Richard Graham to tackle Wallaby skills gap
Bret Harris | March 25, 2009

IT is perhaps a good thing Richard Graham has not had time to watch much Super 14 rugby this year because if he had he might have decided against becoming the Wallabies' new skills coach.

The job might have looked too hard.

Anyone who saw the NSW Waratahs fumble their way to a frustrating loss to the Crusaders in Sydney on Saturday night would appreciate why coach Robbie Deans is bringing Graham into the Wallabies set-up.

Deans identified skills as an area of need when he took over last year and Graham's appointment highlights that it is still a priority.

If the Wallabies are to play the style of game Deans is seeking, the players must improve their skills.

"I'm very excited," Graham said from London, where he coaches English club Saracens.

"Australian rugby is on an upward curve. I'm coming home at a really good time to be part of the Wallabies' challenge for the 2011 World Cup.

"The culture that Robbie Deans has created excites me. There is a young group of players coming through who will perform well on the international stage."

Graham, a former Queensland Reds fullback, has worked as a skills coach in English rugby since he joined Bath in 2002.

He was the Saracens' skills coach for three years until taking over as head coach following Eddie Jones's recent decision to stand down.

"Having someone in the role full-time gives skills a focus and a priority," Graham said.

"It's something we need to work hard on so that when the game is tight we can still perform at a high level. In the past, skills was one of those things that could easily be forgotten.

"Talking to Robbie about his philosophy of the game, it is obvious he has a big focus on skills.

"If we can work on our skills, the game he wants to play is achievable."

Graham said his involvement with Saracens had restricted the amount of Super 14 rugby he had viewed this year.

"I watch Super 14 when I can," Graham said. "There is a real difference in the way they play the game in the English premiership and the Super 14.

"In the English premiership at least seven of the 12 clubs play on football fields, which are smaller. As a result, the games are quite attritional.

"The weather in the Super 14 is always dry and that promotes ball movement.

"Having said that, Bath and London Irish move the ball well.

"In the course of a season we play Scottish teams, French teams, Welsh teams, and they all play differently.

"You have to adjust to the different styles of rugby you play."

Saracens, which has had South African investment, had a lot of off-field drama this season with the departure of Jones and the release of a large number of players, including former All Black Chris Jack.

"It has been a difficult season," Graham said. "But the spirit in the group is high. It's a big challenge.

"I've got nine games to go and a quarter-final in the European Cup against Newcastle."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015652,00.html