Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Waratahs firm as Drew Mitchell tests market

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs firm as Drew Mitchell tests market

WALLABIES outside back Drew Mitchell is expected to make an announcement about his future this week and NSW Waratahs have emerged as the favourites to secure him.

Mitchell is out of contract with the Western Force and he has attracted interest from all four Australian Super 14 franchises.

The announcement will coincide with the Force's bye weekend so it will not distract the team.

There has been strong speculation since the end of the Wallabies' tour to Hong Kong and Europe last November/December that Mitchell would leave Perth.

It was initially believed that Mitchell would follow his Force team-mate and close friend Matt Giteau to the Brumbies.

But indications are that Mitchell will go to the Waratahs instead if he decides to leave Perth.

A brilliant attacking player, Mitchell would help the Waratahs to play the expansive style of game they are struggling to execute.

Mitchell would be guaranteed his preferred fullback position at the Waratahs, as he would at the Brumbies, and he would be able to command the same level of third-party endorsement in Sydney that he enjoys in Perth.

It is understood Mitchell would not be able to attract the same sponsorship support in Canberra, which would put the Brumbies at a distinct disadvantage.

If the Brumbies missed out on Mitchell, they would intensify their efforts to recruit Force utility back James O'Connor, who can play five-eighth, inside centre and fullback.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ok, bye.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Old news.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Sniff......if he wants to play fullback, he'll need to move to a club with no option at fullback.........that's the Waratahs (the Schnozz is leaving this year isn't he?)

C'mon the

vCash
    yeah he's heading off to Cardiff Blues I think
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    cya, no big loss.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    [B]

A brilliant attacking player, Mitchell would help the Waratahs to play the expansive style of game they are struggling to execute.

How? The ARU has spent an inordinate amount of top-up money at the Tahs for brilliant attacking players. Ones who didn't fumble or take the wrong option as often as Mitchell and they still win ugly and still have not won a title. Why would he be any different?

Bye bye. Good luck. Don't let the door hit you in the arse.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    He is going to have his work cut out at the Tahs, with Turner, Tuiquiri, Tahu, Horne, Carter and now possibly Beale vying for an outside back position.

I would prefer for his sake and ours that he stays with EWF. He has grown as a player here and has the potential to grow further. From a commercial point of view he does keep the "female" contingent happy, and we need to grow and at least keep our existing base fan base. He can influence other players like Valentine to stay with us, and the more Wallaby players we have the more focus is placed on the franchise.

Please Drew do the right thing and sign with us.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    his decision was made ages ago

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    From a commercial point of view he does keep the "female" contingent happy, and we need to grow and at least keep our existing base fan base.
    Well all the wise men in the East say that 80% of Rugby supporters here are from ZA. I reckon we should follow their lead and value aggressive forwards more. Attract corporates who want to sponsor Pin-Up-Props & Handsome Hookers. Make them the match committee. They could come up with a game plan which requires some good old fashioned grunt up the middle and outlaws forwards having to wear themselves out running all over the park like headless chooks, while the pretty boys squander possession.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Well if he goes it will eliminate the confusion,of which Mitchell is which with the headlines.Easier to replace than gits.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    There are no "ifs" about it this was news before we beat the Brumbies, except "mum" was the word until it became/becomes official....sorry Robyn, I told you he was going.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    no big loss

Champion
    vCash
    with the performance of last week and recent time - would he be getting a start with us... form been rubbish and you hit the nail on the head BURGs and EXILE... on yeah bike DM.

with the money with Gits and now Mitchell going can we please put it into the pockets of BROWNY - BAM - & JOC.

I think the hugging buddy in Valentine will be next to go..

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

i dont want to sound like a "non" mitchell fan, but how's he going to get into the wallabies team this year. If you cut off selection now you'd have Digby and Lote as the two wingers with maybe Lachie Turner and Peter Hynes as back ups.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

i dont want to sound like a "non" mitchell fan, but how's he going to get into the wallabies team this year. If you cut off selection now you'd have Digby and Lote as the two wingers with maybe Lachie Turner and Peter Hynes as back ups.

vCash
    I am bit concerned how quickly we all seem to be ready to chuck him out. He has improved immensly with us, and over the past year there are not too many people able to get the ball back to our players once down in a tackle, he has stregnthened up and is great fighter for the ball once down in the tackle.

Yes, he may be a bit more replaceable than others, but lets get real. Cummings is still very young and while improving has some way to go, more worrying is that he seems injury prone. Spanners is more a centre than a wing and his missing speed showed up on Saturday night. Tatapatu, Pelesasa, Oconnor, Daruda are all really inside backs and outside backs we are not laden with too much depth.

Again, I must say Drew please sign with us we need you.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast