Thread: Final Wrap

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Final Wrap

South Africa retain Adelaide Sevens

Robert Ebersohn scored in the first
    minute to set South Africa on their
    way at the Adelaide Oval
    South Africa beat continental rivals Kenya 26-7 to retain the Adelaide International Sevens and stretch their lead to 28 points at the top of the IRB Sevens World Series standings, with two events to play.

Kenya earlier won a historic victory against World Cup runners-up Argentina to reach a first ever Cup final, but the Boks proved too strong in the final and hammered home their superiority at the Adelaide Oval.

With 104 Series points Paul Treu's full-time Springbok Sevens squad now leads the race for the Series from England on 76, with Fiji (74), Argentina (68), New Zealand (64) and Kenya (58) most likely all now vying for second place.

South Africa retain Adelaide Cup title
    Series points: South Africa (20), Kenya (16), Argentina (12), Fiji (12)

A year after inspiring South Africa to victory here at the Adelaide Oval in 2008, Robert Ebersohn scored a try after just 28 seconds to give his side an immediate 7-0 lead against the Kenyans. Humphrey Kayange's try levelled the scores at 7-all but Vuyo Zangqa struck before the break for a 14-7 half time lead.

The second period was dominated by South Africa as they attacked at pace and defended well against Kenya's danger man out wide Collins Injera. They did have to wait a further eight minutes to register their third try, though, a delightful solo effort by Ryno Benjamin, and Renfred Dazel rounded off a convincing performance with their fourth try to make the final score 26-7.

The athletic Kenyans earlier won a fine semi final against Argentina 17-5 to confirm their status as a genuine power at the top of the Sevens game, while South Africa beat Hong Kong champions Fiji 21-10 thanks to two tries by Lionel Mapoe and a clincher by Zangqa.

Reaction: Paul Treu, South Africa coach
    "It's the first time that we've retained a title, I think we've pretty much achieved every single goal (we set), unfortunately we didn't win the Hong Kong tournament but I told the guys last week that there will still be many Hong Kongs to come.

"We are not Springbok Sevens, there will be many Springbok Sevens players and many Springbok Sevens coaches who will come after us and there will be many opportunities for them but winning this one for the second time is a nice feeling.

"I'm still reluctant (to say that the World Series is won). Yes it is going to be difficult for the other teams but we would tend to focus on the things that are in our control and win more tournaments."

England beat Australia to claim Plate

Series points: England (8), Australia (6), Wales (4), New Zealand (4)

England Sevens veteran Ben Gollings scored a sudden-death extra time try to win the Adelaide Plate trophy against home favourites Australia, 24-19, and claim eight points towards the World Series. Henry Vanderglas put the Aussies ahead after only 15 seconds but England hit back with three tries through Tom Varndell, Ollie Phillips and James Rodwell to lead 19-5 at the break. Richard Kingi spear-headed the fine Australian fight back with two converted tries to tie the game, but Gollings pounced in extra time.

Earlier, hosts Australia won through to the final with a convincing 38-7 win against World Cup winners Wales. Australia led 19-7 at the break after tries by Shaun Foley, Henry Vanderglas and Benjamin MaCalman against Will Harries' for Wales and they then cut loose in the second half through Shipperley, Bishop and captain Murphy. With both sides battling against the crippling effects of multiple injury set-backs, England won a thrilling high-class semi against New Zealand 21-14. With the scores tied at 14-14 newcomer Dan Caprice broke a tired kiwi defensive line and sprinted the length of the pitch to clinch victory for England.

Reaction: Ben Ryan, England coach

"To show the resilience to beat a good New Zealand side and then follow up with an Australian side that beat us on Friday night, was brilliant and that's why we are in this programme, so that guys wearing the England shirt can come into tournaments and knock over the New Zealands and the Australias, and hopefully go on to bigger and better things. And one day they'll be at Twickenham and know that they've knocked over these sides at various levels in the game."

Samoa win Bowl
    Series points: Samoa (2)
    Samoa overpowered France in the Bowl final to win 35-14. Paul Albaladejo scored in either half for the French but the islanders scored the opening four tries of the match through Lolo Lui, Alafoti Fa'osiliva, Jerry Meafou and Afa Aiono and Simaika Mikaele's score rounded off a convincing win in a more competitive second half.

Earlier, Samoa won the big all-island semi final clash against Tonga, coming back from any early 5-0 deficit to win 24-12, and France followed victory over Portugal with a win over a third island nation the Cook Islands, 35-14.

Reaction: Uale Mai, Samoa captain
    "I told the boys that we had to come out here today and win this Bowl trophy. The people back home in Samoa are only happy if we win the Cup, but we had to win this today.

"I think this is my last Sevens tournament, we need to find another Sevens playmaker and I need to move onto 15s. I think I'm too old for this now and I need to look for a contract to look after my family."

USA win Shield
    USA beat Scotland in a dramatic fight back 24-21 to take the Shield trophy in Adelaide. Zach Test scored early on for the Eagles but Scotland led 14-7 at the break after tries by Jim Thompson and Roddy Grant. Kevin Swiryn and Test scored after the break to put the Americans ahead but Grant scored again to edge the Scots back in front. Matt Hawkins' late try clinched victory for the USA side.

Earlier, Scotland overcame Japan 17-14 to reach the final and USA captain Kevin Swiryn scored a brace in their five-try victory against Portugal, 29-14.

Reaction: Al Caravelli, USA coach
    "When you play six games you want to walk away with something and I think that for the young squad, to be able to feel the peaks and valleys, we want them to stay on more peaks and I think they've learned a lot from this about pressure and crunch situations. I think we have the nucleus of new young players and if we can keep them together I think we'll do well in the upcoming events and next year's Series."

http://www.irb.com/irbsevens/edition...delaide+sevens

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Reaction: Uale Mai, Samoa captain
    "I told the boys that we had to come out here today and win this Bowl trophy. The people back home in Samoa are only happy if we win the Cup, but we had to win this today.

"I think this is my last Sevens tournament, we need to find another Sevens playmaker and I need to move onto 15s. I think I'm too old for this now and I need to look for a contract to look after my family."
    Monday, 06/04/09:

Hello? Uale speaking.

G'day Uale, this is Greg Harris, CEO at the Western Force. Tell me, how do you like golden beaches, parochial crowds, jersey's of a darkish blue and a fully furnished house for your family to live in?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well done south africa

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Kenya played with great confidence in all but the last game, when they looked nervous. Mind you, fast runners, all very tall and long arms and legs.

Aust, Eng and SA also played with great confidence (mostly). NZ didn't surprisingly. most of the pac islanders ran sideways and backwards and didn't want to run.

France were consistently booed by everyone. SA & Eng were mostly booed. Massive crowd support for Kenya. Don't know why.

Super event. If you haven't been, go do it sometime. Bring a crazy outfit too.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue