Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't shoot down our finals chances: Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Don't shoot down our finals chances: Mitchell

• Tim Clarke
    • April 4, 2009 - 8:30AM
    After leaving the Queensland Reds' season as a write-off, Western Force coach John Mitchell said it was much too soon to do the same thing to his side's Super 14 final ambitions.

An anticipated derby arm-wrestle turned into a horribly familiar tale for the Reds, who were the victims of the Force's best win in 2007, and now hold second place on that list following the 39-7 scoreline at a half-empty Subiaco.

Five tries to one illustrated clearly the difference in the cutting edge between the side from east and west, with Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes failing to turn any of their possession into points - while Matt Giteau and James O'Connor were ruthless.

And that ruthless streak emanated through to John Mitchell's post-match assessment, saying his team had finally learned how to turn good foundations into a solid structure.

"If you want to prosper in this game, one thing you have got to have is good strategy - the other is that you have to be very physical and we certainly were that tonight," Mitchell said.

"We have built a lot of blocks in attack and not got conversion. Tonight we got the conversion.

"We are living in a false world on the log - we have to keep looking after own backyard and let those other teams have byes.

"It is a really unrealistic log at the moment because of the bye situation, so don’t count us out yet."

The Reds were on the canvas by half time, 17-0 down and throwing passes in hope rather than expectation.

The same could be said of the punch that Scott Higginbotham threw that missed Josh Valentine's chin and cost the prop 10 minutes in the bin, during which time Tamaiti Horua's third try ended the contest.

Reds coach Phil Mooney said that act summed up the pressure his side was under.
    "They put us under a lot of pressure and we panicked. We had a lot of possession but under that pressure we were pretty sloppy," Mooney said.

"Everyone could see what the problem was.

"Whether it is a case of some of the young guys starting to believe that is the way they have got to play because that is what people are saying.

"We need to temper it and be more direct and mix it up.

"To be honest, based where we were on the table prior to this game and based on how we have been trying to build in the last couple of years … it is probably a little but premature to be talking about them."

O'Connor in particular revelled in the space and time outside Giteau, scoring his team's first try and showing again why every Australian team wants him - and why the Force desperately want to keep him.

But Mitchell said despite the success with playing apprentice alongside master, he was still weighing up whether to continue with the pairing.

"There are two ways you can go, continue to stick with it, which brings solidarity and familiarisation around each other. Or you look at your next opposition," Mitchell said.

"The width tonight between 10 and 12 really stressed the Reds defence, that was one of the reasons you have two playmakers to straighten the attack."

The Force still lie ninth, although just five points behind the Chiefs in fourth, who still have a bye with skipper Nathan Sharpe saying stringing wins together - starting next week against the Hurricanes was crucial.

"Essentially we have got to win every week, and that is what we aim to do, if you can do that for three or four weeks you can re-strategise," Sharpe said.

"We still need a little bit of luck to go our way with teams beating other teams, but it is going to be an interesting race to the finals that is for sure."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/dont...d.html?page=-1
    .adSpot-textBox {clear:both;background:#fff;margin:0;padding:0;bor der:none;width:420px;float:right;} .adSpot-textBox h5 {background-color:#ffff;border:1px solid #ffff;color:#A1A1A1;font-size:9px;margin:0;padding:0}

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Valentine deserves a Logie and love how he still managed to keep pulling Higginbotham through by the sleave as he was getting "knocked out"

Would like to think the Sin Bin Official (a mate) came out with, "Welcome back to Perth" as Higginbotham sat down

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was equally impressed with the Oscar performances of Drew, Crossy and Nick who were all protesting against the punch. Having said that, it wasn't a little tap...he was winding that arm up. These boys are a little over sensitive about their mum's aren't they...

Last edited by Jehna; 04-04-09 at 19:08.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    yeah true... one wouldve thought we were watching a snickers ad

"quit yo jibber jabber...!!!"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think he would have been in a world of hurt if it had actually connected Jen
    There was a bit of a look of "Faaark" in Valo's eyes as his cameo started!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    JOC best match, I'd like to see him at 12 more this season... a nice bonus point win greatly improves the chance to fight for a semis birth when some at the top of the table are starting to falter...

Last edited by mudskipper; 04-04-09 at 13:32.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think he'll shift back to fullback if the Canes play Nonu at 12. Call it:

10. Giteau
    11. Mitchell
    12. Staniforth
    13. Cross
    14. Cummins
    15. O'Connor

With Daruda and Shepherd on the bench for mine.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    one nitpick from last nights game. as coach, andy and myself were discussing at halftime. there is too much kicking away going on.

whats wrong with running with the ball in hand? the first time the boys ran a decent angle last night. o'connor scored...
    i dont see whats wrong with attacking from our own half or even our own 22

vCash
    Force rollercoaster on the up againTim Clarke
    April 4, 2009 - 10:43AM
    Page 1 of 2

Western Force's Super 14 final hopes still have a pulse, but Queensland's can be read their last rites, after the Reds' constant errors were brutally exposed in a 39-7 blowout at Subiaco Oval.

The desire of Phil Mooney's side to win pretty turned ugly, being kept scoreless for 72 minutes in which time John Mitchell's men had scored four tries, secured a bonus point and rescued their season.

Keeping the supposed entertainers of Australia scoreless in the first half, the Force's bristling defence was in part responsible - but just as much culpability sat with the Reds' backs who were loose in the pass and possession.

Despite the bulk of ball and territory in the first 40 minutes, the closest Mooney's side came to scoring was Digby Ioane's desperate lunge for the line after the siren - met with an equally desperate defensive effort to hold him up.

In the meantime, James O'Connor and Drew Mitchell had both finished through generous gaps and slick movement - and after replacement lock Scott Higginbotham received a yellow card moments after coming on in the second half, Ryan Cross and Tamaiti Horua took advantage to take the Force out of sight.

the rest here...http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/forc...0403-9s1f.html

Champion
    vCash
    James I think they will go with the same back line with Jnr and Sheps as impact players off the bench. Crossy will be tested agaist Conrad Smith hes class.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Has anyone heard about any injuries after last Fridays victory? I think the same team will run on a Friday???? Bit worried about JOC aganist these big Bros from NZ

vCash
    no injuries reported after the game vs Reds

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I believe JO'C handled himself extremely well last year against the Hurricanes
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    From evidence so far, I believe JO'C needs about as much "protecting" as Gits does!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    He is definitely a lot bigger now than he was last year when the Force played them. I seem to recall Nonu getting tied up around the bootlaces every time he ran into JOC last year and when Nonu put “the hit” on him he just bounced back up. It will be interesting to see where the Committee plays him!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I've seen nothing yet that makes me worry about the Rabbit, he's shown that he can tackle the biggest of blokes effectively....yeah, he doesn't always wrap up the ball, because he knows at his weight to tackle everybody low, but he sure isn't a turnstile!

I'd be more worried about Nonu, who won't be offloading till late, opening him up for the second man to smash him while Rabbit's got him by the knees.....look for some big hits by Browny this week!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast