Thread: Italians to join Magners League in 2010

vCash

Italians to join Magners League in 2010

The Celtic Rugby Board have agreed in principle for two Italian teams to join the Magners League, it was announced on Thursday.

Providing certain entrance criteria are met, the new teams will be introduced into the competition during the 2010/11 season.

The Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) have been informed of the decision, which was discussed at a Celtic Rugby Board meeting on Wednesday.

"Two Italian teams will join the Magners League subject to a number of conditions being met, said Board chairman John Hussey.

"These conditions, which will be clearly defined, fall under main headings of playing and facility standards, finance and commercial including television.

"This will be a comprehensive process and will take some time. The board therefore decided that participation could not commence before 2010/2011 season."

The FIR have been keen to secure entrance into the Magners League to expose Italian players to a higher level of competition.

Italy have been the weakest team since entering the Six Nations in 2000 with this year's bottom placed finish underlining the need to make changes to their club game.

The FIR will enter two franchises - based in either Milan, Rome or Treviso - who will divide the best players operating in the country between them.

But concerns exist over potential revenue loss with few existing Magners League teams - made up of four sides from Ireland and Wales and two from Scotland - likely to tolerate a drop in earnings to accommodate the Italians.

"The Magners League is one of the top professional rugby union tournaments in the world," said Hussey.

"That quality is demonstrated by the fact that in the deciding Six Nations match between Wales and Ireland no less than 42 out of the 44 players who took part play their rugby in the Magners League.

"Four of this season's Heineken Cup quarter-finalists are Magners League teams. It's essential that any changes to the structure of this great competition maintain the highest standards."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What? In this terrible economy? Growth???

Sounds good to me, I'll have some of that SH style thanks.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Another two clubs looking to bolster their depth with SH players.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    with ireland lifting restrictions on getting a passport (great grand-parents), half the world probably qualifies as being irish now anyway - 2011/2012 will see the entrance of an Australian and New Zealand Team, 2012/2013 will see the French, South Africans, tongans, Fijians, Samoans enter the fray....

By the time RWC2015 comes around, the top 16 nations will all be playing in the Magners league !

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And good luck them, we don't seem to want to use them.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i dont know whether you can necessarily call this growth, its really more a consolidation of exisisting resources.

A necessary step no doubt, the level of rugby in the italian league was below par and quite a few players wanted out to join other competitions. By consolidating there players stocks into two teams, they have the potential to match it with some of the European clubs, which should help the Italian side in the long term.

vCash
    Start the smotes now but this is my opinion.

Super rugby will soon be a second rate Aus/NZ affair with some other smaller nations getting some teams in there one day.

The NH has more on offer for players than a season of 14 weeks down here. All the dollars will soon be up there and once the river starts to flow it will become an ocean of departures to go and play in the NH.

I still think no matter what they say the Boks will go into the NH comp to test themselves against the powerful European club sides.

vCash
    Well then Magners league wont be looking to the South African teams for growth...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i dont know whether you can necessarily call this growth, its really more a consolidation of exisisting resources.

A necessary step no doubt, the level of rugby in the italian league was below par and quite a few players wanted out to join other competitions. By consolidating there players stocks into two teams, they have the potential to match it with some of the European clubs, which should help the Italian side in the long term.
    Spot on TOCC, Japan should do the same and the US as well. It will be good for Italian rugby to make the transition into a better comp than the Super 10. Wales, Ireland and Scotland went regional in 2003 I think it was, the Principallity Premiership which is the feeder club comp in Wales or like the WAFL over here is still going strong.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well then Magners league wont be looking to the South African teams for growth...
    Not sure what you mean but I think they'll join the Magners league or it'll split with the Guinness Premiership and Great Britain will start it's own Super tournament with divisions of top and bottom teams.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

I've put this in before but I think this is what we'll be looking at soon in the NH.

Division 1

Gloucester Rugby
    Leicester Tigers
    Harlequins
    Sale Sharks
    Bath Rugby
    London Irish
    London Wasps

Munster
    Leinster
    Ospreys
    Cardiff Blues

Sharks
    Bulls
    Stormers

Division 2.

Saracens
    Newcastle Falcons
    Northampton Saints
    Worcester Warriors
    Bristol Rugby

Edinburgh
    Ulster

Glasgow
    Dragons
    Connacht
    Scarlets

Lions
    Cheetahs

Plus the new 2 X Italian teams.

No relevance of where they would stand just broken into what division the teams from each country would more than likely be in. Two teams relegated and two teams promoted each year as well.