Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Western Force Score Bonus Point Win Over Reds

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    a superb win. big wraps from me on JOC and Pocock. Was fantastic to watch. Need this sort of play every week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash

So glad that Acton was the ref. Apparently he's my brother, well accordingly to the lady at reception in Canberra.

I didn't think they had almost the same percentage of possession as us, we certainly cashed in on it alot better than they did, not to mention our superb defence. Cummins was outstanding taking out Connor, twice.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    So glad that Acton was the ref. Apparently he's my brother, well accordingly to the lady at reception in Canberra.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Hmm Acton and Byran .... mixed bag there mate

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Now I'm hoping Acton is the TMO for the Tahs game, I'm sure Bryan/Acton will make the right decision when it comes down to it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    My biggest bitch is that little old us at Community Rugby level are continually being told the there is no place in the game for foul play especially "punching"
    The Judiciary have a "crimes act" with levels of punishment, and we are constantly told that the refs will be extremely hard on foul play.
    Dickheadson actually said "punching" and delivered the yellowcard to Higgenbottom.
    How are we ever going to stop players at our community rugby level throwing punches when S14 refs won't take a strong stance.
    Have you seen the "crimes act"? If not, it's here. If so, well, you already know (a) it's not really for the judiciary; it's for the match referee, and (b) it's not an automatic red card for striking in senior community rugby, whereas it is in U/19 & below.

vCash
    I stand corrected and will weigh up if the team can spare my ten in the bin, when I get frustrated and react next time.
    Sorry I didn't realise punching was a low rated offence Ecky.

vCash
    Just watched a replay of the game.

My man of the match is a split vote between Pek and Cummins.

Pek was all over the field. Other than an excellent scrummaging performance from the forwards, he protected the ball well in rucks; acted a scrummie a number of times with decent deliveries; was involved a number of times in open play; and finally, put in a few decent hits. Infact, I've convinced myself, he IS my MOM.

Cummins. Proof a winger does not simply have to be a finisher to be effective. Generally excellent on defense but particularly to mind was his last-man-on-defense tackle on Digby. Digby's having a superb season and I'm sure many would have thought he was on his goose-stepping way around Cummins to a try in the first half..I think Cummins proved he's no slouch and can be trusted. Though a highlight early in the game, it was his metre-gaining barnstorming ball carries..with little room to work with (if any) and at times carrying two/three players..that gave us momentum and provided superb foundation for two tries (maybe three). Solid effort from the young winger.

Good all round performance from the players and most significantly, we showed ourselves how vital it is to play with plenty of patience.

On the flipside though, we really need to cram it into our forwards not to kick the damn ball. It almost always ends up shitcreek once its off their legs. Simply, if there is no pass on, take the ball in and set up the next phase.

Tough game this weekend against the 'Canes but can be theirs if they play with the confidence and patience exhibited this past game. The whole family is turning out for this game, I hope yours are too.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 04-04-09 at 22:17.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    I stand corrected and will weigh up if the team can spare my ten in the bin, when I get frustrated and react next time.
    Sorry I didn't realise punching was a low rated offence Ecky.
    I don't rate these offences - I just apply what the Crimes Act says to do. Remember there's an option of the bin or send-off. THAT is the bit where the ref has the discretion....

So throw that punch at your peril. Anyhoo........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Cummins. Proof a winger does not simply have to be a finisher to be effective. Generally excellent on defense but particularly to mind was his last-man-on-defense tackle on Digby. Digby's having a superb season and I'm sure many would have thought he was on his goose-stepping way around Cummins to a try in the first half..I think Cummins proved he's no slouch and can be trusted. Though a highlight early in the game, it was his metre-gaining barnstorming ball carries..with little room to work with (if any) and at times carrying two/three players..that gave us momentum and provided superb foundation for two tries (maybe three). Solid effort from the young winger
    I agree, Cummins was absolutely fantastic, had to be up there as one of his best games yet. He's such a strong player, what is best about his defense is that he is consistantly outstanding. He was my MOM Great minds think alike KQ!

Last edited by robyn <3; 05-04-09 at 10:30. Reason: Quotey thing didn't work

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Pek had his best match so far. All the forwards were good. Castle took a while to to get match fit but was very effective for us last night. Doubt we've had that many ruck turnovers in a match before. It's as cliched as hell but that and quick recycling were what got the boys on the front foot. It mostly nullified the Qld defensive line and allowed the backs to straighten the attack and run some nice lines.

Need to lift another notch this week but, with the time diff, the 'Canes effectively have a five day turnaround after a tough encounter in Durban. So It's a good time to get them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bugger, first reply vanished...

In essence, what I said was that of many factors, probably the most impressive in a developing Prop is Pek's ability to run out 80 minutes at the same intensity without a percievable drop off.
    It is one thing to be a fantastic Prop for 50 minutes, but to keep it up for 80 and not need to subbed unless injured is a massive bonus for the team.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    FYI - the Reds are being un-mercifully flogged by the Qld media since this match....and deservedly so.

Andrew Slack, Jim Tucker and other local rugby commentators have taken out the one wood and are beating the living daylight out of the Reds attitude in these past two games.

As much as I don't like seeing anyone being kicked while they are down, they deserve it.

It remains to be seen if it can have any effect.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Good game that! Nice to see a whole team effort, with everyone pulling at least their own weight. THAT is how you win games.

Nice to see Cross back to his destructive best, although it helps a lot that the ball was being put out in front of him. Cummins was very good - staying on his feet in contact and doing the good things in defense. Not many folk can take Ioane on one-to-one close to the try line and stop him. And the back row - awesome. Probably my only complaint would be the amount of turn-over ball kicked away. It must be very tiresome for the forwards to get the ball back just to see it belted straight back to the opposition. The same thing against the Hurricanes could prove fatal.

On initial watching I didn't think much of Giteau's and Mitchell's games, but changed my mind a bit on watching the replay. They had serviceable games, but probably no better than one would expect of a S14 level player. Which I found immeasurably cheering! It has almost become a mantra that unless we get a world beating 10 we are stuffed, but that game proved otherwise. Giteau merely played well, but I would have said no better than many others could have played. It is what we have said many times - when the team plays as a team with everyone taking responsibility, you don't require world beaters. It is nice when someone has a blinder, but a balanced performance can be as damaging. What was really nice to see was the enthusiasm shown whenever a try was scored or a good play made - everyone was behind the players around them and that is always a good sign. Long may it continue, and who knows how far the team might get if it does!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3