Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer
April 04, 2009 05:30pm

IF ever there were two players who epitomised Friday night's Western Force win it was man-of-the-match Matt Hodgson and Richard Brown.

But if ever there were two players who are poles apart it is the two backrowers.

Hodgson, is so often the unnoticed hero who goes about his work with a quiet, workmanlike efficiency.

Then there's Brown, always noisy, never unnoticed, ever smiling and once nicknamed 'Tigger' after the Winnie the Pooh character for his boundless and exuberant, if somewhat overly-youthful, energy.

With David Pocock, the back row trio set the platform for the 39-7 bonus point, four-try win over the Queensland Reds that kept the side's Super 14 finals aspirations alive.

Hodgson illustrated just what he is all about with two early first half turnovers that set the pattern for the rest of the game.

But in typically modest style when asked about the ruck work he said: "We had a lot of turnovers. It was a good team effort."

When pushed about the turnovers he said: "I just want to do my job and if the team wins that's great. Victory for the team is more important the individual performance.

"That's my role, try and do the one per cent stuff, the little stuff off the ball that often goes unnoticed. I quite enjoy that."

Hodgson is out to make the No 6 jumper his own after playing in all three back row positions.

"Mitch (coach John Mitchell) said there was an opportunity so I put on a few extra kilos and put the extra work in the gym," he said.

Force captain Nathan Sharpe said: "Hodgo is the sort of bloke that epitomises this team. He turns up every week and does a great job.

"He's one of those guys that some weeks goes without anything said about him but he was outstanding tonight."

And typically Hodgson is just as happy playing local club rugby with Wanneroo as he is at Super 14 level.

"I just enjoy playing rugby and the camaraderie," he said.

But what does he think of Brown?

"I guess you have to have all sorts of characters and personalities in the side," he said tactfully.

As for Brown himself: "I'm just a happy sort of bloke. Maybe I had ADD as kid," he jokes.

But under the ever present smile there is another side as Mitchell pointed out.

"We've enjoyed his grumpiness," he said referring to Brown's return to the squad after injury.

"Yeah, I do get cranky sometimes, but you have to have a certain amount of intensity and if it takes me being cranky at training to get results then I'll be cranky," Brown said.

"You've got to get a fine balance between enjoying it and being disciplined."

Mitchell was relieved to come out of Friday's game with an injury free squad after what he described as a very physical clash.

But Mitchell, a ruthless player in his day who wants the same from his side, said: "If you want to prosper in this game, one thing you have got to have is good strategy.

"The other is that you have to be very physical and we were right up there tonight."

He believes the finals race is far from over.

"We are living in a false world on the log. We have to keep looking after own backyard and let those other teams have byes. Don't count us out yet."

His captain Sharpe summed up the win pretty succinctly: "It was enjoyable. Bloody enjoyable."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html