Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Australian Players Off Contract in '07

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australian Players Off Contract in '07

These are the players I understand to be off-contract at the end of this season.
    Feel free to add any others and I will edit them into this list as we go.

Force:
    Vitori Buatava
    Pek Cowan
    Tim Davidson (Released upon request, has returned to Sydney University for now)
    Luke Doherty
    Dave Fitter (Released to Sydney University, rumoured to be looking at options in Europe)
    Josh Graham (Released upon request, has been signed to new NRL outfit the Gold Coast Titans in '07)
    Tajhon Smallman-Mailata
    David Te Moana (Released to inaugural team Tasman Makos in the NZ NPC)
    John Welborn (Yet to officially confirm retirement)
    AJ Whalley
    Ryan Cross (ex Force '07, NRL Roosters, 3 Years)
    Matt Giteau (Force '07, 3 Years, rumoured unofficially 5 years)
    Drew Mitchell (Force '07, 3 Years)
    Troy Takiari (Force '07, 2 Years)

Brumbies:
    Al Campbell (Re-signed Brumbies, 2 Years)
    Gene Fairbanks (Re-signed Brumbies, 2 Years)
    Nic Henderson
    Jone Tawake (Red hot tip to be coming West)
    Adam Wallace-Harrison (Re-signed Brumbies, 2 Years)
    Joel Wilson (Announced move overseas)
    Matt Giteau (Force 07, 3 Years, rumoured unofficially 5 years)
    Stephen Larkham (Re-signed Brumbies, 1 Year)
    George Smith (Re-signed Brumbies, 3 Years)
    Stephen Hoiles (Brumbies, ? Years)
    Julian Huxley (Brumbies bound, ? Years)

Reds:
    Rodney Blake (Re-signed, 2 Years)
    Caleb Brown (Re-signed, 2 Years)
    Julian Huxley (Brumbies bound, ? Years)
    Peter Hynes (re-signed Reds, ? Years)
    Lloyd Johansson (re-signed Reds, 2 Years)
    Steve Kefu (Heading to Europe)
    Anthony Mathison (Re-signed, ? Years)
    Tom McVerry (re-signed Reds, ? Years)
    Drew Mitchell (Force 07, 3 Years)
    Josh Valentine (Waratahs, 2 Years)
    +9 others (Berrick Barnes has chosen not to utilise Broncos only early release clause)
    Quade Cooper, (New contract, Australian Schoolboys, ? Years)
    Ben Coutts (New contract, Ex Sale UK, 2 Years)

Ben Daly (New Academy contract, Australian U19's, 3 Years)
    Charlie Fetoai (New contract, from Toowoomba Clydesdales, ? Years)
    AJ Gilbert (New contract, Australian Under 19's & Sevens, 1 Year)
    Ryan Nicholas (New contract, 1 Year)
    Ed O'Donoghue (New contract, Ex Worcester UK, 2 Years)

Clinton Schifcofske (New contract, ex Canberra Raiders NRL, ? Years)

Waratahs:
    Stephen Hoiles (Brumbies, ? Years)
    Al Kanaar (Re-signed with the Waratahs, 2 Years.)
    Wycliff Palu (Re-signed Waratahs, 2 Years)
    Chris Siale (Re-signed, ? Years)
    Troy Takiari (Force, 2 Years)
    Chris Whitaker (Ireland bound)
    +3 others
    Josh Valentine (Waratahs '07, 2 Years)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 10-08-06 at 11:11.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Provinces circle Marlins' prize catch

Provinces circle Marlins' prize catch

By Ben Kimber Rugby Heaven
    Wednesday, March 29, 2006

WHEN the Shute Shield kicks off this Saturday, Manly will be looking for new recruit Chris Siale to continue the tryscoring frenzy he has been enjoying with NSW A as the Marlins take on Tooheys New Cup champions Sydney University.

Siale and brother Lupeni have been lured to Manly from West Harbour. The pair's signing will bolster the Marlins' back line, with Chris, in particular, in outstanding form at present.

With his former club coach at Wests, Joe Barakat, now mentoring the currently undefeated NSW A team, Siale has been a standout in wins over their counterparts from the Brumbies and the Queensland Reds.

In four games, Siale's fast footwork has underpinned his constant ability to find the line.

"He's obviously scoring plenty of tries - he's scored two hat-tricks and picked up a couple in the other two games out of four matches with us," Barakat said. "And the way he's been going has been recognised with his selection as 23rd man for the top side. He's really been impressing people this year. He's always had the ability to cause damage and turn teams around, and you always want him on your side rather than against you. He'll be a real acquisition for Manly."

Manly will field Siale at outside-centre at University Oval on Saturday, with plenty of keen eyes sure to continue monitoring his progress as the other provinces circle. Siale is off contract with NSW this year and is already believed to have been approached by at least two other provinces to relocate next year.

While the big guns, such as Matt Giteau, will attract plenty of attention as they decide their futures, players such as Siale will be watched closely over the coming Shute Shield and Tooheys New Cup competitions as provincial coaches look to add further talent to their rosters.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    There's quite a few players there who'd look good in a Force jersey next year, no doubt. But among our current players who'll be coming off contract I'd really like to see John Welborne have one more year off the bench ..............having said that, he probably expected to be an "impact" player this year.

But how good has he been for us so far? The bloke's a legend!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree 100% shasta

@ Welborne :

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    The thing is .............. 35 kicking back in French wine country, milking a bit more super out of the Frogs, a phone call from out of the blue..........how good a judge is John Mitchell?

vCash
    Welborn has so much to offer Force, even if he comes off the bench every game for the next two years!
    His experience is of great benefit to the youngsters like O'Connor and Doherty etc.
    On a PR level, he is the 'West Australian face' of the Force, the only local in the team (?)

Force's future is to have more West Ozzies in the squad, and he is the embodiment of that goal.

When both Welborn and Cannon retire, they have to be offered assistant coaching positions within Force management. If they do so, it will keep continuity, skills and ethos within the Club/Franchise.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think you are bang on the money there Mystic, re Welborn representing the future/ideal etc and also as a genuine source of International (ie around the World, not Wallaby playing) rugby knowledge and experience. It is one thing to have Coaches and Staff who have worked around the globe but to have someone with actual playing experience is an entirely different and more valuable asset to any Club or Team.
    Unless Welborn finally uses his studies to go into the "real world", I think he is sure to be around the Force for many years. It would also be great to see him spending some time down at Scotch, our shared school, to help the boys out down there!
    Canno is another who provides a great role model as to chasing a goal. The trials he has been through in his life (car crash, injuries etc) is enough to inspire anyone, let alone his peers.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Thanks Burgs. You mentioned school visits (Scotch) by Force players. Is there any program for continued visits and workshops with High Schools- both private and public? The kids would love it to see and work with Force players at their school, or on a rugby training camp. ( I'm a retired teachie)

Any feedback as yet that the Force management is 'lending an ear' to TWF Forum? Any liaisons?

Getting back to original post, Force needs to show loyalty to the players who've relocated West, whether they've signed 1,2 or 3 year contracts, due to the huge effort required, especially for the fellows with families. I can't see any problems with extending contracts of guys listed above, unless of course they want to move on or there are extenuating circumstances. Force needs to be known as a stable club, not a fickle one always chopping its playing list. It can't afford that reputation and hope to encourage others to go West. Having said that though, if a player has to be cut from the list or his contract due to bad form or misconduct, then its all got to be way out in the open.

Recruited foreign players do best to have many of their own community already living in the city.
    Force will probably be able to recruit more big Ozzie names when it creates its own stars who make the Wallaby squad - possibly players like Hilgendorf and Ioane etc.

vCash

Feedback

MyBalls --

I am currently involved with the Force marketing people giving them feedback on my experience as a member. Basically looking for feedback as to how the Force is percieved and what can be done to improve that perception of the Force brand.

One of the things that has been raised is getting the players out to schools for training sessions and the like. So hopefully we will see more of it in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's interesting Rodent. I think the best way for the Force to enter the community's "heart" is definitely through activities in schools. While Clubs have the full Club structure to encourage individuals to play on, many School players don't play for a Club and are often lost to the game when they leave the Schools system.
    Back in "my day", most PSA players didn't play Club rugby as we used to play for our School at around 11am on a Saturday and then have to back up to get to the Club venue in time for the kick off. I assume this still to be the situation? Some die hards used to do both but, in general, they tended to be the backs who may not have coped as much of a pummeling in the 1sts match!
    While appearances are good their best "bang for their buck" would be through hosted training sessions with the 1st XV squads around the PSA and CSC.
    I'd encourage including the Academy players in this (especially as Welborn is the only Squad player with WA ties) to show the kids examples of locals who are coming through the system.
    I would make the Coaching and Referee Accreditations part of the Academy program and use the individual Schools for the practical component of that system, which would require the Academy Members to spend time Assistant Coaching, perhaps mid week training, and Refereeing matches.
    This would have a win-win effect with the next generation obviously benefiting and the Academy Members having a far better appreciation of Coaching methods and the Laws of the game.
    Also, at whatever age the Academy Members end their professional career path in the sport, they may be encouraged to become involved as Coaches or Referees if they already hold the Accreditations and have practical experience with both.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mystic, I have no current knowledge on the schools situation but from Rodent it sounds as if systems are being put in place which is great news.

Re the Force squad and recruiting:

Vitori Buatava- With Henjak and O'Young battling it out for starting honours and both on two year contracts, Buatava has been left to develop his own game in peace. I think that one of the two halves will leave us after next season, either Henjak to replace Gregan or O'Young to swap with Sheehan, which leaves it a no brainer for Buatava to want to stay in WA to fast track his progression onto a S14 bench. I would expect a longer contract this time.

Pek Cowan- Cowan did no harm to his reputation as allegedly the most promising Prop of his age group with his debut recently. With Fitter in doubt in WA and Cowan being schooled by the best forwards Coaches in Australia, I can't see him going anywhere just yet. Perhaps another one year deal.

Tim Davidson- I have been a bit disappointed in Davidson so far having had big wraps for him going on what I saw from his Uni season in '05. With relative depth in this position but Mitch announcing it to be one area he is looking for another experienced player, I think Davidson may well be leaving us.

Luke Doherty- Doherty has been one of the success stories of the extra team so far. We would be mad to let him go. Expect a longer contract.

Dave Fitter- Fitter is a bit of a special case as I understand he is on a loan type contract from the Brumbies. The Force have considerable depth in the Props, possibly the best squad in Australia, especially with the rise of Te Moana, and I think they may let Fitter go to free up the squad place for another playing position or for Te Moana himself.

Tajhon Smallman-Mailata- Mailata is a development player who possibly should have been an Apprentice. We haven't seen enough of him to drop him on ability however he may be sacrificed if we need the position for a bigger name such as Gasnier, Giteau, Mitchell, Johansson etc

John Welborn- Has become a sentimental favourite in short time however, Mitch has proved that he is all business. I would suggest that Welborn may well be let go but kept on as an Assistant Coach. Then, if we have a serious injury in the Locks he will be on hand and fit to come back into the squad in a similar way as McCormack did for the Brumbies. This enables the position to be vacated for recruiting. While he is playing great rugby, Welborn has only ever talked about playing the one season and he isn't getting any younger. (Just ask Kearnsey )

AJ Whalley- A bit like Mailata, we haven't really seen enough of Whalley and I think he does have genuine potential. It will come down to how much "potential" we can continue to afford to carry in a position that we have a fair covering for. Again, the rise of Te Moana has certainly influenced Whalley's opportunities.

None of this includes movements or contracts with Apprentice players.
    I understand that they all operate on one year contracts?
    Te Moana, Sare, O'Connor, DeBartolo and even Pocock are all deserving of full contracts (compared to some who already have one) so some of the positions above may well be taken by these Apprentice players. Hindsight is a wonderful thing however, I think management may be wishing that Peden and Stapleton had only been signed on Apprentice contracts rather than full squad two year deals?

Last edited by Burgs; 27-05-06 at 12:22.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Rodent keep on liaising, and Burgs your a champ! Looks like all bases covered on ground re growth of rugby in WA. The point about the Academy, junior coaches and referees so important. Broadens the base that builds up toward the Force.

It would be disappointing if players like the halves head back 0'east once their contracts finished. Better if they were able to extend. Force doesn't want to be thought of as just a stepping stone for players (biding their time) to get back to east state opprtunities. Professional players being able to seek other contracts is understood, but what Force needs is stayers and 'one club men'. I'd hate to see it become a 'revolving door' for professional players as some clubs in Sydney league have become. Anyway- you get my drift !

Those 5 apprentices mentioned should all be on full contracts, and agreeance that Doherty is a special for the future.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have updated the original post with the latest media of players off contract.
    Please post or PM if you know of others.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Announced today that Waratah Wycliff Palu (3 years) and Brumby Adam Wallace-Harrison (2 Years) have re-signed with their respective teams.
    I think Palu was always an outsider chance to come West and we have a good depth in the backrow anyway however, Wallace-Harrison was the one player that I had hoped we could bring home.
    He is only young and given another two years, when he is at the top of his game, he may then start to look West to see out his career with his home town team.
    With the top line Locks all sewn up for the next season Mitch is left to foster those he has shown faith in this season, and perhaps extend the old warhorse ("Wobber" Welborn) out for one more year as well.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To expand on the new notes in the first post, apparently Jone Tawake is very keen to come West however wants to play #8. With Fava entering his second year of three as a thirty year old then Tawake wouldn't have long to wait.
    From memory he is 24 and 118kg so would be a very imposing figure on the back of an already impressive Force pack.
    To the "insiders" knowledge both Kanaar (maybe he feels he owes us something ) and Campbell are very much in the picture with neither having finalised contracts with their respective teams.
    Word out of the Brumbies is that, with the re-signing of Fisher for a further two years, senior players are advising the younger off-contract squad members to look elsewhere for opportunities. The older players will see out their careers to the World Cup but there is some serious disharmony behind the curtains at the "stable".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast