 10/12/15 with equal effectiveness and makes a perfect bench weapon which also eases him into test rugby.

Deans used to mix Carter about in his formative years (12 and 15) to get a bit of a better understanding of things. I'd expect him to do the same again.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Higher chance now that O'Connor will sign with Force.

Evidently Mulvihill was always telling him to "pull his socks up"

Last edited by Unnamed Sauces; 10-05-09 at 00:48.

Champion
    vCash

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6