Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force has eye on Barnes, Halangahu

vCash
    barnes is carrying too many injuries...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, that would be my one major concern. Not that I think he would be interested in the move anyway, mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Butch James! I'd rather we kept it in Australia myself if that's our option.
    Is this a national pride thing?

I'm about winning the super 14 regardless of where players are born. This is modern club rugby.

It's tunnel vision if a player leaves such as Gits and our first option is to look at poaching from the other 3 Aus teams. It's not musical clubs.

"Well we've never won the comp or come close but we do maintain our strong mostly Australian players only policy". Bugger that, look abroad for the talent as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Is this a national pride thing?

I'm about winning the super 14 regardless of where players are born. This is modern club rugby.

It's tunnel vision if a player leaves such as Gits and our first option is to look at poaching from the other 3 Aus teams. It's not musical clubs.

"Well we've never won the comp or come close but we do maintain our strong mostly Australian players only policy". Bugger that, look abroad for the talent as well.
    I would prefer for us to further the talents of Australians, but I'm am for winning the super14. I welcomed Castle with open arms and am quite pleased with his progress. I would much prefer an Australian 10, preferably West Australian, however that is not my main issue.

I just don't like Butch James. I think his consistently late tackles are something I don't look for in a player. I think it is not accidental and there is malice in his method and I don't appreciate it at all. While he makes hard hits I think there are a few too many late ones and I don't think they are all accidental. I just don't like him much. I'd rather not have him on my team. I'd rather have an Aussie boy than sign James if he is our opition. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear before.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably the wrong thread to argue this one out but I have to disagree WRF.
    I look at NH Clubs and wonder just what is it people are actually supporting.
    I can't imagine having anywhere near the personal investment in supporting the Force if we ran up to 50% Internationals out each week.
    To me it is a territorial thing and the sooner that we can have the majority being WA born and bred running out the better, but realistically that is still a way off so it is an Australian based team to build Australian based talent.
    There are many cases of the "musical clubs" unleashing a bench player at one into a starting dynamo at the next.
    I don't think that that is ideal either mind you, but is a required evil until the playing development approaches four equal bases.
    But I would hate to think this two player window turns into the thin edge of the wedge to seeing squads over run by Internationals in the name of success.
    While week to week and even throughout a season I obviously want success, overall I want to see a strong Australia on the Test scene with a proportionate delegation coming from the Force.

Edit: What I would argue for though is an expansion of our squads to at least 44 to enable an A comp, to be bringing more players to the elite level of training and closer to playing S14.

Last edited by Burgs; 06-04-09 at 18:40.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I would prefer for us to further the talents of Australians, but I'm am for winning the super14. I welcomed Castle with open arms and am quite pleased with his progress. I would much prefer an Australian 10, preferably West Australian, however that is not my main issue.

I just don't like Butch James. I think his consistently late tackles are something I don't look for in a player. I think it is not accidental and there is malice in his method and I don't appreciate it at all. While he makes hard hits I think there are a few too many late ones and I don't think they are all accidental. I just don't like him much. I'd rather not have him on my team. I'd rather have an Aussie boy than sign James if he is our opition. Sorry, I didn't make that very clear before.
    Yeah he's a tad dirty at times I agree but I was just making the point about looking abroad. Carlos Spencer is still playing in the Guinness Premiership for Gloucester, not that I think he's the right man but it does show some of the talent that is out there.

Maybe Ronan O'Gara wants to come down for the warmer weather?

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Probably the wrong thread to argue this one out but I have to disagree WRF.
    I look at NH Clubs and wonder just what is it people are actually supporting.
    I can't imagine having anywhere near the personal investment in supporting the Force if we ran up to 50% Internationals out each week.
    To me it is a territorial thing and the sooner that we can have the majority being WA born and bred running out the better, but realistically that is still a way off so it is an Australian based team to build Australian based talent.
    There are many cases of the "musical clubs" unleashing a bench player at one into a starting dynamo at the next.
    I don't think that that is ideal either mind you, but is a required evil until the playing development approaches four equal bases.
    But I would hate to think this two player window urns into the thin edge f the wedge to seeing squads over run by Internationals in the name of success.
    While week to week and even throughout a season I obviously want success, overall I want to see a strong Australia on the Test scene with a proportionate delegation coming from the Force.

Edit: What I would argue for though is an expansion of our squads to at least 44 to enable an A comp, to be bringing more players to the elite level of training and closer to playing S14.
    All fair points of your opinion.

What we do need is and I think in your edit this is what you mean. Why when you go to the super 14 there isn't the Force V Reds (for example) academy teams playing each other first?

The NRL have it each week in the Toyota Cup, why don't we?

I don't want the team to be all internationals but if we rely solely on WA talent we'll struggle to even compete until the game really grows as it will in WA over time.

Junior talent can be brought up through the emerging academy player based comp.

Mate I still support the force regardless of who was in the blue jumper, its the club I support not where the players were born.

vCash
    I believe we need a second tier that plays curtain raisers to the main event. The cost of this is inhibitive however

Controversy corner

Rookie
    vCash
    so i get barnes, its agreed? lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    so i get barnes, its agreed? lol!
    Barnes is not good enough He is second or third choice We need new blood! I still vote for Grant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I still vote for Grant
    Did he play against the Tahs?

vCash
    yeah he did. had a terrible game too

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Did he play against the Tahs?
    yea he did and had a shocker but I still have confidence in him

vCash
    i still prefer grant but still barnes is up there...

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Im still a fan of Grant. Most 10's struggle to be standout performers against the waratahs defense in recent times.

Champion
    vCash
    Does the northern hempishere competition ever overlap the southern hempishere rugby season ? only reason I ask is that why dont we target an international like Ronan O'Gara or better yet Cave Man for the forwards (Cheval - i no its not the correct spelling, but you know who i'm talking about)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast