Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mooney says any Ioane booing will be just applause in disguise

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mooney says any Ioane booing will be just applause in disguise

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/library/...rce,68332.html

Tuesday, 31 March 2009

QR Reds coach Phil Mooney says former Western Force player Digby Ioane will take it as a "mark of respect" if he receives a hostile crowd reception when running on for the Reds at Subiaco Oval on Friday night.

Ioane joined the Reds last year but missed the match against the Force at Suncorp Stadium.

He scored three tries in a trial game against the Force at Ballymore this year and has been the Reds' main strike weapon in 2009, converting from wing to outside centre.

Mooney said if Ioane's first appearance back at Subiaco does attract boos it will be because he was such a good performer for the Force in 2006-7 before opting to return to Queensland.

“I think he takes that (booing) as a mark of respect, as he did so well when they (the Force) originally took him,” Mooney said.

“Now he has come home and he’s playing very well for us.”

Against the Chiefs last weekend, Mooney shifted Ioane to the wing in the second half as the Reds’ rookie wingers were being monstered by the world class back three of Mils Muliaina, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Lelia Masaga.

However Mooney insists he will stick with Ioane at 13 and give Blair Connor and Rod Davies another opportunity.

The team will be announced tomorrow and while Mooney is leaving a light on in the window for the possible early return of injured wing Peter Hynes (knee), the final lineup is likely to be little changed,

“One bad performance doesn’t make you a bad player or a bad team,” he said of the criticism of the back three, in particular.

“The guys performed very well the game before so there won’t be a lot of changes, if any.

“We’re aware we need to be better this week and the boys have gone about their work so far with good enthusiasm.”

Mooney said the Reds had moved on from holding any grudges against the Force for signing a host of Reds players during their inaugural season, believing the position of both clubs on the ladder (11th and 12th) was motivation enough.

“Both teams are obviously in a desperate situation with where we’re placed on the table.

“And it is a derby game, so I guess Robbie Deans will be watching this one a little closer.”

The last time the two met at Subiaco, Ioane secured a try in the Force’s 38-3 win. The Reds gained revenge in 2008, winning 29-12 at Suncorp Stadium.

Back

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He thinks we would boo Ioane? We're not that petty, its almost been 2 seasons now!! What a noodle.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd have thought if anyone booing Digby would be doing it for the way he left the Force rather than his playing ability.

Could be a tool his Sports Shrink is trying to use to boost fragile egos.

I prefer to boo and yell abuse at the people booing.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    he is playing really well at the moment
    dont know why mooney would thing that...

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting - why would he even raise it if he didn't want to discourage it (or perhaps encourage it). Either way, says that he doesn't see Digby's head as entirely secure...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Why would I boo a player who hopefully based on current form I am going to be barracking for in August as we the Wallabies demolish the Boks? This isn’t AFL mate there is a higher purpose and intellect in Rugby circles at least I thought so until I read this interview!

vCash
    he's the inform winger out of all the aussie teams at the moment....i for one won't be boo-ing!..

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    its unfortunate but booing is a culture of WA sport. Its that AFL mentality. Booing has been discussed to death at least twice a year since TWF started. and people cant help but boo.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    its unfortunate but booing is a culture of WA sport. Its that AFL mentality. Booing has been discussed to death at least twice a year since TWF started. and people cant help but boo.
    well AFL didnt come from WA so i suppose that boo-ing is a part of eastern states too?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    well AFL didnt come from WA so i suppose that boo-ing is a part of eastern states too?
    without a doubt - and I believe its even worse in South Australia

but the topic was Digby and booing - and yes - there will be sections of the crowds that will boo Digby.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Poor old Digby isnt the sharpest tool in the box. Im happy that he is actually hanging onto the pill nowadays. Im more than happy if he is a our future Wallaby winger if his form continues..
    Booing isnt a WA thing or Afl, watch any rugby game in SA ,NZ, NSW and QLD and they all boo,so dont blame it on us as a WA thing.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    when does his contract expire with the reds and what happened to the story about him that will love to come back to the Force

vCash
    ive heard the qld crowd jeer nsw in the state of origin, but outside of that i dont think ive ever witnessed it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    when does his contract expire with the reds and what happened to the story about him that will love to come back to the Force
    he could be out of contract at the end of this season....

vCash
    I would be more concerned about what the Force pack will do to him if he gets trapped at the bottom of a ruck. The crowd is the least of his worries. I hope they belt him

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast