Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: England Opposes ELV's

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

England Opposes ELV's

England will lead the opposition when the top nations gather in London this weekend to discuss the experimental law variations, currently being trialled on a global basis.
    The IRB is organising the conference and will come armed with statistics about how ball-in-play time has increased since the ELV introductions, and the game has become more entertaining as a consequence. Any changes will need a 75% majority in May to come into force.

The RFU conducted exhaustive research into the impact of ELVs, analysing every match in the 2008-09 Guinness Premiership, as well as England’s nine internationals.
    Conclusions are that far from having positive impact, the changes have made rugby more defence-oriented with fewer sides willing to take risks and a surfeit of kicking out of hand resulting as a consequence. Referees have also complained the ELVs make their job more complicated.

Six Nations representatives met last week to discuss the variations – England, Wales and Ireland were resolutely opposed to the vast majority, Scotland was in support, France equivocated and Italy did not attend, although Italian head coach Nick Mallett is known to oppose the maul rule.

The main supporters of the ELVs have been in Sanzar, namely Australia, with New Zealand and South Africa’s position being they would like to see some changes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hey England......

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    KenyaQuin opposes the ELVs (particularly because of the maul rule).

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes throw away all the ELV's. Especially the ones where they make you follow some of the existing laws?

vCash
    After some more thought, yes, definitely would love a review of the ELVs and removal of a good number of them. This mish-mash that is the "southern game" is giving me a severe heartburn.

I've noted a difference between the 6 Nations and the Super 14/Tri-Nations and in my mind that difference represents an erosion of rugby's unique character especially down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Bring back the mauls, the long arm penalties, unadulterated rucking, and the structure that made rugby rugby and me love the game.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Yes throw away all the ELV's. Especially the ones where they make you follow some of the existing laws?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I just find it ironic that 5 of the 22 law changes (off my memory here so don't quote me) aren't changes at all, we are experimenting with following the law the way it is written. I find it amusing when someone says lets throw away all the ELVs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I just find it ironic that 5 of the 22 law changes (off my memory here so don't quote me) aren't changes at all, we are experimenting with following the law the way it is written. I find it amusing when someone says lets throw away all the ELVs.
    News to me, an interesting observation, and ofcourse you could be right. When you have a minute, would you be able to enlighten the rest of us with a little more detail please (not looking for too much, a few examples should suffice).

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Lots of free kicks for breakdown transgressions, that would have been previously let go in favour of "flow". A lot of that also comes out of the refereeing directive to crack down on sealing-off of the ball, which will either have to fall by the wayside if they revert to full-arms or we're likely to see penalty counts approximating the combined count for penalties and free-kicks (currently around 20 per game). That'd be rivetting...

vCash
    But it wouldn't take many 20 penalty matches for teams to start fixing the issue would it Andy?

I'm no longer sure about ELVs, Sure they opened the game up in the first instance, but then (as I predicted I might add) negative teams began to play them negatively and the merry-go-round recommenced. At this point I think the ELVs will have limited impact, mainly by providing room for the attacking teams to do so...what really grinds my gears though is that line "the IRB is calling a summit and comes armed with statistics" That's bullshit isn't it? The IRB are the governing body, surely they should be saying, We're going to be using the ELVs from now on, unless you guys can prove that it's a stupid decision!

C'mon the

vCash
    I am also no longer sure about the ELV - there is a lot more kicking in general play - maybe they just need to make penalties worth 1 or 2 points - to make sure the emphasis is on scoring try's.

Jasper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Bring back the mauls, the long arm penalties, unadulterated rucking, and the structure that made rugby rugby and me love the game.
    Mauls are still there! It's just that you can, within reason, now defend it by bringing it down.
    The rucking part of the law hasn't changed. What you could do 10 years ago you can still do now.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    But it wouldn't take many 20 penalty matches for teams to start fixing the issue would it Andy?
    Or they'd just bitch that the ref ruined the game with all those penalties and yellow cards, he'll be stood down, all the other refs will take notice and won't blow for sealing off and hands slowing the ball, and the game will be back to the exact same point that it was when the IRB decided that something had to be done.

vCash
    Is that pretty much the point the southern game is at now?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, that is what I am saying. They will be trying to compare no-ELVs (with the referees ignoring most of the foul play in favour of "flow") with the ELVs (with the refs blowing up the breakdown as instructed). But it is not the laws that are dictating the game, it is the referees treatment of the breakdown. The old laws would be just as messy (or worse), so they will go back to ignoring most of the illegal play. If not, I am not sure how interested I'll be in a 27-18 scoreline without any tries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast