Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Australian Players Off Contract in '07

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Josh Valentine is reportedly set to be signed by the Super 14 version of a cleptomaniac, the Waratahs, where he will have to do battle with Brett Sheehan and yesterday's news Josh Holmes.
    I find this a strange move by Valentine which must surely be driven by dollars as he would have been a certain to start for the Reds post France when Sam Cordingley will presumably retire.
    Instead he is now going to have to potentially fight for even bench time as many are backing Josh Holmes for great things and Brett Sheehan will continue to stake a strong claim to start.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Dunno if you missed it Burgs but Rodzilla re-signed with the reds for 2 years. Steve Kefu's GooooOOOOoonnnneee as well. Italy or France I think.

You may have yesterdays news backwards, some people are waking up to Sheehan at the moment, Holmes or Valentine might well get the nod for 9, but Sheehan will obviously have every chance to make the jersey his.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks Sage, have updated accordingly.
    My "yesterday's news" was more about how every man and his dog from NSW had been talking Holmes up for Wallaby selection this year rather than about his future.
    Holmes put on a decent display in the Under 19 WC Final but would need to lift considerably to S14. Will be interesting to hear how he goes with the Under 21's.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He'll make some S14 appearances for the Tahs undoubtedly, those who are talking up Wallabies selections are being a tad premature. Similarly so those talking up Beale's Wallabies chances, too early to tell on these guys. Holmes needs some S14 time and maybe a Waratahs end of season tour (could be this year) to get some more experience.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, was going to use Beale as another example.
    "Teenage sensations" are becoming a thing of the past in the pro era, purely on the physicality of senior rugby now.
    Don't get me wrong, there's been plenty of comparisons to Farr-Jones etc and if that is the case then it's fanastic news for Australian Rugby, regardless of his S14 team.
    However, they need to resist the temptation of brining him on too quickly otherwise they may "break" him.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I guess Josh Graham should be added to this list - heading back to League. I guess he thougt it was going to be a bit crowded next year.

Good luck to you Josh!

More info here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The HSBC Waratahs and the ARU have secured the services of Wallaby Alex Kanaar, the versatile lock accepting a two year deal taking him through to the end of the 2008 season.

Kanaar played all 14 of the Waratahs Super Rugby matches this year, following on from a big 2005 during which he made both his Super 12 and Test debuts.

“Al has grown appreciably as a player over the past two seasons and I think there’s plenty of improvement left in him,” HSBC Waratahs head coach Ewen McKenzie said.

“His work at the set piece is top shelf. He has significant presence around the field which has been rewarded with national selection both this year and last.”

Kanaar said in the end, the decision to stay a Waratah was an easy one to make.

“I never really contemplated leaving New South Wales,” the 23-year old said.
    (WHAT A BLOODY LIAR!!! I have first hand info that he was virtually signed to the Force til the media and ARU debacle!)

“There is some unfinished business to attend to with the Waratahs, they gave me my start and after going close to winning the title in the last two seasons I certainly wanted to stay.

“Being part of the World Cup squad in 2007 is also another big goal and I feel playing here puts me in the best position to press for a spot on the plane to France.”

Originally from Nowra in country New South Wales, Kanaar is a product of the Sydney University club, from which he was selected on the 2004 Waratah development tour of Argentina.

Named best rookie at tours’ end, Kanaar went on to make his Super Rugby debut against the Chiefs in round one of 2005, winning his Test debut against the All Blacks in the final match of last years Tri-Nations.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    heard a rumour(unconfimed) that Tajhon Smallman- Malaita has joined the Waratahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter
    heard a rumour(unconfimed) that Tajhon Smallman- Malaita has joined the Waratahs
    (If true) the clepto's strike again! Because he's going to have so much better oportunity getting a run in the Tahs backline isn't he!?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    (If true) the clepto's strike again! Because he's going to have so much better oportunity getting a run in the Tahs backline isn't he!?
    QLD would be his best option.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I would have thought that to be logical too Sage.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I find this really dissapointing, for the Reds, the Wallabies and Valentines' development.

Valentine signs with Waratahs

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Waratahs have lured Queensland Reds halfback Josh Valentine to NSW on a two year deal, filling the gap left by departing skipper Chris Whitaker.

Valentine, currently in camp with Australia A in Adelaide, will be in a three-way contest with Brett Sheehan and Josh Holmes, a star in Australia's Under-21 side, for the starting halfback's spot.

"We deliberately set out to recruit players that would give us strength and depth in key positions, such as half and hooker, and Josh certainly fits the bill.

"He's a skilful player who isn't afraid to back himself, which is something we're always on the lookout for," said Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie.

McKenzie says Valentine, Sheehan and Holmes will be given equal opportunity to push for the number nine jersey in 2007.

Valentine was the second-string halfback behind George Gregan's Wallabies understudy Sam Cordingley at the Reds this year, with the direct-running Nic Berry also in the mix.

There are no guarantees of a start at the Waratahs, but Valentine says he's looking forward to the competition between halfbacks.

"Competition brings the best out of everyone, and with halves like Brett and Josh already at the Waratahs I'm sure we'll push each other all the way," he said.

The 23-year-old Valentine fought back from a serious knee injury last year to make his Test debut off the bench against England in Melbourne in June 2006.

smh.com.au

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mmm, well I'm happy he's come down, he's gonna have to battle it out with mainly Holmes and also Sheehan.

You'd think he'd be able to start 14 games in QLD next year. How much time does he expect in NSW?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ....And how's he going to feel seeing Berry starting if Cordingley (here's hoping it doesn't happen mind you!) get's taken out in Round 1?
    I would be happy for my team if he came but not for the state of the game.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Exactly, my only thought is it's because:

a) of money
    and
    b) he believes he's a missing piece of the Waratahs (huge) puzzle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast