Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force, Waratahs lock horns for key signatures

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force, Waratahs lock horns for key signatures

13th April 2009, 10:45 WST

The Force and Waratahs will go head to head off the field as well as on it this week.

Saturday’s Super 14 match at the Sydney Football Stadium will climax several days of intense recruiting rivalry in which the Force and Tahs will go tit-for-tat in a bid to sign each other’s emerging players.

The Force have learnt the Waratahs will approach Test No. 8 Richard Brown during their four-day stay in Sydney and plan to retaliate by making pitches to NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau and fly-half Daniel Halangahu.

Wallabies Brown, James O’Connor and Drew Mitchell remain the Force’s recruiting priorities and the club expects an answer from the latter this week. The Force believe the amounts they have tendered to retain the trio will not be topped.

Brown is still open for offers, with the Reds aggressively chasing his signature, and O’Connor is waiting for the Australian Rugby Union to decide the value of his Wallaby squad top-up before he and his agent assess a number of approaches.

Loosehead prop Pek Cowan has received the Force’s final offer and the club is awaiting his response before it decides on a contract extension for fellow prop Gareth Hardy.

Stormers fly-half Peter Grant has told the Force his attention is concentrated on winning the No. 10 Springbok jersey, which he considers up for grabs.

The Force want Grant as their marquee international player to replace Brumbies-bound Matt Giteau and have submitted an offer.

Grant won’t respond until he learns whether he can expect a call-up for the series against the touring British and Irish Lions, starting in June.

Although the Force are working hard to assemble the spine of next year’s team by acquiring a hooker, No. 8 and fly-half, they are also in the market for a big loose forward and winger to replace Tamaiti Horua and Scott Staniforth respectively.

Tighthead prop is also a key position but the Force believe they will get either Tim Fairbrother from the Hurricanes or Matt Dunning from the Waratahs to take over from Ben Castle.

Last Friday’s late collapse against the Hurricanes reduced the Force’s chances of reaching the finals to the dreaded status of mathematical possibility, and administrative attention will now increasingly swing to next year.

The hesitation of some players to commit to the Force, despite the high salaries on offer, indicates unease about the direction of the rugby program. Although the club is pushing the line that the coaching situation has been resolved, players have to be convinced that those with whom they work are united in pursuing an effective plan.

DAVE HUGHES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=135757

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gut feel is that Drew will be staying, Brown more than likely, although NSW approach is a worry as they have more to offer him than the Reds. O Connor no idea where we stand, there is so much we can offer but he is a prized recruit and the compeition for him will be high.

As mentioned in one other post of mine today, these prized recruits are vital to keep us competitive.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Force keep 1 out of 3... and Sign 2 Tahs...

vCash
    Why would Brown go to the Tahs?

Palu has the 8 jersey at the tahs and he would end up behind Smith (should he stay in Australia) and Pocock if he moved to 7
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    force keep 2 out of 3 and send drew to the brumbies to continue his missed tackling.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Drew did come out and say that he would go where the money was, presumably because he a) likes money, but more importantly b) feels that money wil raise his profile and likelihood of Wallabies selection. Its clear the Reds don't have the money to play with and the Brumbies aren't interested. This leaves the Force and the Tahs. As much as Drew has been a royal pain in the arse, I think his recent form even has him questioning his own value, particularly after Friday night. I would also imagine that his form would not be encouraging clubs to throw large sums of money at him. I can't see many clubs being able to match what we offer him. And for all his screw ups, I think he has alot to offer as well. We're short on wingers, particularly as we're losing Scotty and I still question Haig Sare's value. Drew will pull his head in, and he will improve. I think he's worth keeping but needs a rocket shoved up his butt and some defence coaching.

As for O'Connor, he is a must for resigning. But I was under the impression (and I think someone else said it somewhere) that he wasn't out of contract but just had an opt out clause, so we should be fine so long as no one else offers him to much more than we can and if the ARU gives him the top up he deserves.

Brownie...well the only thing I can say for him is that I highly doubt he'll be signing for money. Lets just hope he is happy playing with the Force...and I'd say with the forward pack we have and those young'uns we've resigned there's a lot of incentive for him to stay.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    .... and plan to retaliate by making pitches to NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau....
    as my dad made up today
    "Who do we want?"
    "Tatafu Polota"
    "When do we want him?"
    "Nau!"

haha... haha....

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    oh dear ...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post

As for O'Connor, he is a must for resigning. But I was under the impression (and I think someone else said it somewhere) that he wasn't out of contract but just had an opt out clause, so we should be fine so long as no one else offers him to much more than we can and if the ARU gives him the top up he deserves.

front page of todays super rugby liftout:

".., and O'Connor is waiting for the ARU to decide the value of his Wallaby squad top-up before he and his agent assess a number of approaches." There is also mention of Peter Grant too, albeit it not really any more than we already know. Further, a mention of Pek Cowan getting a final offer and a little on the THP position.

Article finishes "The hesitation of some players to commit to the Force, despite the high salaries on offer, indicates unease about the direction of the rugby program. Although the club is pushing the line that the coaching situation has been resolved, players have to be convinced that those with whom they work are united in pursuing an effective plan."

Personally i'd like to see the coaching situation resolved by removing the committee. I know many others will agree.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Rookie
    vCash
    Could it be that some of the lack lustre performances are now coming back to bite some of these players on the arse!!! Who wants to pay top dollar for non performing players and if some are starting question there value.... well maybe they'll stay put and learn the hard way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    oh dear ...
    I like it you old geeza
    Smile up

Controversy corner

Champion
    vCash
    I am sure Browny will stay we have prob the best loose forward trio in Aust. and in general a good pack. Mitchell is a great forwards coach and Browny has learnt alot from him as a former AB number 8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Article finishes "The hesitation of some players to commit to the Force, despite the high salaries on offer, indicates unease about the direction of the rugby program.* Although the club is pushing the line that the coaching situation has been resolved, players have to be convinced that those with whom they work are united in pursuing an effective plan."
    the coaching staff attracted the players here in the first, do we now find our selves with the same coaching staff driving players away...?
    Quote Originally Posted by domattw View Post
    Could it be that some of the lack lustre performances are now coming back to bite some of these players on the arse!!! Who wants to pay top dollar for non performing players and if some are starting question there value.... well maybe they'll stay put and learn the hard way.
    if you want to pick on the players,....were also paying top dollar for non performing coaching staff....why do the players shoulder all responsibility for another mid table finish...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    My only concern with this is that he is being presented new contracts based on his value now, whereas to stay he would be under a contract negotiated a year or so ago. If someone offers him something better, are we able (or will the ARU accept) renegotiation of a current and valid contract?

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    why do the players shoulder all responsibility for another mid table finish...
    For mine, because they are losing games through a lack of cojones rather than a lack of skill. There is no way they ran out of the changeroom at half time with the instruction to score the BP try and then just try to defend the lead. But somehow that was the gameplan they played, and it has to come back to the playmaking and leadership players on the field...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    force keep 2 out of 3 and send drew to the brumbies to continue his missed tackling.
    We could make a good tackle bag out of Drew aat the Brumbies... only joking girls...

Last edited by mudskipper; 17-04-09 at 15:11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast