Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye ELV'S and how will the game move on now?

Champion
    vCash

Exclamation Bye Bye ELV'S and how will the game move on now?

The decisions are being made on the future of our game now

It is a relief that it is getting close being solved and we can get on with it!

I have to congratulate the IRB for giving it a swing , especially employing the likes of Rod McQueen and Ian Mac to guide the game through this time, it is a sign of mature and growing game that this has happened.

But the facts are if the officials supported the refs , we wouldn't need to change the laws at all.

There is no doubt the collapsed rolling maul was one of the dumbest things they have done, but this has been driven by the need to bring more flow...it hasn't worked

The Short arm free kicks are led to more restrictions for play , especially in the attacking team half, let alone 22 and more scrums, especially in the area of the attacking teams 50

I would have like to see the crooked lineout become a shortarm, why should a team be allowed to compete for the ball if they lack a skill in the game to throw the ball straight in the Lineout?

I hope the quick throw, the inability to pass back into the 22 and the 5 metres defensive lines in the scrum are kept, even if the last law doesn't have the space it promised ( 10 m??)

My hope is now that the rolling maul has returned, we will see rucking and a LOT more yellow cards for slowing the ball down ...this should send Richie Mc Caw packing...and the better the game would be!

The paranoid are worried that the return " Rucking" will see rucking of the head and face....I doubt if that will happen , especially with 20 cameras at every game!

Overall, its been worth the trial, but in fairness some of the games in the ML ( The first 50mins of the Ulster v Leinster comes to mind) have been better , than the S14.

It also comes down the fact, as a professional game, it is about WINNING not entertainment... a word that is sprayed about by people who nothing about the game (ie the media that is slowly drowning in it's own vomit and bile like Newspapers and FTA TV)

Until there is more return for Risk, we will see more teams grind out winning results in Rugby

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    it is about WINNING not entertainment...
    I thought winning was entertainment, regardless of how said win was picked up?

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Agree with most of what you said.especially the lineout. I would also like the" assitant refs" growing cojones and make decisions regarding said crooked ball and blatant offsides, forward passes etc.This is the blight on the game as they are passengers getting paid handsomelyfor doing bugger all. Otherwise i like the ELVs.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Champion
    vCash
    Tis true, but if it isn't 4 tries a piece and 30 - 28 , we have Arseclowns like Kafer whinging like a stuck pig " It ain't entertaining"

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Kafer doesnt know his arse from his elbow.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Entertainment is what brings new blood, winning is what keeps them, both are important, just not always to the same people.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post

This can't be argued with

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    But he does have a chalkboard!!...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    That isn't a board and doesn't use chalk.....need we continue?

C'mon the

vCash
    1. Stick with free kicks at the breakdown but you don't get the scrum option only a tap kick and run or a big up and under kick if your outside your 22 that is. I am sick of watching scrum reset after scrum reset every time a free kick is awarded, it's bad enough when there's a knock on.

2. Stick with the no gain in ground if you pass back into your 22 thats a good one.

3. Stick with the quick lineout throw being able to be passed in any direction except forward.

4. Stick with the full arm penalty for offside, dissent and dangerous play.

5. Stick with the corner post being part of the in goal again.

Get rid off,

1. Pulling down the maul, its dangerous.

2. Any amount of numbers in the lineout rule, the team putting the ball in chooses the numbers in the lineout as before.

3. The offside line at a scrum being 5m behind the hind most foot of the player at the base of the scrum.

4. They are touch judges NOT assistant referees.

Its not rocket science, but apparently the IRB think it is.

vCash
    last year the ELV's were great from the perspective of being at the game, the game was sped up and exciting, on television while sitting in the comfort of an armchair a wait for the lineout or thenxt set piece was not an issue as you could stretch over and get the coffee off the table or qiuickly fetch some nibbles. Being at the game the time flew and thats entertainment.

However, this year in particular this kicking from one end to the other has butchered the potential of the ELV's and they may as well go to the proposed ELV s. I would prefer they stayed with some kind of sanction for the kicking from one end to the other, what it would be I have no idea, but maybe one or two kicks per team between restarts?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If most of the ELVS are to be scrapped,why bother having them in the local comp this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    last year the ELV's were great from the perspective of being at the game, the game was sped up and exciting, on television while sitting in the comfort of an armchair a wait for the lineout or thenxt set piece was not an issue as you could stretch over and get the coffee off the table or qiuickly fetch some nibbles. Being at the game the time flew and thats entertainment.

However, this year in particular this kicking from one end to the other has butchered the potential of the ELV's and they may as well go to the proposed ELV s. I would prefer they stayed with some kind of sanction for the kicking from one end to the other, what it would be I have no idea, but maybe one or two kicks per team between restarts?
    agreed, last year was good, but this year most teams seem to think the best way to use the ELV's is by kicking a lot..

Another rule like you mentioned could solve that, but then you start to drift further into the realm of over governance or too many laws, which is already the case with rugby union.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    5. Stick with the corner post being part of the in goal again.
    What value do you see in that? I like the concept that the touchline is continuous. The corner post as part of t-I-G does not make sense - many of them end up at all different angles anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    4. Get rid off,

They are touch judges NOT assistant referees.
    The only problem I can see, not having "sports ears" and not knowing if they can be heard on them, is that they don't appear helping the referee any more than before. I reckon they should be encouraged to be more effective, especially in policing offside play. Is it just the name or the concept you don't like?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    i have been impressed with the two referee system thats been used in the NRL, maybe rugby union should look at this?

Though there is a fine line of a extra referee meaning more penalties, but alternatively it might help less penalties by the second referee been able to monitor and tell the opposition to keep onside, hands off the ball in rucks and having a referee each side of the scrum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast