Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force has eye on Barnes, Halangahu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force has eye on Barnes, Halangahu

Wayne Smith | April 06, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Western Force is set to widen its search for Matt Giteau's replacement by sounding out Queensland and NSW five-eighths Berrick Barnes and Daniel Halangahu.

Force chief executive Greg Harris said yesterday he had not spoken to either player yet, but is adamant he will not be caught short if he misses his primary target, Peter Grant, the Springbok and Stormers playmaker.

Grant, whose parents have moved to Perth from South Africa, last week issued a carefully measured denial of media reports that he was set to follow them to WA. But it was difficult to tell whether he truly intends to reject the Force offer or is merely keeping his options open in a season when he still would hope to figure in the Boks' three-Test series against the British and Irish Lions.

"It (finding a new five-eighth) is not something I want to do in haste," Harris said. "So a Daniel Halangahu would have to figure in anyone's consideration, as would a Berrick Barnes."

On the evidence of last Friday night's clash with the Reds at Subiaco Oval, the Force already has an outstanding Giteau substitute, 18-year-old James O'Connor. The trouble is he is unsure he wants to shoulder the responsibility of steering the team just yet and, besides, there is no guarantee he will not follow Giteau to the Brumbies for 2010.

Force captain Nathan Sharpe was singing the praises of all his players after the runaway 39-7 victory - the most points the Perth club has scored against another Australian team. But he was especially delighted with the way inside centre O'Connor stamped his authority on the game.

"He was superb for us," Sharpe said. "He took control of the situation and didn't wait for 'Gits' to make all the moves."

Sharpe summed up proceedings astutely in crediting the entire Force squad for the season-saving win. While the Force back-row blotted out the Reds' loose forwards, it wasn't just Richard Brown, David Pocock and the late blooming Matt Hodgson who did the damage at the breakdown. Just about every Force player was responsible for at least one turnover.

After studying the Hurricanes' spirited performance against the Sharks in Durban early yesterday (AEST), Force coach John Mitchell is adamant his side must front up again at the breakdown at Subiaco on Friday night.

"The breakdown battle in Durban was, how shall I put this, intense," Mitchell said. "It was not for the faint-hearted. It was bloody physical."

The Force edged up to 10th place, six points adrift of the top four but has only played seven matches whereas four of the top five teams, the Sharks, Chiefs, Waratahs and Crusaders have yet to sit out their bye.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think the QLDer blood runs think in Berrick Barnes veins... I’m not so sure about O’Connor… Daniel Halangahu is a good developing player and seriously worth considering... He had an outstanding Shute Shield last year...

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, i would rather leave barnes where he is. it would be good for aussie rugby to see the reds performing better, which wont happen if they lose their wallabies.

vCash
    Halangahu would be a catch, are the Tahs willing to give him up?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, Hangers wouldn't be too bad an option, awesome field kicking on Friday night.
    Main role would be to get the ball to JO'C or kick, only rarely needing to bust it up, though he is well capable of that too.
    Getting a little tired of the non acceptance of JO'C at #12 instead of #10.
    Now days a good #12 is far more dangerous and important than a good 10 as they have more room to move and more options to decide on.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Halangahu is Daruda with more experience. However the rumour is he is going to be cut loose.

Bring back Jimmy Hilgendorf.

Grant was a no show against the tahs and will not help the Force attack at all.

Rookie
    vCash
    i wish the force would sign barnes! he is dreamy as!!!! lol!!!!!
    maybe the coach and staff can make the attack different, watching the tahs they have very strong forwards but there backs dont play well so they attack mostly though there pack. maybe its time for a new gameplan without gits, maybe a more direct path (my brother wishes they would do that now!!!!lol!!!)

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    Barnes always looks like he is in pain... Maybe im taking this the worng way, but you like a little bit of pain??? or inflicting the pain is "dreamy"

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    righto. so thats:

robyn+drew
    robyns sister+matt giteau (i think)
    rahrah+barnes

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    righto. so thats:

robyn+drew
    robyns sister+matt giteau (i think)
    rahrah+barnes
    You missed out on GIGS+AJ

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Daruda and O'conner can both play 10 and 12, then we have about 3 other inside centers and we have another 6 outside backs. Why are they always looking for more players in the middle of the season. I dont see why we need a better backline, the problem is the front row at the moment.

vCash
    I agree palitu, I would love Barnes to come and play 10 for us, a position I think he excelled in at the RWC in 07, it would be better for Aussie rugby if he stayed. He plays a strong game at 10 I think. Halagahu has been fantastic but remember Beale's game at 15 on the weekend, fluke or not he was good. Maybe they'll try to play Beale at 15 and keep Halangahu at 10 as he is clearly playing better than Beale. He has been great in the last few games he would be an awesome catch.

Only problem I have with Halangahu is that I get his name wrong and I'm checking the thread title every time I write it. He needs an easy-to-type nickname!

I'd rather one of these guys that Grant..

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Did Barnes or Quade Cooper even play the other night?

I can't remember either of their performances if they did.

Find an international to come and play 10, it's an important position, not as important as a forward but nearly.

Butch James ready to leave Bath yet?

vCash
    interesting...

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Butch James ready to leave Bath yet?
    Butch James! I'd rather we kept it in Australia myself if that's our option.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast