Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force Snatch Loss from Jaws of Victory

vCash

Western Force Snatch Loss from Jaws of Victory

A try in the 81st minute to Corey Jane has given the Hurricanes a heart-stopping 28-27 victory over the Emirates Western Force in front of 20,737 fans at Subiaco Oval in Perth tonight.

The home side had led 27-16 with less than five minutes left on the clock, but two late tries saw the Wellington side claim an unlikely victory.

A moment of silence was observed before kick off to honour the passing of Brumbies forward Shawn Mackay, but the action was intense from the moment referee Stu Dickinson blew time on.

The Force scored three tries in the first half to open a 20-13 lead at the break. Recently re-signed winger Nick Cummins grabbed his first Super Rugby try after 21 minutes after Willie Ripia’s penalty had opened the scoring in the early going.

A second Ripia penalty cut the lead to 7-6, before the game opened up in the last ten minutes of the first half.

Consecutive tries to the Force from Scott Staniforth and Cummins opened up a 17-6 lead, but moments after the ensuing kick off Zac Guildford capitalised on a mistake from the home side to make the score 17-13.

Hurricanes prop Neemia Tialata was given a yellow card for deliberate foul play, and Matt Giteau stepped up to slot the resulting penalty as the teams went to the sheds.

The home side secured the four try bonus point just three minutes into the second half when Ryan Cross barged over. Giteau’s conversion made it 27-13.

The visitors dominated the scoreboard from then on, with a Ripia penalty and tries to winger David Smith and Jane stealing the win from the home side to break the hearts of the home crowd.

The Force were well served by their backrowers, Matt Giteau and Cummins, while Ma’a Nonu, Alby Mathewson and Rodney So’oialo were prominent for the ‘Canes.

The Emirates Western Force will travel to Sydney to play the Waratahs next weekend.

By the clock:

4th Min: Penalty Goal to the Hurricanes kicked by Willie Ripia. Hurricanes lead 3-0.

21st Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Nick Cummins. Converted by Matt Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 7-3.

30th Min: Penalty Goal to the Hurricanes kicked by Ripia. Emirates Western Force lead 7-6.

32nd Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Scott Staniforth. Not converted. Emirates Western Force lead 12-6.

36th Min: try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Cummins. Not converted. Emirates Western Force lead 17-6.

38th Min: Try to the Hurricanes scored by Zac Guildford. Converted by Ripia. Emirates Western Force lead 17-13.

40th Min: Yellow card to Neemia Tialata of the Hurricanes.

41st Min: Penalty Goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 20-13.

HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 20 Hurricanes 13

43rd Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Ryan Cross. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 27-13.

64th Min: Penalty Goal to the Hurricanes kicked by Ripia. Emirates Western Force lead 27-16.

77th Min: Try to the Hurricanes scored by David Smith. Converted by Ripia. Emirates Western Force lead 27-23.

81st Min: Try to the Hurricanes scored by Corey Janes. Not converted. Hurricanes lead 28-27.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 27 Hurricanes 28

Emirates Western Force 27 (Cummins 2, Staniforth, Cross tries; Giteau 2 cons, pen)

Hurricanes 28 (Guildford, Smith, Jane tries; Ripia 2 cons 3 pens)

Replacements –

50th Min: Haig Sare replaces Nick Cummins.
    60th Min: Luke Holmes and Sam Wykes replace Tai McIsaac and Tom Hockings.
    64th Min: AJ Whalley replaces Pek Cowan.
    75th Min: Tamaiti Horua replaces Richard Brown.
    78th Min: Josh Tatupu replaces Ryan Cross.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

I cannot believe it I feel sick just trying to figure out how the force managed to let that one slip .

The reserves let the team down and maybe if Gits got that drop goal it would have been different but we lost and that is it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 10-04-09 at 20:28.

Champion
    vCash
    Pieter, I have to disagree with you, saying that the reserves let us down, they didn't play well, Yes, but the whole playing force thought (like i did) we have the 5 points in the bag, lets wind this thing down, and then the last minute 'pittyful' effort of drew mitchell's tackle helped us lose it, Canes DEFFINATELY didn't win it. Giteau went into hiding in the last 15 minutes which didn't help also, the first half he as well as the team played like title winners.

CANES didn't WIN it, We lost it...

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Pieter, I have to disagree with you, saying that the reserves let us down, they didn't play well, Yes, but the whole playing force thought (like i did) we have the 5 points in the bag, lets wind this thing down, and then the last minute 'pittyful' effort of drew mitchell's tackle helped us lose it, Canes DEFFINATELY didn't win it. Giteau went into hiding in the last 15 minutes which didn't help also, the first half he as well as the team played like title winners.

The Force definitely lost it. I would say, though, that it was in the last 15 minutes or so where they handed it over. They needed to go the full 80 minutes but took the easy route and paid for it. They won't make the finals playing like that and deservedly so.

vCash

And that hurts even more

vCash

The reserves were shockers.
    To me it highlights that when McIsaac is gone and all we have is Luke Holmes, we're royally screwed. He is a competent lineout thrower but thats all he gives us. His scrummaging is below average and his workrate on and off the ball is poor. Drew missed both tackles at the end but others helped contribute including holmes and sare.
    Im still shattered

vCash
    Double Loss:

Staniforth limping went down very oddly on that knee - the crowd clapped when he stood up again.
    Cross limping
    MOM IMHO Nick Cummins limping
    Brown limping

Met JOC before game - walking ok seemed to think it was on the mend.

Possibly of concern to us Tim Fairbrother knee

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    can I add to this also, We the ***** has the BOX kick come from in our game, we have never seen it in 3 years of FORCE FOOTBALL, and tonight we used it more time than ever, and each time USELESS, give it to giteau or JOC or Mitchell to boot it down field please.

vCash
    I feel that it all changed when Cummins went of and Pocock got knocked against the head and was lights out for a momment

Champion
    vCash
    Mitchell's gone Soft !! (john for his comments after match) and (drew for his tackling)

vCash
    Buggeration. We kicked our win away The Canes saw that we were doing it, and used the ball we gave them.

What a heart-breaker

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I'd say you were about right - the game or intensity had gone before any of the subs really came on.

We need leadership amongst the backs.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    we need something. thats for sure...

i cannot believe it!

vCash
    can I add to this also, We the ***** has the BOX kick come from in our game, we have never seen it in 3 years of FORCE FOOTBALL, and tonight we used it more time than ever, and each time USELESS, give it to giteau or JOC or Mitchell to boot it down field please.
    whether its a box kick , a aimless boot to the other end or a high ball like they were using too much of earlier in the season neither is very effective without pressure from chasers. I would like to see less of all of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I feel that it all changed when Cummins went of and Pocock got knocked against the head and was lights out for a momment
    I agree - Cummins' departure seemed to change things dramatically.

Oh, and Giteau tackle at all? I always knew his front-on tackling was near on non-existent, but......

vCash
    We are absolutely shattered! And I hate seeing the 'Canes fans cheering too..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast