Thread: Force finals hopes fade as Sharks triumph at Subi

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force finals hopes fade as Sharks triumph at Subi

THE Western Force face a mammoth uphill battle to qualify for the Super 14 finals after last night's 22-10 loss to the Sharks at Subiaco.

The Force may have abandoned their ocean-blue jumpers for pretty pink ones to raise funds for the Breast Cancer Foundation of WA and they may have shed a few old habits but they could not get the much needed win.

And with the bye next week the Force is likely to slip further down a clogged ladder.

Form, like their results, has been inconsistent and while in spells it was a more assured Force performance than some of recent times it is what the scoreboard says at the end of 80 minutes that matters.

Coach John Mitchell said his side would play an expansive game and they certainly tried with a willingness.

With the likes of Matt Giteau and James O'Connor around, there was always likely to be a few heart stopping moments.

There was an improved toughness in the centres with Ryan Cross and Junior Pelesasa and with a couple of hard nosed forwards like Nathan Sharpe, Tai McIsaac and Ben Castle, collectively the Force tackled harder and made fewer mistakes.

But all that counts for nothing when a team with the experience and confidence of the Durban-based Sharks is allowed into the game.

It was breakouts from two rucks that brought about the heartbreaking moments that effectively seal the defeat.

Within two minutes of the second half re-start the Sharks went 80 metres, with speedster JP Pietersen touching down.

But the crowd was rightly furious because referee Bryce Lawrence allowed John Smit to jump all over Force halfback Josh Valentine for an illegal turnover.

However, there was nothing illegal about the snaffle at the ruck that led to the second breakaway try from Odwa Ndungane after an hour's play. Rory Kockott converted.

A high tackle on O'Connor had brought an early reward for the Force with Giteau slotting a penalty from in front of the posts.

On the half hour Steyn slotted a drop goal from 25 metres and that was it for the first half as far as the scorers were concerned.

Kockott stretched the Sharks lead with 15 minutes to go for his sides third try before converting his own try.

Scott Staniforth, in his first start for 11 months, grabbed one back with nine minutes left and Giteau converted to give the Force a sniff. But that's all it was - a sniff.

Mitchell said despite the loss, he was pleased with his side's showing.

"The effort was huge," he said. "We had them in all sorts of trouble in that first half.

"It's unfortunate that the team that plays all the football doesn't win the football match

"That's the hardest thing to swallow.

"There were some fantastic positves tonight

"They (the Sharks) were on the ropes. They scrambled and hung on.

"It was pretty brutal. The guys gave it a good crack."

Sharpe said despite playing well, the loss would result in some tough times for the Force.

"In the first half I thought it was a matter of time before the scoreboard opened up on us but to their (Sharks) credit they scrambled well," he said.

"In parts that was some of the best football we've played all year.

"It was disappointing.

" We played some good football tonight and we did throw a hell of a lot of pressure at them.

"Unfortunately we just made too many mistakes at crucial times, especially when we had them on the back foot.

"They had a couple of opportunities and went the length of the field.

"I think we played well in the first half. We didn't capitalise on the presuure in the second half."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Back to the glass half full mind set for a bit, have had a few hours to de-rant, the bulk of the second half of the season are well winable for us.

Reds Subiaco
    Hurricanes Subiaco
    Waratahs Sydney
    Lions Subiaco
    Bulls Pretoria
    Stormers Cape Town
    Highlanders Perth

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Back to the glass half full mind set for a bit, have had a few hours to de-rant, the bulk of the second half of the season are well winable for us.

Reds Subiaco
    Hurricanes Subiaco
    Waratahs Sydney
    Lions Subiaco
    Bulls Pretoria
    Stormers Cape Town
    Highlanders Perth
    well, the next match will be a loss as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    couldn't expect anything else from you, TOCC.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Ironically the only positive result this weekend was for the Reds with a bye

vCash

lies. all lies!

vCash
    TOCC I expect better of you next time please. I need bait I'll bite to!

Finals are fading? Or not. We still have a chance at finals. Everyone. What the hell!

However they are right cept I don't think they meant it in that way, our hopes are fading unless SOMETHING changes. Let John Mitchell BACK!

....PLEASE? I miss him being in charge and letting his team know when they are playing like absolute idiots. I think it might have helped last night and against the Blues and against the Chiefs and against the Saders if our coach hadn't been sent into the changerooms to tell them 'Oh boys I love the effort you are putting in it's so mean of the chiefs to have got past your defense thirteen million times but your trying and that's what makes my day would you like a lolly and a teenage ninja mutant turtles bandaid to make you all feel better?'

Jeeeeezzzz....

I don't think this rant even belongs in this thread. Whoops.

But I seriously don't know what else could be wrong. Our backs are all but all wallabies. Our loosies are the best in the competition. Our locks are pretty decent at the moment. Our pigs are getting there. But what is wrong with it all? Their boss-man isn't allowed to BE their boss man. And I'm sick of it.

BTW Brownie told me last night he's a 50-50 chance for the Reds.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    BTW Brownie told me last night he's a 50-50 chance for the Reds.
    BROWNIE: We REALLY need you back!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Browns shoulder is obviously a more serious injury than first publiciced. Shoulders can be hard to get right. He might have to go under the knife in the off season?

Controversy corner

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Robyn,is that 50/50 is play against them or join them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Robyn,is that 50/50 is play against them or join them!
    He signed my flag, so he'd better be playing for us AGAINST the red koala-things

He was very chipper though! He'll be OK, we miss you Brownie

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

vCash
    The Lions have shown us a way forward - Leon Boshoff out = unlikely win. Mitchell out = Force make final 4!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    The Lions have shown us a way forward - Leon Boshoff out = unlikely win. Mitchell out = Force make final 4!
    Mitchell has been 'out' for about 3 months now Not completely out, but definetly not 'in'

Plan B -
    'Commitee' out = force win.

Player
    vCash
    The hill has certainly gotten steeper to climb.Hopefully during the bye week,the team can look back on the season so far and work out where they are coming up short.
    The backs and the forwards really need to be on the same wavelength,last week the backs were struggling to breach the sharks defence and seem to run out of ideas or options.I thought the forwards went well against a good pack.Horua improved on last weeks game,valentine had his moments but needs to improve.

The lineouts and scrum went well against 2 springbok front rows.

Overall it was disaappointing to lose in the way that we did,I wasnt that impressed with the Sharks,although their defence wasnt bad.

Looking at the table things are getting pretty tight with only 5 points separating 8 teams.