Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallaby 11, 14 & 15 pecking order

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    TOCC you can pick the in form Fullback it wont kill you... Ioane is definitely an inform winger... Here I'll help...

Shep…. broken
    JOC…. Novice
    SNK…. Going north
    McLinden…. new comer to rugby
    or Gerrard.... the inform fullback in the S14 thus far...

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

I'd still like to see more of Cooper with the Wallabies... this year...
    SNK... inform fullback for australia but moving north
    JOC... not right position for him
    McLinden... still a lot to learn
    Shep... showing great glimpses
    Gerrard... good kicking, way to slow for test rugby, that and he might be moving north

So what do you have there, SNK is the form fullback, Shep has shown the best touches from fullback thus far, but Gerrard is a more reliable package with great kicking assets, McLinden hasnt been tested so far.

my preference(ignore the fact they are moving north or injured):
    1. SNK
    2. Shepherd
    3. McLinden
    4. Gerrard

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What a few are forgetting is what the Coach thinks and the Coach thinks that JO'C is a Fullback.
    I have little doubt that, if fit, Tuqiri will take one Wing for better or worse.
    That leaves the other Wing for either Ioane (who I haven't seen this year) or someone with Fullback abilities as a second "sweeper".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Digby has been on fire this year so he'd be a definite starter. I think Hynes has done enough to be in my side on the other wing.

Fullback is tough - noone has been standout. If Sheps is fit he'd be in for sure.

Drew can go back to club rugby to rekindle some of his passion...I'd love him to be at his best but sadly he's nowhere near it.

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    What a few are forgetting is what the Coach thinks and the Coach thinks that JO'C is a Fullback.
    I have little doubt that, if fit, Tuqiri will take one Wing for better or worse.
    That leaves the other Wing for either Ioane (who I haven't seen this year) or someone with Fullback abilities as a second "sweeper".
    Too right Burgs.

One of JO'C and Cameron Shepherd is going to play out the Force's season at 15. If it's JO'C my money is that Deans will give him a run against the likes of Italy and France and then send him off to the JWC and maybe bring him in at the end of the 3Ns. If its Shepherd I reckon he will be the starting fullback for the Wallabies. Fact is that Gerrard is going and is clearly out of favour with Deans, SNK is leaving and sucks and McLinden is not a development prospect. The wing spots will likely go to Tuqiri and one of Ioane or Hynes with AAC on the bench.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    11. Tuqiri
    14. Ioane
    15. Hynes

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I would love to see the likes of Quad Cooper on more for the Wallabies! Is there a possibility of playing him at Full back? He is quick, hard running, can kick and has improved greatly at defence!

Tuqiri has to be gone surely Ioane is the natural replacement for him!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    I would love to see the likes of Quad Cooper on more for the Wallabies! Is there a possibility of playing him at Full back? He is quick, hard running, can kick and has improved greatly at defence!

If Cooper continues his run of good form, it could allow Giteau to return to inside and have him at 10.

9. Lucas
    10. Cooper
    12. Giteau

Would be a pretty creative and exciting combo

vCash
    I rate Genia above Lucas anyway, halfback is very competitive in Australia at the moment, unfortunately i cant say that they are all competitively awsome, its more a mediocre level across the board.

vCash
    This might seem a bit out there… and a little crazy... But what about Quade Cooper as Wallabies fullback... He's got pace, a good kicking game and great defense... he could be an excellent fullback if Gits and Barnes take 10,12 positions…

Remember you heard it first from Mudskipper....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    This might seem a bit out there… and a little crazy... But what about Quade Cooper as Wallabies fullback... He's got pace, a good kicking game and great defense... he could be an excellent fullback if Gits and Barnes take 10,12 positions…

Remember you heard it first from Mudskipper....
    ahh muddy, did you just copy sandgroperrugby's comment?

vCash
    Sorry I'm late, but For my money, Lote would get a shirt regardless.....I'm sure it's hard wired into his contract since he's played shit every season and still been the first picked, why should that change?

Digby has to be there, but I reckon he'll be fighting with Hynes for the spare slot....neither should be considered for Fullback.

Shep IMHO is the best POTENTIAL fullback out of what's on offer.....he'd probably be a better 11 than fullback, but everything else is either too green (McLinden) too fat n slow (Gerrard, to name one) or simply not competitive (The likes of Mitchell) If Shep can overcome the fitness issues before the end of the season and put together some performances which show him at his best, he'll walk into the spot. If not, he might take a bench, with probably Gerrard to take the Jersey.

Adam Ashley-Cooper is a possibility, but will more than likely take a utility role....wherever that places him....probably not the starting anything until injuries open up holes for him....so not really relevant for what this discussion is.

O'Connor, won't stay at fullback, Deans was distinctly looking at that position as a development position for him, I guess with a view to using him in the 10-12 channel somewhere.....future I guess. I reckon he would make a far better fist of the utility back role while he learns his craft and builds some bulk....My call, pine for Rabbit with a couple of starts against the likes of Italy etc....he might even start at 12 against some of the minnows.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Ugh Oh! Muddy did you inadvertently agree with a Force supporter? But seriously that would mean that we would have three players on the pitch that could take over at Fly half. Remember last year when Mortlock was our back up, do we want to be in that position again? JO’C on the bench as a utility and he can cover either 12 or 15 better than Ashley two dads!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ahh muddy, did you just copy sandgroperrugby's comment?
    No I missed his comment.... but interesting that others are thinking the same...

vCash
    I would just like to say that Digby should not be pushed to the wing for an Australian team. He has been playing a blinder in the centres!!!!!! When he moved to the wing for QR once this season I think it was his worst effort! He is by far one of the better centres this year in the entire competition, he picks gaps, doesn't mind hitting it up and damn is he strong. I recon Mortlock and Digby in the centres would be a scary combination to come up against!!!!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Top 3 from each position that id like to see for Wallabies in 09.

1's- Robinson, Alexander, Cowan
    2's- Moore, Polatu-Nau, Hardman
    3's- Baxter, Shepardson, Kepu
    4,5's- Horwill, Sharpe, Chisholm
    6's- Elsom, McMeniman, Higginbotham
    7's- Smith, Pocock, Waugh
    8's- Brown, Palu, Hoiles

9's- Lucas, Genia, Phibbs
    10's- Giteau, Cooper, Barnes
    12's- Giteau, Barnes, Cooper
    13's- Mortlock, Horne, Ioane
    11,14's- Ioane, Hynes, Tuqiri