Thread: Force's Cowan lacks brawn but has the brain

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force's Cowan lacks brawn but has the brain

9th April 2009, 9:15 WST

Pek Cowan admits he’s in for the biggest test of his rugby career at Subiaco Oval tomorrow night.

The 23-year-old loosehead prop will do battle with Hurricanes and All Blacks tighthead Neemia Tialata knowing he needs to hold up his side of the scrum if the Western Force’s bid for the Super 14 finals is to continue.

At 116kg, Cowan will concede 11kg and years of experience to his front-row rival, but Force coaches believe he will continue to confound physics and make up with aggression what he lacks in mass.

Gareth Hardy’s knee injury in round two established Cowan as the Force’s premier loosehead and he has got the job done in a year in which the scrum has made major advances.

At worst, it has held its own and on occasion, most recently against the Reds, it provided home fans with the rare sight of a Force scrum dominating their opponents.

Cowan, Ben Castle and Tai McIsaac know they will be put under the cosh by the Wellington side’s all-Test front row of Tialata, Andrew Hore and John Schwalger, who had their Sharks counterparts struggling during the first half of last weekend’s match in Durban.

As they did in Perth, the Sharks withstood the pressure and capitalised on mistakes and fatigue in the second half to win.

If the Force can withstand the Hurricanes’ early gusts, particularly up front, they will also expect to finish strongly.

Coach John Mitchell acknowledges his side has to start with the necessary intensity or they’ll spend a lot of the game trying to dig themselves out of a hole.

“The Hurricanes have threats all over the park and we’ll have to be at our very best,” said Mitchell.

Cowan, too, is steeling himself for a Friday on which the Force need to be great rather than good. “They’re unpredictable and everyone from 1 to 15 likes to carry the ball,” he said.

“We’ve got to shut them down quickly.” Cowan himself is a No. 1 who loves to carry the ball and he was prominent last weekend with his carries and his tackling. “Yea, that part of my game is improving,” he said.

“I can get around the field and make tackles but it all gets judged on the scrums. “First things first — we’ve got to get that right against the Hurricanes.”

Defence will be critical for the Force, especially in the back line where Ma’a Nonu will target the smaller James O’Connor and Rodney So’oialo will run at Matt Giteau.
    Kick-off is at 5.40pm.

DAVE HUGHES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=135261

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Pek, we have faith in you. Tialata will come out of that game wondering what the hell just beat him at his own game!

Last edited by force addict; 09-04-09 at 11:19.
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Go Pek...i have faith the young buck will come good...

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rip into 'em Pek
    "You caan doo eet!"

As for JO'C, just remember those favourite lines I overhead, "Gotta catch me first fat boy."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Good to see a front rower getting some recognition,not that they seek it.They just toil away week in and week out,doing what props do best....the hard yards.
    Good onya Pek youve had a good season so far keep it up.

vCash
    Hmm after a couple of Pek's outings this year I'm waiting for him to be called up for duty, and he is clever like most front rowers and has a semi profess golfing handicap to boot

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I see in todays West he topped the player ratings for last weeks game.

vCash
    goo pek!
    you will be great!
    keep the faith!
    we will all be behind you!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Champion
    vCash
    PEK PLAYED WELL TONITE WE MISSED HIM IN SCRUM AJ JUST DOESNT HAVE THE STRENGTH TO BE IN THIS COMP. NICE GUY BUT........

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Hmm after a couple of Pek's outings this year I'm waiting for him to be called up for duty, and he is clever like most front rowers and has a semi profess golfing handicap to boot
    well hes started more S14 games than both Kepu and Alexander put together,a good future prospect and another good game against an AB front row,well done Pek,the same again next week please.

Champion
    vCash
    Deans was at the match last nite he would of been impressed maybe a green gold impact player of the bench..... 2009

vCash
    BDAVEY i cant believe u dont rate AJ. fierrrrce aj.
    pek played so well tonight, just one scrum went crap from what i remember!?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    the one where - i cant remember who it was - didnt stay engaged?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    A soon as pek and tai went off that was it for us at the set piece. We need another hooker badly! Holmes just does not cut it he constantly gives away penalties at the worst possible time and our scrum goes to the toilet the only impact he has is a negative one.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!