Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Staniforth left frustrated on Western Force sidelines

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Staniforth left frustrated on Western Force sidelines

SCOTT Staniforth is suffering the frustration of the long-distance spectator, watching from afar as his team experiences the highs and lows of rugby.
    There were the celebrations in Canberra, and then there was the crash and burn of Hamilton on Friday.

And it has the powerhouse runner champing at the bit.

Staniforth, arguably one of Australia's most underrated players - except at the Force - is desperate to show he is ready for a comeback from knee surgery and that he has lost none of his hard running and tough defence.

He lined up with his old Sydney club Eastwood in a pre-season trial yesterday to improve his match fitness.

Staniforth has had three operations for left knee cartilage problems since the start of last year. The last, and least serious, came after the knee flared during the Force's off-season UK tour.

This time he took a slow and steady option, admitting he tried to get back too early from the previous problems.

The Force fans' favourite played a 12-minute cameo role off the bench in the Round 2 win against the Cheetahs and is now ready for a full game.

"I know in myself I'm ready to go. It's frustrating not being there with the boys," he said. "I've just got to put my head down, keep training and hope I can break back into the side."

Staniforth is earmarked for a wing berth this season, but knows that will not be easy with players such as Cameron Shepherd, Nick Cummins and Drew Mitchell already challenging for the two spots.

He enjoys the centre role given to him by Force coach John Mitchell, but there is just as much competition in the midfield from the likes of Junior Pelesasa, Ryan Cross and James O'Connor.

"I like playing in the centre, being closer to the action where you need to be able to read the game and where an older head helps," he said.

"But I'd even pack down in the scrum if they asked me if it meant getting on the paddock."

Staniforth, who needs eight more caps to bring up his Super rugby century, made one of the great comebacks to Australian rugby when he joined the Force.

He was in the 1999 Wallaby World Cup squad, but quit Australia to play with London Irish in England after three Tests and 61 Super games for the Waratahs.

The move to London Irish revitalised his thirst for rugby but, after his third child was born, Staniforth and wife Emma decided to return to Australia - and the Force had been smart enough to keep the last spot in its inaugural squad open for him.

He scored nine tries in that first year - including the five-pointer that sealed the historic first Super 14 win, 16-14, over the Cheetahs in South Africa - and won the club's Player of the Year.

So impressive was Staniforth, Wallabies selectors could not ignore his ability to play in the centre or on the wing and he was back in the national squad.

But his 2007 World Cup came to an end when he injured a shoulder in his first touch in the 55-12 victory over Fiji.

http://www.news.com.au:80/perthnow/s...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Anyone know how his game with Eastwood went? Be nice to have him back in the mix next week - just a short flight across the ditch if he's already on that side of teh country. The way the team played on Friday night I think he's right with his 'older head' comment ...

Champion
    vCash
    so we lose Giteau (returning back to canberra for unknown reasons - possibly family)
    we will lose JOC (limited game time)
    we will now lose Staniforth (no game time)

what's going on !!!!

vCash
    bring back the spanner.........
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    we need spanna in the mix. he is ready and raring to go. just give him some game time and let him loose on the field!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    so we lose Giteau (returning back to canberra for unknown reasons - possibly family)
    we will lose JOC (limited game time)
    we will now lose Staniforth (no game time)

what's going on !!!!
    We won't lose Spanner. He is contracted until next year besides which he is only missing out on game time because he isn't 100% yet. Expect him starting or on the bench against the Sharks and to keep in the starting XV for every game after that. From what I've seen he is pretty settled here.

Not that I mind that much, but I don't think we'll lose JO'C either. If Queensland were interested I think we he'd go home for obvious reasons but the fact is there isn't the room or the money in ACT and NSW probably isn't that appealing because they play a style of rugby entirely different to JO'Cs. The Tahs will keep a crash ball inside centre like they always have and always will because they play forward oriented, tight rugby. If JO'C wants to play 12 he won't go to the Tahs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I reckon Spanner could replace Ryan Cross after Friday's performance.....I haven't called for Crossy to be dropped before, but he sucked in bulk against the Chiefs.

Now to sit down and find anybody who didn't actually suck against the Chiefs!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I reckon Spanner could replace Ryan Cross after Friday's performance.....I haven't called for Crossy to be dropped before, but he sucked in bulk against the Chiefs.

Now to sit down and find anybody who didn't actually suck against the Chiefs!
    Good call. RC was our most consistent performer last year and I haven't seen him play with nearly as much pizzazz this year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yep, shock him back into a Wallabies jersey is my call!

C'mon the

vCash
    If Spanner was in the run on side, he'd just about be first pick in my fantasy super 14 team.

BRING HIM BACK!!! My team is doing crap and seemingly so is the real team this week

vCash
    Unfortunately I gave Crossy the arse from my fantasy side on friday morning
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    If Spanner can tackle, get him in the starting 15

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    If Spanner can tackle, get him in the starting 15
    If Spanna can tackle clone him and play him everywhere!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I've always said that we don't give spanner enough opportunities. I think the staff have taken his ability as a utility player for granted - junior always seems to get more opportunities for some reason!! Bring back the spanner next week!!

vCash
    spanner is a harder runner than pelesasa and a better tackler. I say even at 80 % he's still better

Bring him back ... Bring him back
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast